Page 649 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1495495996396456466476486496506516526536596997491149 ... LastLast
Results 9,721 to 9,735 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    "Hickman is too cold and calculating" is such a lazy criticism bereft of original thought. It's also absurd when held against his actual work. His Fantastic Four has more heart and emotion than any recent superhero yarn from the big two.
    His Fantastic Four one was so good, one of the best marvel runs ever. To bad Fraction was a horrible follow up and then marvel decided to just kill it off.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    His Fantastic Four one was so good, one of the best marvel runs ever. To bad Fraction was a horrible follow up and then marvel decided to just kill it off.
    Agreed. He made me care about the FF more then I thought I could.
    Cyclops was right

"Hickman is too cold and calculating" is such a lazy criticism bereft of original thought. It's also absurd when held against his actual work. His Fantastic Four has more heart and emotion than any recent superhero yarn from the big two.
    But it's still not good.

Looking for a recommendation on a Spider-Man Omnibus...

I currently have Amazing Spider-Man 1-3 & Spider-Man by Roger Stern.

I very much enjoy all 4 books as well as Slott's Big Time & Superior Spider-Man.

Out of the few other Spider-Man omnibus floating around, which one do you all recommend I pick up & why?

Spectacular Member

And they are only intertwined in the omnibus where they need to be. You vastly prefer stopping midway through one OHC to pick up the other? You vastly prefer having an entire half of an OHC be repeated again in another OHC?
    The only instance of that is in New Avengers 1, and you can jump right into Infinity seamlessly without returning. Everything else can be easily read one book at a time. So yes, I prefer that. Plus the OHCs have the advantage of portability, and for many people are easier to read due to weight and size.

Spectacular Member

His Fantastic Four run is my favorite comics run of all time. Full of amazing character, themes, and the feels... oh the feels. The opposite of cold in every way.

I didn't say it was a negative thing. In fact, I said I liked Hickman. Being critical of something doesn't mean someone thinks it's bad.

I also never said his FF run was cold and calculating. I didn't specify any run actually. It was a general statement about his writing.

I also didn't say "too." I simply said his writing was "is cold, calculated," which is pretty accurate. It's not a negative thing.
    Last edited by ER Prest; 07-09-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Looking for a recommendation on a Spider-Man Omnibus...

I currently have Amazing Spider-Man 1-3 & Spider-Man by Roger Stern.

I very much enjoy all 4 books as well as Slott's Big Time & Superior Spider-Man.

Out of the few other Spider-Man omnibus floating around, which one do you all recommend I pick up & why?
    If you like the SA stuff then you'll like Busiek's Untold Tales which takes place between issues of volume one. His writing is more modern but with a SA feel - meaning it's easier to read.

And of course there's Ultimate SM vol one by Bendis.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    If you like the SA stuff then you'll like Busiek's Untold Tales which takes place between issues of volume one. His writing is more modern but with a SA feel - meaning it's easier to read.

And of course there's Ultimate SM vol one by Bendis.
    2nd for Untold Tales. It does a good job of finding the dead spots in the SA continuity and pulls of stories you can believe could have been there.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Amazing Member

Here is the Hickman Avengers omni if you're interested . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZRRjig6ryU

I realize this is totally subjective, but compared to other Silver Age material, how is the Daredevil omnibus?

I'm tempted to get it with IST's sale at $56, but I'm also fearful that if I dip my toes into DD, I will feel the gravitational pull to collect ALL of his omnis, and there's just so much, even with reprints.
    BUT, having said that, I'm a sucker for SA material, and would like to know how it compares to other Lee SA stuff?

It's probably not FF/SPidey great otherwise we would've got this omni long before now, but is it Thor or X-men level awful? Somewhere in the middle? Totally forgetful? Thanks for reading.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I realize this is totally subjective, but compared to other Silver Age material, how is the Daredevil omnibus?

I'm tempted to get it with IST's sale at $56, but I'm also fearful that if I dip my toes into DD, I will feel the gravitational pull to collect ALL of his omnis, and there's just so much, even with reprints.
    BUT, having said that, I'm a sucker for SA material, and would like to know how it compares to other Lee SA stuff?

It's probably not FF/SPidey great otherwise we would've got this omni long before now, but is it Thor or X-men level awful? Somewhere in the middle? Totally forgetful? Thanks for reading.
    Love silver age Spider-Man and FF, but read Daredevil and could not get to into the silver age stuff. I also enjoyed silver age Thor so you may enjoy Daredevil more then I did. I would not call it horrible just could not get into it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    Not laughable, just opinions that differ from yours.

I think my main problem with his Avengers is just how pretentious it all comes off.

There is a scene early on where Tony tells Steve something like "if you activate the mechanism, they will answer the call" when referring to basically calling in the team.

"Activate the mechanism", I mean come on. I just can't get past stuff like that, and it's everywhere in his run.
    I like Hickman's plots and how they unravel but I would agree that his Avengers run pretty much turned the characters into gears whose sole purpose was to move the plot along. Very little character and you nailed it on the head with the way they talk. I remember after the first few issues going back to that first convo between Cap and I.M. trying to figure out what I missed.

I kept thinking, "adding more team members couldn't have been all they were discussing. It sounded so heavy and deep!" They even had some fancy idea blue print info graphic flow chart thing. I was sure that I was missing something. Nope, they really just meant adding more members.

Scratching my head on this one. The last 4-5 issues of Times Runs Out are some of the most jaw-dropping, emotional, fun, crazy, thought-provoking issues Marvel has put out in years.
    I hate that it devolves into another poorly thought out Civil War. I feel like every event now is two groups of heroes trying to kill each other.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    His Fantastic Four run is my favorite comics run of all time. Full of amazing character, themes, and the feels... oh the feels. The opposite of cold in every way.
    I enjoyed is FF quite a bit too. And I liked his Secret Wars a lot. I was expecting another tiring alternate take on the Marvel universe but ended up really enjoying it.

And I think my favorite event of all time is Infinity.....after Onslaught of course!

Its so infrequent we get real long solid runs of a book. I was so appreciative that Hickman was able to do what he did with Avengers. Really if you als factor in his FF work and the SHIELD stuff its is great long term storytelling. You just don't get that anymore in Marvel Comics. The characterization criticisms are legit same with the dialogue. I always wanted to see a run where Hickman did the long term plotting, Spencer the short term plotting and Bendis or Slott doing the issue writing.