Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
I'm old so I think the Miller stuff is the quintessential Daredevil. (By the way, massive props to Raffi for reading every single comic about a character. I don't think there is a single long time character where I have read every single issue.) The Miller stuff is beyond good. That one issue where he is holding a revolver to Bulleye's head and discussing their relationship is classic. (I wonder if the Dark Knight film makers were channeling it when the Joker meets Two Face in the hospital?) The thing with Frank Miller is, he is one of the best artists to ever touch a super hero book. John Byrne, Walt Simonson, George Perez, Miller is on their level with a pencil. AND he is also one of the best writers ever.

Miller's Daredevil helped change the industry to what it is now. Unlike Gaiman and Alan Moore, Miller revolutionized super hero comics using mainstream characters and, mainstream continuity is most cases. Over the last 30 20 years, every time someone thinks about adapting Daredevil , I guarantee, reference point one is the origin issue, and the rest is the great Frank Miller stuff.

I collected the Bendis issues in floppies and they were really good. The art is moody and full of shadows, Echo is a great villain, and the whole mood of the book is terrific. His dialogue really worked on that book. It didn't feel so self conscious. I eventually stopped buying the single issues because Bendis' run seemed like it would never end and I had to worry about finances. I am tempted to buy the omnibus. But yeah, get the Miller stuff. Everyone else, Brubaker to Bendis are trying to reach that level. Miller was trying to do something no one had ever done before and those other guys are just trying to keep pace.
Moreorless agree with everything you said. Great points regarding Miller. Just one question, who are you referring to when you mention Echo? She was kind of the villain in Kevin Smith’s run of Daredevil untill Matt put her right but not during Bendis's run.

Btw, if you are able, definitely pick up the Omnibuses. The oversized treatment is the way to go read for optimal reading satisfaction.