Page 264 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1642142542602612622632642652662672682743143647641264 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Good day gents,

I've been rereading Secret Warriors since I can't afford all these lovely new books. Was wondering if someone could help me out.

Alexander and Ares; are these two featured in any other comics (dark reign or otherwise)? Specifically the story about grasshopper, or was that an idea of Hickmans for the series itself. I know the Secret Warriors make appearances in Avengers and Secret Invasion, but anything beyond that?
    Here'a a complete listing of Alexander's appearances. http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=12841

The comic book data base is where I always go to look up a character regarding their appearances. It's definitely one of, if not the best site to get information regarding a character. Enjoy.

Sorry, here's Ares. http://comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=4832
    Last edited by smc123; 04-07-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Would siege and thors be ok reading for someone whos never read arrons thor or any thor for that matter and never read siege?
    You'll be fine without reading the originals. The Secret Wars tie-ins have nothing to do with those runs other than basic theme. They're both pretty good miniseries, although Siege has kinda sketchy art. Both have story bits that are very relevant to what happens near the end of Secret Wars.

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

can i read avengers vs xmen without the companion or will it not make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    It's fine on its own. I've read it a couple of times and really like it but I've never bought into the hype of an event which has allowed me to see them as nothing more than mini series.

I really want to like Messiah Complex (Schism and HoM were both pretty great reads) but I dunno. I feel like there's too much going on to keep up, but that might be because I'm still a little baby x-reader. I felt the same way about Final Crisis reading it when I barely knew anything about the DCU. (I haven't been in a hurry to reread it now that I'm more acclimated, either)
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    If you are talking about the OHC version, it is still listed on IST, so I am assuming it is still in print.
    Cheers Andru. Hopefully it gets ordered in by Speedyhen.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I have ASM vol1 tpb (all new I think, donno exactly, it's not for me) on backorder from them for like 3 weeks now. And it was listed In stock when I ordered it. Are they getting weird with their Marvel stuff maybe?
    Hmm, might have to drop them a line and see what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Strange View Post
    Yep. I think it has been for a while.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superior-Spi...rior+spiderman
    Noo! conflicting information!

:|

Might be worth cancelling the order and getting it from Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    I really want to like Messiah Complex (Schism and HoM were both pretty great reads) but I dunno. I feel like there's too much going on to keep up, but that might be because I'm still a little baby x-reader. I felt the same way about Final Crisis reading it when I barely knew anything about the DCU. (I haven't been in a hurry to reread it now that I'm more acclimated, either)
    Messiah Complex is fantastic but from what I remember you do need to know a decent amount of X history to really appreciate it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Messiah Complex is fantastic but from what I remember you do need to know a decent amount of X history to really appreciate it.
    That's right. It was my first collected edition X-Men Crossover some years ago when I did not have much knowledge of the X universe or comics at atll and I loved it (beautiful art, a storyline following multiple characters and much more violence than I would have expected).

But did I really get the stroyline? Not at all. That being said: Now as I own a huge X books collection I can really appreciate it (some of the plots go back literally decades (who is THE traitor, Purifiers), others are really well done iterations of X-Man topoi (Prof X "dying", Gambit Sinister relation, the team falling apart, etc. etc.) and again other plotlines were build up in beautifully the run which started with Supernovas I think. And it also introduced a new version of X-Force. It also opened up scenarios which I really enjoyed (most part of the Cable book after and the killsquad book from Kyle and Yost).

If you are still with me: it is a shame that the New X-Men book (Academy X and Childhood's End) is NOT collected in complete collections. I never really got the story lines that ended in Messiah Complex because these trades are so expensive (at least in Europe).
    I hoped for a collection of the run when X 23 became more important again after the Death of Wolverine. It did not happen. Sorry for the outburst.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I think it will make sense, and only seemed slightly rushed in the middle without context (particularly on the Phoenix 5 and their actions outside the main book).

Very generally (it's been a while since I've read it), Uncanny X-Men focused on the actions of the Phoenix 5, Wolverine and the X-Men eventually began to focus on the mutant resistance to them, and New Avengers filled in the Iron Fist / Hope story. The others were less essential.

Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I think poolovision dissects this much better directly above, but here's my take:

I felt like Messiah Complex was very much a "come back to reading X-Men" crossover, and while it helps to know who all the factions and their significance, the actual story is pretty much a clean slate of post-HoM status quo save for Rogue's being MIA from the action from the story immediately preceding. Like, yes, all those New X-Men are going to be confusing and it references tons of stuff, but what they're doing is pretty straight-forward chase story.

This as opposed to Second Coming, which was awesome fun but required you to know a lot about the past two years of plot to hang together.
    Last edited by krisis; 04-08-2016 at 07:02 AM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    That's right. It was my first collected edition X-Men Crossover some years ago when I did not have much knowledge of the X universe or comics at atll and I loved it (beautiful art, a storyline following multiple characters and much more violence than I would have expected).

But did I really get the stroyline? Not at all. That being said: Now as I own a huge X books collection I can really appreciate it (some of the plots go back literally decades (who is THE traitor, Purifiers), others are really well done iterations of X-Man topoi (Prof X "dying", Gambit Sinister relation, the team falling apart, etc. etc.) and again other plotlines were build up in beautifully the run which started with Supernovas I think. And it also introduced a new version of X-Force. It also opened up scenarios which I really enjoyed (most part of the Cable book after and the killsquad book from Kyle and Yost).

If you are still with me: it is a shame that the New X-Men book (Academy X and Childhood's End) is NOT collected in complete collections. I never really got the story lines that ended in Messiah Complex because these trades are so expensive (at least in Europe).
    I hoped for a collection of the run when X 23 became more important again after the Death of Wolverine. It did not happen. Sorry for the outburst.
    Yeah it was a very deep and rich story but for someone coming in fresh I can see how it wasn't the easier to start with.

You should give the Marvel Unlimited subscription service a go if you want to catch up with the comics post Messiah Complex, I'm sure pretty much all of them are there.

I just wanted to add one thing: you can read and enjoy AvX without the companion, but you can't really enjoy the companion without AvX.

I've been reading some of the issues that are in the companion, and it is really dependent on what's going on in the main event book.

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    It's fine on its own. I've read it a couple of times and really like it but I've never bought into the hype of an event which has allowed me to see them as nothing more than mini series.
    Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I think it will make sense, and only seemed slightly rushed in the middle without context (particularly on the Phoenix 5 and their actions outside the main book).

Very generally (it's been a while since I've read it), Uncanny X-Men focused on the actions of the Phoenix 5, Wolverine and the X-Men eventually began to focus on the mutant resistance to them, and New Avengers filled in the Iron Fist / Hope story. The others were less essential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taral-DLOS View Post
    I just wanted to add one thing: you can read and enjoy AvX without the companion, but you can't really enjoy the companion without AvX.

I've been reading some of the issues that are in the companion, and it is really dependent on what's going on in the main event book.
    thanks for the help guys! i've been wanting to read it for a while but been putting it off. looks like its OOP now so i have to check ebay and such. i have the wolverine and xmen omni so pretty much only need to pick up schism and the uncanny xmen 1-4 for it to all make sense?

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

thanks for the help guys! i've been wanting to read it for a while but been putting it off. looks like its OOP now so i have to check ebay and such. i have the wolverine and xmen omni so pretty much only need to pick up schism and the uncanny xmen 1-4 for it to all make sense?
    Schism is worthless. Wolverine and Cyclops had a fight about whether young mutants should have to fight for their survival. There - you're done.

Gillen's Uncanny X-Men was AMAZING. I don't think you need to buy it proactively. If you read AvX and find yourself saying, "Why is Colossus acting like that? What is Emma's deal? Why is Cyclop's so Cyclopsy?" then you should read Uncanny X-Men.
    Last edited by krisis; 04-08-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!