Page 1222 of 1233 FirstFirst ... 2227221122117212121218121912201221122212231224122512261232 ... LastLast
Results 18,316 to 18,330 of 18492

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    I need to get the reprint of the Aaron Star Wars omni, right?

(someone please enable me lol)
    Right!

Mighty Member

I got an email from Amazon stating that the New Mutants Omnibus Volume 2 is being pushed back to January 2022.

Fantastic Member

I need to get the reprint of the Aaron Star Wars omni, right?

(someone please enable me lol)
    Oh hell yeah. But even moreso, you must get the Gillen Darth Vader reprint too. I'm not even a big SW fan but damn did I like that (along with the Dr. Aphra omni).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    Well, this whole spine/paper thickness thing was the last straw I needed to quit purchasing omnibus volumes. After the Hickman X-Men, I am pretty much done.

I've been collecting them since 2012, and over time I have come to realize that they really aren't worth the money when you consider...
    -book make quality: several of my omnis have page blocks that are now separating from the spine. The Morrison New X-Men is a good example: heavy paper block (b/c it was made w/ thicker paper) has gradually fallen apart. And I treat my books very very well.
    -price point: This most recent ASM Omni retails for 150.00 in Canada. Now, even w/ an Amazon discount, the book shipped at 125.00. It's just getting too expensive when you consider the above.

From now on I am going to focus on OHCs (a much better buy when you consider how well the books hold up and how much easier they are to read) and deluxe TPBs (like Epics and Complete Collections).

I know that the idea of omnis are cool: a big fat collection that contains several issues in one place (in some cases a complete run), but the reality is much different when compared to the idea. And I guess I'm just done w/ being taken for a product that is not worth the price.
    Omnis are essentially cheap quantity over quality publications. I don't get how they became seen to be this premium format- its strange to me to see people bang on about oversized when the panels are no bigger than Masterworks editions. Most are unwieldy and not fun to read, they are easily damaged because of the weight as well. I think some of the second hand market prices in the past have pushed people to think its a premium format, but I'm only really getting new ones when there is no paperback edition or I don't really know if I'm going to like the material. I'm even preferring Epics for a lot of the runs I like.

Anyone have a link where I can view the covers to upcoming releases? Need to place my DCBS order and they aren't showing the covers to the Marvel omnis.

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    ... the panels are no bigger than Masterworks editions.
    Yes, they are.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    Omnis are essentially cheap quantity over quality publications. I don't get how they became seen to be this premium format- its strange to me to see people bang on about oversized when the panels are no bigger than Masterworks editions. Most are unwieldy and not fun to read, they are easily damaged because of the weight as well. I think some of the second hand market prices in the past have pushed people to think its a premium format, but I'm only really getting new ones when there is no paperback edition or I don't really know if I'm going to like the material. I'm even preferring Epics for a lot of the runs I like.
    QFT, especially the bold parts!

It took me 10+ yrs and thousands of dollars to get on the same page.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    QFT, especially the bold parts!

It took me 10+ yrs and thousands of dollars to get on the same page.

Personally, I'm offended by the sheer blasphemy being spewed from you heathens.

I cherish my omniboo the way I cherish every waking moment with the true love of my life, as well as the day my son was born.....That said I do prefer absolutes over omnis. Also, Dark Horse seems to make much better quality omnibus collections than DC & Marvel. Better quality paper, better binding, etc....Plus, they have those cool library editions of the original Hellboy comic. The fact Dark Horse is able to create books like that at reasonable prices shows DC & Marvel are going the cheap route for extra cash, but what can you do?

I'll still buy omnis, as omnibus collections & absolutes are my preferred method of collecting. I only buy TPBs or deluxe hardcovers when omnis & absolutes aren't available options.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-22-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Oh hell yeah. But even moreso, you must get the Gillen Darth Vader reprint too. I'm not even a big SW fan but damn did I like that (along with the Dr. Aphra omni).
    Ok ok, now you're going too far

(but ok I'll probably get the Darth Vader omni too since you talked me into it...)

Edit: Is the Soule Vader not so great? Or just not on the level of Gillen?
    Last edited by j0nnyboy; 09-21-2021 at 10:28 PM.

(but ok I'll probably get the Darth Vader omni too since you talked me into it...)

He thought he didn't need to mention that one since it's .... logical

Gillen's a better writer than Soule (In my opinion), but Soule's Vader run is far more fun. It has a few bad spots (Especially the final arc), but the entire premise of Vader hunting down jedi who weren't around during the purge just draws you in.

That said, although I enjoyed it and recommend it to any Star Wars fan, it's not as good as it should have been. For example, the conclusion to Vader's fight with Kirak Infil'a was downright weak. Kirak had all this build-up, then he's more than impressive while he fights Vader, but then the end of the fight had such a weakly written conclusion that it almost boggles the mind.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Gillen's a better writer than Soule (In my opinion), but Soule's Vader run is far more fun. It has a few bad spots (Especially the final arc), but the entire premise of Vader hunting down jedi who weren't around during the purge just draws you in.

That said, although I enjoyed it and recommend it to any Star Wars fan, it's not as good as it should have been. For example, the conclusion to Vader's fight with Kirak Infil'a was downright weak. Kirak had all this build-up, then he's more than impressive while he fights Vader, but then the end of the fight had such a weakly written conclusion that it almost boggles the mind.
    That's interesting regarding the conclusion.. Soule's Daredevil run is one of my favourite Daredevil runs bar the final arc. It was such a great read and then the conclusion - I've talked about this before and I won't go into details as some of you may be picking up the Soule Daredevil Omnibus and have not yet read it so I don't want to put any spoilers out. I still would recommend it as I personally enjoyed it a lot. A slow burn for the first few issues and then hard to put down.

So does Soule have a problem at times with closing off his runs? I kind of felt his Inhumans was interesting but kind of seemed to go nowhere. I do know that he had one more story to tell with Daredevil but didn't get the chance which was a shame as I would have craved to read more. Btw, his She-Hulk run was a lot of fun.

Fantastic Member

re: Soule's Vader... I remember thinking it was above average. The glimpse that we got into his inner psyche was pretty interesting. For me, Gillen's run still outshines it though. I'd say, buy the Gillen reprint, then if you like that, get the Soule run. They're also both self-contained arcs, whereas Aaron's SW continues on past the first omni.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Personally, I'm offended by the sheer blasphemy being spewed from you heathens.

I cherish my omniboo the way I cherish the every waking moment with the true love of my life, as well as the day my son was born.....That said I do prefer absolutes over omnis. Also, Dark Horse seems to make much better quality omnibus collections than DC & Marvel. Better quality paper, better binding, etc....Plus, they have those cool library editions of the original Hellboy comic. The fact Dark Horse is able to create books like that at reasonable prices shows DC & Marvel are going the cheap route for extra cash, but what can you do?

I'll still buy omnis, as omnibus collections & absolutes are my preferred method of collecting. I only buy TPBs or deluxe hardcovers when omnis & absolutes aren't available options.
    The bolded is where I'm at.

re: Hellboy LE... I'm doing a reread of Hellboy via the four paperback omnis, but I've owned the library hardcovers before. Those are excellent builds. I like Image's OHCs too, like Deadly Class, Saga, Paper Girls, East of West.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    That's interesting regarding the conclusion.. Soule's Daredevil run is one of my favourite Daredevil runs bar the final arc. It was such a great read and then the conclusion - I've talked about this before and I won't go into details as some of you may be picking up the Soule Daredevil Omnibus and have not yet read it so I don't want to put any spoilers out. I still would recommend it as I personally enjoyed it a lot. A slow burn for the first few issues and then hard to put down.

So does Soule have a problem at times with closing off his runs? I kind of felt his Inhumans was interesting but kind of seemed to go nowhere. I do know that he had one more story to tell with Daredevil but didn't get the chance which was a shame as I would have craved to read more. Btw, his She-Hulk run was a lot of fun.
    As far as modern Daredevil goes, Soule's run is second only to Waid's for me. And while I wanted to love his She-Hulk, it was really brought down by the art I think; I don't know why Marvel thinks Shulkie only deserves highly stylized cartoonish art.

Overall, I think Soule's DC work (Swamp Thing!) is better than his Marvel stuff, despite the disparity in quantity.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES