Page 1044 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 445449449941034104010411042104310441045104610471048105410941144 ... LastLast
Results 15,646 to 15,660 of 20730

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Loved Thor in that run. And I loved how Hickman expanded the Maker/Reed Richards, even though I think it was Bendis that made Ultimate Reed a villain in the first place.

Ultimates and Fantastic Four are great Hickman runs and thematically linked to his Avengers/Secret Wars stuff. His Fantastic Four is among some of my favorite Marvel runs.
    It took me a long time to warm up to his Fantastic four, especially around the one off issues, like the Inhumans one with the multiple wives. I was very confused.
    Also Johnny's death fell very flat for me, but when it all started ramping up in the second half I've enjoyed it much more.
    His Avengers on the other hand just felt grand from the get go and kept escalating and just felt like bigger, bolder and more significant than any other event. And when it ended I remember thinking "that's it, I don't need to read any other Avengers books ever again".
    (ps: this is coming from someone who much prefers self contained stories that long running superhero continuities, despite growing up with those).

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Loved Thor in that run. And I loved how Hickman expanded the Maker/Reed Richards, even though I think it was Bendis that made Ultimate Reed a villain in the first place.

Ultimates and Fantastic Four are great Hickman runs and thematically linked to his Avengers/Secret Wars stuff. His Fantastic Four is among some of my favorite Marvel runs.
    Absolutely; I love it so much

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    It took me a long time to warm up to his Fantastic four, especially around the one off issues, like the Inhumans one with the multiple wives. I was very confused.
    Also Johnny's death fell very flat for me, but when it all started ramping up in the second half I've enjoyed it much more.
    His Avengers on the other hand just felt grand from the get go and kept escalating and just felt like bigger, bolder and more significant than any other event. And when it ended I remember thinking "that's it, I don't need to read any other Avengers books ever again".
    (ps: this is coming from someone who much prefers self contained stories that long running superhero continuities, despite growing up with those).
    Ah; Hickman is definitely a long form writer have you seen this image of his plans for Fantastic Four

To me this is pure crack, I love; and I mean LOVE long term story telling

This level of long term planning on a writer's part makes everything matter and not feel last minute.

BANNED

Yeah Hickman’s worldbuilding is crazy. He maps out everything and pays close attention to continuity. I believe he posted something similar showing his X-Men plans or continuity map.

I like that he will often have guides for readers to follow in the books, too.

Yeah Hickman’s worldbuilding is crazy. He maps out everything and pays close attention to continuity. I believe he posted something similar showing his X-Men plans or continuity map.

I like that he will often have guides for readers to follow in the books, too.
    Really!? If possible could you post it?

I would really appreciate it!

Not gonna lie, his X-men is a bit scary to me, with all the other titles spinning off of the main series written by others. His Avengers was confusing at first with the alternating titles, but we had the omnibuses at least so it was easy to read, but not sure how the X series will work out.
    He is kinda like Morrison to me, wherever they do something big there's gonna be spin offs and tie ins but I never care about those, only the titles written by Morrison/Hickman.

But I can't wait to read it, I feel like Hickman is one of the very few writers who can make me care about the superhero plots. I'm much more into the personal relationships than the fighting usually, but his concepts were just so big I couldn't not care.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Really!? If possible could you post it?

I would really appreciate it!
    Apologies— I tried looking but can’t find the photo I was thinking of, I might have confused it with the data pages from the original issues, which are pretty similar. He mentions it a bit in interviews too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Not gonna lie, his X-men is a bit scary to me, with all the other titles spinning off of the main series written by others. His Avengers was confusing at first with the alternating titles, but we had the omnibuses at least so it was easy to read, but not sure how the X series will work out.
    He is kinda like Morrison to me, wherever they do something big there's gonna be spin offs and tie ins but I never care about those, only the titles written by Morrison/Hickman.

But I can't wait to read it, I feel like Hickman is one of the very few writers who can make me care about the superhero plots. I'm much more into the personal relationships than the fighting usually, but his concepts were just so big I couldn't not care.
    I’m really enjoying it. Like in his Fantastic Four run he pays close attention to continuity. I like how he spotlights lesser-used X-Men and goes at length to describe different mutants’ powers, making seemingly mundane abilities extraordinary. There’s definitely been some controversy but I feel like all of the “controversial” moves fit in with the regular tone of the X books, the whole premise of the X-Men is sort of based on moral dilemma and there is plenty of that with this in different varieties... the more I read the more I see that much of who is in the right or wrong is left for the reader to decide. I’m excited to see how it all unfolds over the years.

Wish Rachel Grey would get more of a spotlight... he left her off the “definitive” list of omega mutants, which made me a little sour.

Apologies— I tried looking but can’t find the photo I was thinking of, I might have confused it with the data pages from the original issues, which are pretty similar. He mentions it a bit in interviews too though.

I’m really enjoying it. Like in his Fantastic Four run he pays close attention to continuity. I like how he spotlights lesser-used X-Men and goes at length to describe different mutants’ powers, making seemingly mundane abilities extraordinary. There’s definitely been some controversy but I feel like all of the “controversial” moves fit in with the regular tone of the X books, the whole premise of the X-Men is sort of based on moral dilemma and there is plenty of that with this in different varieties... the more I read the more I see that much of who is in the right or wrong is left for the reader to decide. I’m excited to see how it all unfolds over the years.

Wish Rachel Grey would get more of a spotlight... he left her off the “definitive” list of omega mutants, which made me a little sour.
    No worries; I know he must have his series bible somewhere and we may see it in a deluxe HC of his X-Men run.

After this conversation; I started to reread his Fantastic Four and Avengers run and I totally forgot how much he telegraphed his intentions in Dark Reign: FF; talk about being consistent with a vision.

Hickman truly embodies what I think of when I think "great storyteller" I cannot wait to get to Avengers and see Reeds descent into madness: "Everything Dies"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    No worries; I know he must have his series bible somewhere and we may see it in a deluxe HC of his X-Men run.

After this conversation; I started to reread his Fantastic Four and Avengers run and I totally forgot how much he telegraphed his intentions in Dark Reign: FF; talk about being consistent with a vision.

Hickman truly embodies what I think of when I think "great storyteller" I cannot wait to get to Avengers and see Reeds descent into madness: "Everything Dies"
    yeah he's really meticulous with it and even the stuff he sets up really early on comes full circle. T'challa and Namor go from an uneasy partnership to them trying to kill each other, and it isn't done to sell books or have two badasses fight, Hickman really tries to make you understand, with all the intricacies, why they hate each other and how that hatred grows over the issues.

Stephen Strange too is greatly thought out as a character and his role in Secret Wars makes a lot of sense with all of the development in New Avengers.

I thought Cap was wrong. but the stories where he goes to the future and meets people like Franklin (directly out of the FF run) and the different versions of Kang was so cool.

Amazing Member

Swamp Thing Omnibus is back up there right now...

Spectacular Member

You know how you keep checking the fridge even though you know there's no food there? That's me checking IST and CGN all the time for restocks.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    You know how you keep checking the fridge even though you know there's no food there? That's me checking IST and CGN all the time for restocks.
    I mean, it seems like that's pretty much what you have to do now. They're restocking stuff at random times..

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    I mean, it seems like that's pretty much what you have to do now. They're restocking stuff at random times..
    Tuesday afternoons just seem so blah now... :-(
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Tuesday afternoons just seem so blah now... :-(
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way haha

Spectacular Member

Bendis' Daredevil omnis are back in stock at IST. Finally finallyyyyyy I was able to get both volumes
    Last edited by Crossfist; 05-14-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Bendis' Daredevil omnis are back in stock at IST. Finally finallyyyyyy I was able to get both volumes
    Marvel recently reprinted them according to Diamond, so they should hopefully be back in stock everywhere. Well, everywhere currently open and receiving deliveries.