Page 363 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2633133533593603613623633643653663673734134638631363 ... LastLast
Results 5,431 to 5,445 of 20762
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

My last two cents: I don't have any comic shops or used book stores anywhere near where I live, and I don't have the money to go to conventions or anything. If I can't get it online for a decent price, I can't get it at all. For some things, if there no reprint, I'll never be able to get it in the format I want. The anti-reprint mindset is very exclusive to people like me, who have no way of getting the books we want following methods. I'd love a Simonson Thor, or Lee Silver Surfer, but I'll never get them without a reprint. It's just not possible.
    Cyclops was right

Incredible Member

We should have a top 10 reprint list like the top 10 most wanted list.

Here's mine

1. Ennis Punisher
    2. Wolverine Vol 1
    3. Astonishing X-Men
    4. Daredevil by Bendis Vol I & II
    5. Daredevil by Brubaker Vol I & II
    6. Simonson Thor
    7. Messiah War
    8. Iron Man Vol 2.
    9. Immortal Iron Fist
    10. Silver Surfer

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    We should have a top 10 reprint list like the top 10 most wanted list.
    I can't think of 10 but my top 5 would be:

1. Simonson Thor
    2. Astonishing X-Men
    3. Spider-Man Michilinie/McFarlane (Surprised this isn't talked about, much)
    4. Deadpool by Joe Kelly
    5. Brubaker's Cap Omni's

Like a lot of users, I got into the game late (My first omni was in February) and as a result, I've missed out on a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlow View Post
    I have only seen it sold out on Amazon, but DCBS/IST trade still has plenty.
    it's still in stock on amazon.ca too, although it's gone up $25 since last week.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    My last two cents: I don't have any comic shops or used book stores anywhere near where I live, and I don't have the money to go to conventions or anything. If I can't get it online for a decent price, I can't get it at all. For some things, if there no reprint, I'll never be able to get it in the format I want. The anti-reprint mindset is very exclusive to people like me, who have no way of getting the books we want following methods. I'd love a Simonson Thor, or Lee Silver Surfer, but I'll never get them without a reprint. It's just not possible.
    I'm the same, Plus i'm from Australia so the shipping makes it hard enough as it is.

Again, collect what you want.

Apologies for derailing the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlow View Post
    I have only seen it sold out on Amazon, but DCBS/IST trade still has plenty.
    It was also out of stock on cgn for a couple of days. But they got more it seems. My guess is that diamond still has stock, and hatchette doesn't but who knows.

Suppose I'll weigh in on some of the subjects of the last few pages.

First, I'm on the side that these omnibuses are collectibles, and a collectible surcharge once they go OOP is fair. These aren't original graphic novels. They're enhanced reprints of issues available in other formats. They're oversized, they come with extras, and they look great on display. But if you can't get ahold of an omnibus and you want to read the story, you usually still can. It may not be your preferred format, but it's still doable. And in the case of Marvel, with their Marvel Unlimited service, even when a book is in print you're voluntarily spending more than you have to. Because it's all right there for only $60 a year. (I know there are exceptions to this, like Max titles and books like Captain Britain and MOKF.) And I love that these are collectible. It's nice to have one form of entertainment that I spend my money on actually maintains it's value. Can't say the same for most of my floppies or my blu-rays. Maybe it's because I lived through all the false promises of the speculator era, but it's nice to have comics that turn out to be a good investment. As someone who's hit hard times on and off since I started collecting omnibuses, it's been very helpful knowing that I can get my money back on all these expensive books when I needed to sell some belongings to help pay bills. Makes it an easier decision to buy them in the first place.

That being said, I'm pro-reprint on high-demand books. I started buying these big books in 2012, and by then I missed quite a few myself. So I get it. I was never going to spend $200 on Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1. Now, thanks to a reprint, I have it. And it only cost me $50. But there is a downside to reprints. These books take up a lot of space on store shelves and warehouses. Amazon's stock doesn't exist in a pocket dimension, after all. So there are only so many titles that can be in print at one time. Which means every reprint potentially takes away a new title. That could mean we're waiting longer for Uncanny X-Men Vol. 4 because that allotted slot went to reprints of Vol. 1 & 2.

As for the hunt, it's not the same anymore. I'm 39 years old, so I'm equally familiar with life pre and post-internet. Thanks to ebay, amazon, etc, you're usually only hunting for a good price. Back in the day, price didn't matter as much as actually finding the comic you wanted for sale in the first place. There are exceptions, obviously. For a year, my white whale was Strangers In Paradise Vol. 3 Part 7. Wasn't really a cost factor. It just wasn't for sale anywhere online, except for one third-party seller on B&N that wanted $400. It's so rare that when I finally obtained a copy and brought it to Terry Moore to have signed, he actually tweeted a picture of it to his fans as proof it exists. And yet, finally getting that book can't compare to the victory I felt when I was a young X-Men fan, finding a copy of X-Factor #19 in a long box at a mini-convention in my local mall after months of making my parents pull the car over every time we drove past a comic store I'd never been to, or going to every local convention big or small, just to find a copy of an issue that only cost $8 once I actually found it. (This also goes towards why I have no sympathy for people who insist on waiting for an omnibus or trade collection when they can just read it digitally. Back then, with the exception of major stories like Dark Phoenix Saga, it was back-issues or nothing. Now you're spoiled with choices.)

And as far as Master Of Kung Fu getting a reprint, I wouldn't count on it. This wasn't a case of Marvel finally deciding to reprint it themselves. They had to deal with right's owners signing off on usage after years of being denied. Situations like this usually come with clauses, like exactly how many copies are allowed to see print. This is probably why all four volumes were guaranteed before the numbers were in. IMHO, if this is something you want or even something you're just curious about, I would order it while you can from IST since they still have it in stock. Feels like a situation where once it's gone, it's gone.
    Last edited by csista; 06-28-2016 at 10:52 PM.

All-New Member

yea it would be nice if Marvel reprinted other omnibus as much as they reprint stuff like Uncanny x-men. I

Spectacular Member

Anyone notice the sharp spike in Millar's Wolverine Omnibus?

BANNED

Well I caved in and bought Masters of Kung Fu for 72€

Wow. Ennis Punisher Omnibus is over $1k on Amazon. As much as OOP books tend to have absurd prices on Amazon, I've never seen any get even close to that amount. I think $400-$500 has been the limit. Guess that makes it the all-time champ for OOP Marvel omnibuses.
    Last edited by csista; 06-29-2016 at 02:40 AM.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Did this not happen to Annihilation: Conquest? It disappeared about 2 weeks after release, then a month later, loads of them appeared?

That's what I was thinking, but I certainly bow to your knowledge (especially seen as I use your website for pretty much everything!)

Side note, quick question, the Bucky Barnes: The Winter Solider series - if that was to be collected, what filler stuff would you include? I know an 11 issue OHC is possible, but is there anything else that could or should go in that book to just make it a bit bigger?
    Winter Soldier: The Bitter March was a story set during his time as a brainwashed Soviet assassin which I think was 4 or 5 issues? Also the Original Sin Annual, which was NOT included in the O.S. OHC and also the best part of O.S. should be collected in the deluxe format.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Wow. Ennis Punisher Omnibus is over $1k on Amazon. As much as OOP books tend to have absurd prices on Amazon, I've never seen any get even close to that amount. I think $400-$500 has been the limit. Guess that makes it the all-time champ for OOP Marvel omnibuses.
    I recall seeing at least $5000 on Amazon and posting it a few years ago. Hell if I can remember what volume it was, though.

Amazing Member

I think this was discussed a while back but I wanted to revisit the subject for myself.

I have a few OOP omnibuses that are available in other formats (complete collections or partly in epics) and I am considering selling them off for the profit and just replacing them. I am having a hard time talking myself into parting with them though. Honestly I'm not even sure that the omnibus format is my favorite format to read comics. I like that they have the over-sized art and its all in one place and I like the hardcover, but the fact that weigh too much to hold comfortably in my lap and I probably don't want to read 25-50 issues of something at a given time means that they tend to stay on my shelf more than smaller sized books. I wonder if I collect and covet these omnibuses because of the mystique and the perceived prestige of them more than the actual content or enjoy-ability of them. Does anyone else share in this conundrum and/or have any advice on the subject?