Cool, I wanted the Ultimate SM series in omni's.

Incredible Member

New IST releases pushed to tomorrow due to weather.

Had no idea that Ultimate Spider-Man was so sought after. If I had, I would've sold it. Good book, but not worth keeping if I could've gotten a couple hundred for it. That's the thing with buying Omnis when they first come out - I don't keep track of if they stay in print and their value. Because while I'll happily buy many for under $100, there's very few I'll keep if I can sell it for over $200.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    Another Spider-Man omnibus reprint has been announced by NMC. I've got the singles so won't be bothering with this one, but apparently lots of people are excited for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHLPe3DdJ8A
    Not a series I'm interested in and frankly this continuity is now going on 20yrs old and about as "irrelevant" as those who say the same of the OG Kirby/Lee material.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

In other and separate news I'm posting this cause not all my get the IST emails.

This weeks books delayed release on the site once again...till tomorrow(allegedly).
    IST_delay_no2.jpg

Frankly I'm fine if they release them on the site. A delay in shipping isn't an issue.
    I just want my order recorded. Surely they know the quantity incoming and can track orders.
    Then thusly cut off orders at 'X' threshold.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Not a series I'm interested in and frankly this continuity is now going on 20yrs old and about as "irrelevant" as those who say the same of the OG Kirby/Lee material.
    Ultimate continuity is irrelevant, sure, but this version of Spidey is a modern origin story and way more accessible than the Lee issues. What would you rather give a new reader: Amazing Fantasy 15 or Byrne's origin or the Bendis version? Same with 1960s Avengers versus the Ultimates.

Yes Bendis has fallen out of favor, but that's irrelevant insofar as the quality/accessibility of this particular run. And yes, Lee did in 1 issue while Bendis took a dozen, etc.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Ultimate continuity is irrelevant, sure, but this version of Spidey is a modern origin story and way more accessible than the Lee issues. What would you rather give a new reader: Amazing Fantasy 15 or Byrne's origin or the Bendis version? Same with 1960s Avengers versus the Ultimates.

Yes Bendis has fallen out of favor, but that's irrelevant insofar as the quality/accessibility of this particular run. And yes, Lee did in 1 issue while Bendis took a dozen, etc.
    I would hand on my heart give Amazing Fantasy #15. That's what I did with my 11-year old son. He's a massive Spidey fan. Also did the same to the 16-year old daughter of friends and she's now collecting all of Spidey Vol. 1 in Masterworks and Epic Collections. She's not interested in Ultimate Spidey.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I would hand on my heart give Amazing Fantasy #15. That's what I did with my 11-year old son. He's a massive Spidey fan. Also did the same to the 16-year old daughter of friends and she's now collecting all of Spidey Vol. 1 in Masterworks and Epic Collections. She's not interested in Ultimate Spidey.
    Did you only ever give them AF 15? Or did you give them USM in a vacuum and they rejected it?

Lol I'm not trying to empirically prove that 100% of the time new readers of whatever age will prefer early aughts comics with flashier art versus stuff from the 60s. But there's a reason so much of the MCU draws from modern comics. I feel that if you showed 1960s Avengers to someone versus Ultimates 1, in more cases than not they'll be more enticed by Ultimates, regardless of the merits of quality or what have you.

Anyway, USM should be omnibus'd to its end! If we can have two volumes of Cloak and Dagger, we can have USM!

Hands down I'd give them Amazing Spider-man #1 by Lee/Kirby. It is Peter in his authenticity. For sure not Byrne or Bendis. The Bendis Peter is not true enough he is too "hip" and together. Not Peter.

But there's a reason so much of the MCU draws from modern comics.
    Modern comics that spin out of every 616 continuity established by Lee/Kirby etc.
    Modern does not equal Ultimates Universe.

Yes they from whole cloth took MU Nick Fury.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 02-18-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Incredible Member

Hands down I'd give them Amazing Spider-man #1 by Lee/Kirby. It is Peter in his authenticity. For sure not Byrne or Bendis. The Bendis Peter is not true enough he is too "hip" and together. Not Peter.
    Does this not sound like gatekeeping to you? The one you grew up with is the authentic one, and all others are fake?

Incredible Member

Modern comics that spin out of every 616 continuity established by Lee/Kirby etc.
    Modern does not equal Ultimates Universe.

Yes they from whole cloth took MU Nick Fury.
    They took more than Fury from the UU.
    And I know modern does not equal UU; I meant modern more as in not the 60s.
    Did X-men movies not having yellow spandex make them less authentic?

Does this not sound like gatekeeping to you? The one you grew up with is the authentic one, and all others are fake?
    One is original, all others are remakes. Some remakes can be better than the originals, but there will still only be just the one original.

Authentic isn't my choice, that is what the company has decided. There is a reason that the roots, personalities and look of the characters derive from the 616 and not UU.
    Having splashes of Modern or even UU is a nice nod in places but Marvel Entertainment knows what made the characters popular on a wide scale.

X-Men in leather was a byproduct of the time it was developed at the end of the 90s. For that time it was the right choice. However, given the MCU films it is clear it could be done with authenticity, accepted and not seem silly now.

All-New Member

How do you receive these update emails from IST?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by snw21 View Post
    How do you receive these update emails from IST?
    I didn't opt in or anything, just have an account and I started getting them.