Page 616 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1165165666066126136146156166176186196206266667161116 ... LastLast
Results 9,226 to 9,240 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

I'm a little bummed about the Waid Cap omnibus after having bought the Man Without a Country Epic Collection. Would we expect future Epics to include the 1998 relaunch and Sentinel of Liberty?

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    The fear is real for everyone of us. I don't know if anyone else outside of US experience this, but it is really hard for me to sell off the the TPBs and HCs when I upgrade them to omnibus. No buyers even when I'm selling them for dirt cheap.
    You're not alone on that.

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    The fear is real for everyone of us. I don't know if anyone else outside of US experience this, but it is really hard for me to sell off the the TPBs and HCs when I upgrade them to omnibus. No buyers even when I'm selling them for dirt cheap.
    That's why most of the books I buy on paper are Omnibus editions. Otherwise, whenever I wish to upgrade I end up losing considerable amounts of money. On the flip side, It helped make me more selective with what I end up buying.

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblegardener View Post
    I'm a little bummed about the Waid Cap omnibus after having bought the Man Without a Country Epic Collection. Would we expect future Epics to include the 1998 relaunch and Sentinel of Liberty?
    Doubtful. The SoL series was launched shortly after the Heroes Return Cap book by Waid/Garney. Basically after a few months the Cap books switched artists with Kubert jumping over to Cap while Garney jumped over to SoL and did a few issues. As I recall the final few SoL issues weren't even by Waid/Garney. I had that OHC once upon a time. It was ok, but nothing super great. Kind of a untold stories from the past type of book. The goal of the Epics was to collect the core series, in order, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't include an entire 12 issue stand alone series in the Epics "just because".

Spectacular Member ComicBookNoob's Avatar

Default Help with Daredevil TPBs and HCs

Hello Everyone,

So I just finished the Frank Miller run of Daredevil in the TPBs, and I recently got the Daredevil Epic Collection: Touch of Typhoid book. But there's a small gap between Born Again and Touch of Typhoid, is there another book in between those two or is that just how it is? Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

Also, I've been using this as a guide,
    http://www.comicbookherald.com/daredevil-reading-order/
    Check out my blog: http://comicbuffet.blogspot.com/

Favorite DC Heroes: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Green Arrow, The Ray
    Favorite Marvel Heroes: Daredevil, Spider-man, X-23, Iron Man, Iron Heart
    Currently Reading: Robin Vol 4, Iron Man, Teen Titans, Titans, Justice League of America Vol 5, Champions Vol 2, Invincible Iron Man Vol 3, Frank Miller's Daredevil

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookNoob View Post
    Hello Everyone,

So I just finished the Frank Miller run of Daredevil in the TPBs, and I recently got the Daredevil Epic Collection: Touch of Typhoid book. But there's a small gap between Born Again and Touch of Typhoid, is there another book in between those two or is that just how it is? Any info would be appreciated, thank you.

Also, I've been using this as a guide,
    http://www.comicbookherald.com/daredevil-reading-order/
    The short answer is no, save for a few issues crossing over with some X-Men events.

You can check out this amazing guide (actually a series of guides) from our very own thread contributor Krisis.

http://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-c...raphic-novels/

I can't tell you how often I'm checking in with Krisis's guides. (Often.)

Thank you, Krisis!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Doubtful. The SoL series was launched shortly after the Heroes Return Cap book by Waid/Garney. Basically after a few months the Cap books switched artists with Kubert jumping over to Cap while Garney jumped over to SoL and did a few issues. As I recall the final few SoL issues weren't even by Waid/Garney. I had that OHC once upon a time. It was ok, but nothing super great. Kind of a untold stories from the past type of book. The goal of the Epics was to collect the core series, in order, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't include an entire 12 issue stand alone series in the Epics "just because".
    Thanks, sounds skippable. What about the 1998 series? Have any of those relaunches made it into Epics yet?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblegardener View Post
    Thanks, sounds skippable. What about the 1998 series? Have any of those relaunches made it into Epics yet?
    Not yet. The closest we've seen is Epic collections of characters that had multiple series up into the 90s. The Doctor Strange Epics have collected his original series (formerly Strange Tales), the series that began in 1974, and the series that began in 1988. The Silver Surfer Epic has collected his early appearances and his 1982 one shot and 1987 series. They have left room to collect his original series for Vol 2. And the Punisher epic has his 1987 series, but will probably cover his early appearances and his initial mini series.

But right now, Marvel has not collected anything beyond the mid 90s. I think one of the problems is the constant crossovers that began in the late 90s. It will make collecting these harder since they try to include the crossover issues from other titles so you get the complete story. An example is the upcoming Avengers epic that covers Galactic Storm. It will collect only 3 issues from the Avengers series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Not yet. The closest we've seen is Epic collections of characters that had multiple series up into the 90s. The Doctor Strange Epics have collected his original series (formerly Strange Tales), the series that began in 1974, and the series that began in 1988. The Silver Surfer Epic has collected his early appearances and his 1982 one shot and 1987 series. They have left room to collect his original series for Vol 2. And the Punisher epic has his 1987 series, but will probably cover his early appearances and his initial mini series.

But right now, Marvel has not collected anything beyond the mid 90s. I think one of the problems is the constant crossovers that began in the late 90s. It will make collecting these harder since they try to include the crossover issues from other titles so you get the complete story. An example is the upcoming Avengers epic that covers Galactic Storm. It will collect only 3 issues from the Avengers series.
    I believe the Wolverine Shadows of Apocalypse Epic collected issues thru 1999, maybe even 2000.
    The furthest Cap Epic: Man Without A Country ended in 1995 at Onslaught.
    The furthest DD Epic: Widows Kiss closed out the original series in 1998.
    The furthest FF Epic: Strange Days ended in 1995 at Onslaught.
    There's a 90s Doc Strange Epic upcoming which would be mid-90s.

No one knows for sure, but it seems like Marvel is targeting the mid-90s / Heroes Reborn era as the stopping point for most titles. We haven't seen any core MU books go beyond that point yet (except for Wolverine which was not a rebooted title).

I suppose the rationale for that is that most series from the late 90s onward were collected in some format at one time or another. There are still plenty of gaps of uncollected material in the mid to later 90s but generally by 1999 or so TPBs became more widespread and regularly collected. Other indirect evidence is that Marvel released some fat X-Men TPBs recently "Road to Onslaught" which were Epics in all but name. They collected both X-Men series plus annuals, one shots and crossover issues. Why weren't they Epics? Dunno.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Looking to pick up the Doctor Strange OHC when released, is it a good starting point for someone who has only seen the movie and not read any of his solo books?
    Edit: is it okay to ask this kind of question here or should i go to the marvel forum?

All-New Member

So is the McFarlane SpiderMan Omnibus w/ the 90's stories worth the money or is it a pass in most people's book?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmh1981 View Post
    So is the McFarlane SpiderMan Omnibus w/ the 90's stories worth the money or is it a pass in most people's book?
    If you're a fan of McFarlane it's worth it. I had forgotten how much more dynamic his art in that book was compared to his run on ASM.

Here's my review from last summer that I shared over on the MMW MB.

---
    I've read thru this entire Omnibus the last week. It has been a real trip down memory lane. I remember being awed by the art as a kid as each new issue was published and they were nice to revisit for nostalgia. However, they don't particularly hold up well compared to today's modern comics. Overall I'd give this book a C- on the writing and an A- on the artwork.

For example, apparently the Torment arc takes place over one long night (I think). Why was Calypso using the Lizard? For what purpose? Revenge against Spidey for Kraven dying? It was never clear what her motives were. And the Lizard basically spent the entire arc, when he wasn't EATING PEOPLE, creeping around in shadows with grinning fangs with demonic glowing eyes. And the arc ends in a cliched explosion with nothing really resolved or explained. Next, we have the Hobgoblin 2-parter which was bizarre. Why was Hobgoblin kidnapping/killing people? It almost seemed pointlessly brutal and dark just for the sake of doing something dark and monstrous. By the third arc, while dark and depressing, McFarlane had progressed enough as a writer that the book reads a little better. I honestly think the Perceptions arc is the best in the Omnibus. It's not a great story by itself, just the best in this book.

It's also now obvious in retrospect, McFarlane is one really messed up dude. Many dark and disturbing themes used in Spawn were first featured in McFarlane's Spider-Man title. Kidnapping, torture, abuse and murder of children is repeated again and again across McFarlane's work. It's shown in the Hobgoblin 2-part story, immediately thereafter in the Perceptions arc (rather graphically in some cases where the characters actually dig up bodies) and again in Spawn. That's not something I think anyone finds enjoyable to read or think about yet McFarlane showcases it again and again.

I think this Omnibus best serves as a proto-Image/Spawn book. Check out the characters in the Sub City arc. One looks like a dead ringer for the Violator Clown which later showed up in Spawn. Also there are several analogues through the series that could easily have been Sam & Twitch and various garbage dwelling bums from Spawn. You can really tell that McFarlane was trying hard and the book sold a bazillion copies, so it was obviously a success but it's easier now to see the series' faults when revisited thru a modern lens.
    ---

Anything with McFarlane art is a pass. Need I even mention 90s Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Anything with McFarlane art is a pass. Need I even mention 90s Marvel?
    Right on cue...