Page 531 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 314314815215275285295305315325335345355415816311031 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,965 of 20773
    Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diagrid3 View Post
    Hi all,

First post. Normally a lurker, but I saw something I wondered if any one could confirm.

Speedyhen has a listing for the X-Men Claremont and Lee omnibus with a publication date of 30/06/2017.

Is this getting a reprint?

Thanks,

Niall

No. A reprint of this book at this time would be solicited first, and we have Marvel's solicits up until August already and there isn't one for this. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I dont think it's fair to call them 'underprintings' - Marvel printed the amount they found to be financially a success and sold them through. They cant reprint another few thousand and hope they get bought just to suit what is likely quite a small number of people who dont own these books, especially when they'll make more money releasing a whole new omnibus of material the majority dont already own.

I think it's better they print a lower number and see them sell out and that has to be better than they take a huge loss like they seem to have done done with a good 50% of the omnis released the last few years that just got clearanced, because if that keeps happening, Marvel will kill the line.

It makes sense to keep some titles from the big franchises evergreen, but the more niche titles - not so much.
    what you say makes sense on paper but I think MArvel has a bit of a disconnect with their costumers and what they want. Also they probably did a lower print run on UXF and Annihilation because they've seen the poor sales of other omnibuses or seen that lots of them are still in stock but probably didn't really consider it that those books had really high print runs.
    I honestly think it's just a bunch of businessmen looking at numbers and making decisions without looking up the reasons behind those numbers.

Incredible Member

Just grabbed the complete Civil War 7 vol OHC set, Spidey included, for $320. I think I now have all my must have OOP Marvel books.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Aren't print runs also based largely off of preorders? When I preorder an omnibus from DCBS 6 months in advance of its release, I assume that's the reason. They look at preorder numbers and use previous sales figures from similar books to estimate what additional percentage needs to be printed. This is just me guessing though--I mean, it makes sense to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    This was the biggest no-brainer "omnibus that will sell out fast and command $$$ on the secondary market" that Marvel has ever released.
    I was only just getting into collecting at the time so I wasn't really aware of how it all worked yet.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I was only just getting into collecting at the time so I wasn't really aware of how it all worked yet.
    Don't worry Andru, most of us can absolutely relate to you. It's the select few that make snarky comments like Orion.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diagrid3 View Post
    Hi all,

First post. Normally a lurker, but I saw something I wondered if any one could confirm.

Speedyhen has a listing for the X-Men Claremont and Lee omnibus with a publication date of 30/06/2017.

Is this getting a reprint?

Thanks,

Niall
    Funny you saw this, I saw this on Book Depository 2 days ago. But now it says unavailable again.

Fantastic Member

Amazon.ca currently has the long OOP Vol 2 of the Invincible Iron Man Stan Lee Omni listed as 'usually ships in 2-4 weeks" or something like that. Weird...

...actually 1-3 months..

https://www.amazon.ca/Invincible-Iro...on+man+Omnibus

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I skimmed over it about a year or so ago. Did not enjoy the writing, and the art was as 90's as Deodato ever got, in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'd skip it unless you're a completist. And even then, the single issues can be found for less than half the outrageous price they're asking.
    Sounds good, thanks guys.

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    X-Force sold a hundred zillion copies back in the day. I think the #1 is the second most sold issue of a comic ever? It was a hot, "buzzed" book for Marvel for a few years there, with a very distinct (love it or hate it) style. Of course Marvel would think there's a commensurate market for an omnibus there, and that it warranted the large print run. Thing is the reputation of the material hasn't held up over the years. And I'd guess Marvel was aware of that, but didn't have any data from previous sales trends suggesting it factored in. They do now, ha.

I'd guess the Elektra complete collection is probably not much but mid-90s cheese. And even as an impossibly horny teenager the pinup art in my LCS of Deodato's Elektra made me feel gross and ashamed of my hobby rather than turned on. I mean it's really overdone. I'll be picking this up because Deodato's similar art didn't ruin my enjoyment of William Messner-Loeb's Wonder Woman, so it probably won't ruin my enjoyment of Elektra if the stories are any good. If they're any good. I'm not really expecting they will be--I mean it's a hell of a hill they'd have to climb considering everything--but only one way to find out, right?

Idk how many copies are left, but I don't think it is even nearly the worst performer. That award might go to

XStatix (this thing is still kicking around my lcs', and it came out forever ago)
    Evolutionary War
    Marvel NOW

Or something along those lines

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    He is in Marvel's collected editions department and does layout and research but he doesn't decide what gets published. Apparently he just works on whatever is already coming down the pipe and makes suggestions on content (what comics will be reprinted in what collection, bonus materials, etc).
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. Was curious. That said, it's too bad the jackasses that do make the decisions don't come on these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    He is in Marvel's collected editions department and does layout and research but he doesn't decide what gets published. Apparently he just works on whatever is already coming down the pipe and makes suggestions on content (what comics will be reprinted in what collection, bonus materials, etc).
    Didn't he start out just advising too? I didn't realize he actually worked in the department.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    some of these like the crossing or X-force are like mould. You just can't get rid of them.
    Can't help but think these 90's books that no one asked for and some of the early stuff that got wwaaaay overprinted are responsible for recent underprintings that sold out within a couple of months like UXF and Annihilation.
    I bought The Crossing when it was liquidated for about $15 hoping that once it sold out the price would go up. Seems like any time an omnibus goes out of print, people suddenly want it, regardless of quality. Not so much with that one.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. Was curious. That said, it's too bad the jackasses that do make the decisions don't come on these boards.
    Well, I wouldn't join a Board that even before I joined called me a jackass ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik K. Kristensen View Post
    Well, I wouldn't join a Board that even before I joined called me a jackass ;-)
    I would! LOL...I'd call myself . . . . The JACKASS!