Page 312 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2122623023083093103113123133143153163223624128121312 ... LastLast
Results 4,666 to 4,680 of 20773

Question to anyone:
    I m mostly a bronze age reader when it comes to older comics but recently really enjoyed the first Doctor Strange MMW so I thought it s time to try some more Stan LEe stuff. What would yous recommend? I m not sure abut Spider-man, feels like I m not really into the character anymore (same reason I didnt go for the Stern omni) and F4 might be a bit too dated and "trying to find its foot".
    Thor v2 omni maybe? Silver Surfer? Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Yes, a New Mutants volume is coming this summer in IDW's Marvel Artist Select Series:

http://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAY160532
    Meh, any idea how expensive those will be? I would be fine with just a reprint of the trade... come on Marvel!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    Meh, any idea how expensive those will be? I would be fine with just a reprint of the trade... come on Marvel!
    It is $99 at Tales of Wonder.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Question to anyone:
    I m mostly a bronze age reader when it comes to older comics but recently really enjoyed the first Doctor Strange MMW so I thought it s time to try some more Stan LEe stuff. What would yous recommend? I m not sure abut Spider-man, feels like I m not really into the character anymore (same reason I didnt go for the Stern omni) and F4 might be a bit too dated and "trying to find its foot".
    Thor vol. 2 and Silver Surfer are supposed to be good. Avengers and FF both start out harder to read. Probably avoid X-Men. Doom Patrol is my favorite SA book.

Mighty Member

Question to anyone:
    C'mon man! You're missing out on passing up that Spider-Man stuff. Definitely translates the best to the modern age both in readability and the fact it deals with the sort of themes everyone can relate to in life. But hey, if you dont like the character...

Question to anyone:
    Early F4 had some weird issues in there, but i loved all the ones with Sub-Mariner, especially Annual #1. You might like avengers more, because even if the issue isn't very good its neat seeing all the big name heroes together. I'm not a huge spider-man fan either, but Spider-man and F4 seem like the best that the silver age has to offer.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    They both list the same ISBN. Those books were released with different covers at one point - one with Whedon's name more prominent for bookstores. Even if the trade dress is slightly different, as long as one of them isn't mistakenly just the TPB Vol. 1 they will have identical contents - Astonishing has never been collected in two volumes other than by splitting it down the middle.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    They both list the same ISBN. Those books were released with different covers at one point - one with Whedon's name more prominent for bookstores. Even if the trade dress is slightly different, as long as one of them isn't mistakenly just the TPB Vol. 1 they will have identical contents - Astonishing has never been collected in two volumes other than by splitting it down the middle.
    Cheers krisis, again

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Question to anyone:
    I heartily encourage you to read Stan Lee’s Silver Surfer (my review follows shortly) and the first Daredevil Marvel Masterworks (a couple of great artists incl. Wally Wood and Bill Everett, DD's origin, the switch from the yellow to the red costume, one of the best Marvel fights - DD against Namor, first appearances of the Owl, Purple Man, Mr. Fear, Stilt-Man).

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Default Silver Surfer Omnibus

I recently finished the Silver Surfer Omnibus and had an absolute blast reading it. I decided to read it as a kind of “prelude” to the Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus (which I’m reading at the moment), and I was definitely wary of it, fearing it to be too wordy and even boring. Wordy it is, but boring? Not a chance. The first 8 or so issues are around 40 pages before they cut them down to the regular 20+, so you get a nice lengthy story in each of the initial issues. I found the stories very readable and enjoyable and you really warm to the character of Silver Surfer, his nobility, his tribulations. Some have commented that he falls into self-pity way too often in this run and that is a valid point. Are the stories corny? Well yes, some are but they’re a fun read and never once did I feel like putting the book down due to word overload. There was only one story I found slightly irritating and that was The Doomsday Man.

The art by John Buscema is pretty great and along with the fine colouring just beams at you from the pages. His Surfer is more of a sleek version than that of the muscular portrayal by Jack Kirby. In fact, issue #18 which is the last one, has Kirby on the drawing chores, and I have to admit I much prefer Buscema drawing Mr. Radd. I know Kirby created him, but I’m more a fan of Buscema’s version than the beefed up “steroid’ version in Silver Surfer #18. Saying that, however, Buscema’s art seems to get sketchy and the Surfer seems to get “thinner” as you go along, and I’m not sure if it’s more to do with the change in inker from the first 3 excellently drawn issues with inks by Joe Sinnott, to the then later issues inked by Sal Buscema and Dan Adkins.

The binding is slightly tight as it’s glued but the paper and the faux leather cover well make up for it. Overall, probably one of my favourite Omnibuses, and one I won’t be parting with in a hurry.

I posted over on the MMW boards in the Omni survey as well. My choices were:

1. Hulk by Peter David & Todd McFarlane vol 1
    Incredible Hulk 320-360 + Web of Spidey 44 + FF 320 + Avengers Annual 17 + Iron Man 247

2. Hulk by Peter David & Dale Keown vol 2
    Incredible Hulk 361-393 + Annual 16-17 + material from DD Annual 6 + Silver Surfer Annual 3 + Punisher Annual 3 + Iron Man Annual 12 + AWC Annual 6 + Avengers Annual 20 (Lifeform & Subterranean Wars Annual x-overs)

3. Hulk by Peter David, Joe Casey & Adam Kubert vol 5
    Incredible Hulk 449-474 + Annual 1997 + Hulk & Sub-Mariner Annual 1998

4. Hulk by Peter David, Dale Keown & Gary Frank vol 3
    Incredible Hulk 394-425 + Annual 18-19 + material from Silver Surfer Annual 5 + Dr Strange Annual 2 + Namor Annual 2 (Return of the Defenders Annual x-over)

5. Hulk by Peter David vol 4
    Incredible Hulk 426-448 + Cutting Edge 1 + Savage Hulk (1996) 1 + Hulk vs Venom 1 + Hulk Hercules Unleashed 1 + Onslaught Marvel Universe 1 + Heroes Reborn The Return 1-4 + Annual 20

6. Uncanny X-Men by Chris Claremont vol 4

7. Amazing Spider-Man by Micheline & Erik Larsen (ASM 329-350 + Annuals & one-shots)

8. Amazing Spider-Man by Micheline & Mark Bagely (ASM 351-393 + Annuals & x-overs with other Spidey titles for relevant issues "Pursuit" x-over, etc)

9. New Mutants vol 1 by Claremont

10. Hulk by Stern, Starlin, Mantlo & Buscema
    Incredible Hulk 200-268 + Annuals

I realize the page counts on #10 are not logical, but by the time I finished my list I didn't feel like looking up the exact #s. Probably a more realistic scenario would be starting around #220ish.

Also, I totally forgot to list a GR Omni! D'oh! I'd buy a Bronze Age or the 1990s Danny Ketch series, either one! I've only ever read an issue here and there of either series.

EDIT: I also see now, in looking back, that I misplaced the Heroes Return limited series. Oh well. They get the general idea!

Lastly, they didn't ask, but I wish the question had also included "What Omnis that are now out of print, do you most want reprinted?"

My list would include all three ToD volumes, Ultimates, Eternals and Astonishing X-Men.
    Last edited by grahamgg; 05-25-2016 at 06:25 AM.

my picks:

1 - X-Factor: Peter David (Madrox: Multiple Choice + vol. 3, #1-24)

2 - X-Factor: Peter David Government team (X-Factor #71-98+annuals; except for #87 to 92->included in fatal attractions)

3 - Moon Knight Omnibus Vol. 1

4 - X-Men by Alan Davis Omnibus vol.1 (X-Men #85-94,X-Men ’99 Annual, X-Men: Magneto War #1, Uncanny X-Men #366-374,Wolverine #140-144, Hulk #7-8, Cable #71, Gambit #8-9, Astonishing X-Men #1-3)

5 - X-Men: Legacy by Mike Carey Omnibus

6 - New Mutants by Zeb Wells + Andy Lanning Omnibus

(Love the original run but i think it's guaranteed it will be omnified with the upcoming movie)

7 - Punisher Omnibus vol 1

8 - Excalibur Omnibus Vol. 1

9 - Infinity War omnibus (Infinity War #1-6 + crossovers :Warlock and the Infinity Watch #7-10, Alpha Flight #110-112, Captain America #408,Daredevil #310, Deathlok #16,Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme #42-47, Fantastic Four #366 - 370, Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1 #27-29, Marc Spector: Moon Knight #41-44, Marvel Comics Presents #108-111, Quasar #38-40, Silver Surfer vol. 3, #67-69, Sleepwalker #18, Spider-Man #24,Wonder Man #13-14 )

10 - Cable Omnibus by Ladronn (Cable by Ladronn #48-70 )

Question:

So Star Wars Darth Vader OHC vol 1 is issues 1-12.

Per Amazon advanced solicit, vol 2 contains: STAR WARS: VADER DOWN 1, STAR WARS 13-14, DARTH VADER 13-15, DARTH VADER ANNUAL 1, DARTH VADER 16-19. It's supposed to come out in FEB 2017 per Amazon.

BUT, it was just announced that the series will be ending with issue 25.

So, either they will (A) redo the current solicit (which is not set in stone anyways) to go up to issue 25 and just be a rather large-sized OHC, or (B) leave vol 2 as-is and either put the last 7 issues in a smallish vol 3, or perhaps put something else in vol 3 as well to 'pad it out' - perhaps the obi-wan and Anakin 5-issue mini, since that's sort of the same character??

What do you all think? I'm guessing they'll just make vol 2 bigger and call it done at that. I don't think we've gotten a true solicit for this OHC vol 2 yet anyways, so the Amazon 'fish' could just be a placeholder.
    *While this might get the omnibus treatment one day, as it's Star Wars so it's akin to printing money for Marvel, hence being available in every darn format available eventually, I prefer OHCs now, and so this is why I'm speculating.

Thanks!
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

^^It's possible that there will be some sort of follow-up after Darth Vader that could be added into a Volume 3 alongside issues 20-25 of Darth Vader.

I'm sure Darth Vader wasn't cancelled on a whim, so they've probably considered the length of the series when planning the contents of OHCs. My guess is they won't re-solicit, but rather Volume 3 will include more than just 20-25. Maybe the first arc of the next ongoing? Maybe a miniseries? Too early to tell.