Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

FANTASTIC FOUR EPIC COLLECTION: THE MASTER PLAN OF DOCTOR DOOM TPB (NEW PRINTING)
    Volume #2 in the Fantastic Four Epic Collections
    Written by STAN LEE
    Penciled by JACK KIRBY
    Cover by JACK KIRBY
    ON SALE MARCH 2021
    Lee and Kirby set the standard for out-of-this-world imaginative adventure and launched the Marvel Universe in the pages of FANTASTIC FOUR. Now, with all the MU super hero players in place, it’s time for the FF to run the gauntlet! The Thing throws down with the Hulk in a battle so huge it takes the combined might of the FF and the Avengers to stop it! The Sub-Mariner makes a play for Sue Storm! The FF tangle with the X-Men! Nick Fury drops by in the story that set the table for “Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.”! And even Doctor Strange makes an ever-so-astral appearance! Plus: Two jam-packed annuals featuring Sub-Mariner’s invasion of New York…and the origin of Doctor Doom! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #19-32 and ANNUAL #1-2.
    448 PGS./Rated T …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92828-5
    Trim size: 6-5/8 x 10-3/16

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    Thanks for the updates Raffi, glad Wolverine Vol. 2 is happening.
    You're very welcome Joe.

Yeah, very glad also regarding Wolvie 2. I've been waiting a long time for it. I think I'll go with the BWS Variant cover, although, it would probably fit better as a variant cover to Vol. 1.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Since I have the Miller/Klaus DD Omni I guess there is no reason to get the MMW from this point. Only issue #162 is in this that isn't in the Omni. The next few MMW will cover the bulk of Miller fare.

What do most folks do when confronted by this dilemma?

On another note super pumped about the Wolverine vol.2 Omnibus! It'll be a time when I'm fine with the standard cover.
    I think that Vol. 15 will also be my last MMW Daredevil as I have the Omnibuses also. Although, saying that, if they keep producing the MMWs and get to Denny O'Neill's run and still no Epics, I probably will pick them up. Then again, being a Daredevil CE completist and fan, I might just keep collecting the MMWs

I bought the floppy Daredevil #162 several years ago in order to complete my run of Daredevil but I will be happy to finally get it in a CE. Bizarre Adventures #28 also isn't in the DD Miller/Janson Omnibus but it's in the Elektra Omnibus.

What exactly is so special about the MMW books compared to a regular OHC? I assume there's something about them, given their high prices...

Spectacular Member

Its Marvel's premium format; binding, paper quality, restoration, also ease of reading. The one criticism is that MMW is smaller size than an Omnibus, but if you compare the panels any difference is neglible. In fact, I think the panels for the Magik miniseries were bigger in the MMW than in the Omnibus version.

A lot more goes into getting a MMW up to the required standard because the efforts done in terms of restoration. You know if you get a modern MMW that these are the best images available, and there will be improvements over previous releases. That's why I'll be replacing all of my X-men OHC from Mutant Massacre onwards with MMW when they get to the same issues. I get that its expensive for collecting everything, but if there's something I really like (like X-men), or something that I can't get elsewhere (Sub-Mariner, original Captain Marvel, Marvel-two-in-One, Marvel Team-up), I've found it well worth the prices.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    CONAN THE BARBARIAN EPIC COLLECTION: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS – HAWKS FROM THE SEA TPB
    Volume #2 in the Conan the Barbarian Epic Collections
    Written by ROY THOMAS with MICHAEL MOORCOCK, JAMES CAWTHORN & BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH
    Penciled by BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH with GIL KANE & JOHN BUSCEMA
    Cover by BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH
    Marvel’s first and best sword-and-sorcery epic continues — with iconic tales by writer Roy Thomas and artists Barry Windsor-Smith, Gil Kane and John Buscema! First, Conan the Barbarian’s path crosses with the albino antihero Eric and his soul-stealing sword Stormbringer! Then, on the shores of Bal-Sagoth, Conan meets a new comrade in arms, the mighty Fafnir. Together Conan and Fafnir sail the Vilayet Sea and join the mercenary forces of the War of the Tarim, a holy conflict between Makkalet and Turan! It’s a saga of adventure, intrigue and loss, which shows the true face of war! And don’t miss the full-color adaptation of Robert E. Howard’s Conan classic, “The Frost Giant’s Daughter” — and the first appearance of Thomas and Windsor-Smith’s Red Sonja! Collecting CONAN THE BARBARIAN (1970) #14-26.
    288 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92655-7
    Trim size: 6-5/8 x 10-3/16
    Why are the Conan Epics for the original Marvel years so much smaller than every other Epic? This one is a good 200 pages smaller than the others this month.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Why are the Conan Epics for the original Marvel years so much smaller than every other Epic? This one is a good 200 pages smaller than the others this month.
    Not that price tag though...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

I bought the floppy Daredevil #162 several years ago in order to complete my run of Daredevil but I will be happy to finally get it in a CE. Bizarre Adventures #28 also isn't in the DD Miller/Janson Omnibus but it's in the Elektra Omnibus.
    Same here, as well as issues 147-157 to bridge the gap between Essential Vol 6 and the Miller run.

I am really tempted to get that Star Wars Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    Its Marvel's premium format; binding, paper quality, restoration, also ease of reading. The one criticism is that MMW is smaller size than an Omnibus, but if you compare the panels any difference is neglible. In fact, I think the panels for the Magik miniseries were bigger in the MMW than in the Omnibus version.

A lot more goes into getting a MMW up to the required standard because the efforts done in terms of restoration. You know if you get a modern MMW that these are the best images available, and there will be improvements over previous releases. That's why I'll be replacing all of my X-men OHC from Mutant Massacre onwards with MMW when they get to the same issues. I get that its expensive for collecting everything, but if there's something I really like (like X-men), or something that I can't get elsewhere (Sub-Mariner, original Captain Marvel, Marvel-two-in-One, Marvel Team-up), I've found it well worth the prices.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    Same here, as well as issues 147-157 to bridge the gap between Essential Vol 6 and the Miller run.

I am really tempted to get that Star Wars Epic.
    I'll be getting that one, but I'm really waiting for v6 (which I presume is) Crimson Empire. Now that Dark Empire is officially solicited, I'm basically waiting on three more DH-era Epics from Marvel (which I presume will be called Menace Revealed 3, Clone Wars 4, and NR 6). At some point, they'll get to Shadow of the Empire in the Rebellion era, too, but that seems a ways off . . .
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

POWER PACK CLASSIC OMNIBUS VOL. 2
    Written by LOUISE SIMONSON, JULIANNA JONES, STEVE HEYER, JON BOGDANOVE, TERRY AUSTIN, JUDITH BOGDANOVE, DWAYNE MCDUFFIE, MICHAEL HIGGINS, SETH KRUCHOW, SHON C. BURY, JONATHAN HICKMAN, DEVIN GRAYSON & MORE
    Penciled by SAL VELLUTO, JON BOGDANOVE, JUNE BRIGMAN, WHILCE PORTACIO, TOD SMITH, GRAY MORROW, MIKE MANLEY, ERNIE COLÓN, STEVE BUCCELLATO, TOM MORGAN, CHRIS WOZNIAK, COLLEEN DORAN, NEIL EDWARDS, NICK DRAGOTTA, MARIKA CRESTA & MORE
    COVERS BY JON BOGDANOVE & JUNE BRIGMAN
    Share the growing pains of Marvel’s super-powered siblings, Power Pack! Still getting used to their mixed-up abilities, Alex, Julie, Jack and Katie take on an old foe — with help from the New Mutants! But the Bogeyman becomes more monstrous than ever amid a demonic invasion that changes everything! The Punisher drops by, Franklin Richards returns and the Pack heads to space for a revelation-filled rematch with the Snarks! The kids struggle with peer pressure, pollution and puberty — and Alex goes through some very unexpected changes! But will the Powers’ powers ever go back to normal? Collecting POWER PACK (1984) #37-62, EXCALIBUR (1988) #29, POWER PACK HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1, POWER PACK (2000) #1-4, FANTASTIC FOUR (1998) #574, FF (2011) #15, POWER PACK (2017) #63, POWER PACK: GROW UP! and material from MARVEL SUPER-HEROES (1990) #6 and MARVEL FANFARE (1982) #55.
    1056 PGS./Rated T …$125.00
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93036-3
    Trim size: 7-1/4 x 10-7/8

I used to get IST packages sent to my office. When quarantine started, Power Pack volume 1 was sitting in our mailroom. That was eight months ago, and I find it absolutely wild that I may very well have volume 2 on my shelf before volume 1.

Thanks for the updates Raffi! Glad to see Wolverine omni #2 coming out for you finally.

And thanks to those on the Excalibur feedback. Sounds like I bailed on the title too soon back then, I'll have to check out Davis' second run when I go through that era of X-titles. Maybe I'll cave and get the omni eventually anyway.

Marvels choices baffle me sometimes..... mostly what they choose NOT to Reprint.

Power Pack? Man thing? Heroes Return? These are C level comics.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    How's that Spider Gwen omnibus stack up against the ohc/deluxe books? Is it the same material collected?
    About 3/4 was released in the OHCs. Unfortunately there was supposed to be a fourth OHC but it never came out. Also, this includes all parts of the Spider-Women crossover, where the OHC only included the Spider-Gwen issues.
    Frustrating that it somehow wasn't popular enough to release one last OHC, but they can release an omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Marvels choices baffle me sometimes..... mostly what they choose NOT to Reprint.

Power Pack? Man thing? Heroes Return? These are C level comics.
    Agreed. I understand silver age (and even bronze age) is not everyone's cup of tea, but you could reprint Avengers vols 1 + 2, or go to Busiek era, heck, so many books to reprint. Or as far as new-to-omnibus material, forget the "we have to have a movie for silver age material" mantra (outside of x-men, of course), and release Hulk vol 2, Iron Man vol 3, Cap vol 3 (to fill gap up to Kirby), or even go more modern like into the 80's, 90's, onwards. So much material to mine, and we get weird things. I'm happy for those who want them, and I'm a big fan of the Simonsons, but I'm not getting the Power Pack omnis; not for me.

Even within certain lines, the books the choose sometimes are baffling. Why omnibus Avengers the Gathering instead of Galactic Storm? Or better yet, why not start omnibusing Stern's run? Or Gru's run on Cap? Or put out a Avengers West Coast vol 3 (ignoring Byrne omni), or... or... or... we could go on and on.

I realize Omnibus collecting is a niche market inside of a niche market inside of yet another niche market. I do understand that. But then to go yet another level deeper, like with Man-Thing, or Marvel Classics, etc... - I don't deny having these is cool for certain people, like the 40's and 50's era stuff from Timely, etc... - but they have to know they have material that more people are clamoring for then, right? Oh well. We'll take what we can get, and just not buy those that don't interest us individually, that's how the free market works.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.