Page 964 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 46486491495496096196296396496596696796897410141064 ... LastLast
Results 14,446 to 14,460 of 20730
    Mighty Member

Since we're discussing DD collections, has Love's Labor Lost been collected anywhere since the 2002 trade (which has unpleasant aftermarket prices)? It's not in any Epic Collection or Omnibus as near as I can tell. I've never read it, but Denny O'Neil on DD seems like something I'd like
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Since we're discussing DD collections, has Love's Labor Lost been collected anywhere since the 2002 trade (which has unpleasant aftermarket prices)? It's not in any Epic Collection or Omnibus as near as I can tell. I've never read it, but Denny O'Neil on DD seems like something I'd like
    AFAIK unfortunately not. Call me old fashioned but Denny O’Neill's run on Daredevil is one of my favourites and is up there with Frank Miller and Charles Soule. Bendis probably comes fourth. On rereads these may change. With regards to O'Neill, he was coming on the heels of Miller's revolutionary run and there were probably high expectations and comparisons. It has its pitfalls and is far from the "quality" of Miller's legendary run but it's definitely a very solid and enjoyable run. O'Neill wrote issues #194-202, 204-207, 210-218, 220-223 and 225-226. Also, the excellent David Mazzucchelli was on art duties with William Johnson giving a kung-fu jive on the earlier issues. I collected most of these issues as a kid and the later ones several years ago when I started my project of reading everything Daredevil.

It would be very cool for this material to see the Omnibus light. We will definitely see it in an Epic Collection at some point. Rg8e question is when?

Quote Originally Posted by Author View Post
    Yes but he said he would announce a new one.

Guess he hasn't yet.
    Yes, they hinted there'll be a new reprint announcement in "a couple of weeks".

Quote Originally Posted by producte View Post
    Yes, they hinted there'll be a new reprint announcement in "a couple of weeks".
    I only have one Omni reprint desire - Immortal Iron Fist.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    AFAIK unfortunately not. Call me old fashioned but Denny O’Neill's run on Daredevil is one of my favourites and is up there with Frank Miller and Charles Soule. Bendis probably comes fourth. On rereads these may change. With regards to O'Neill, he was coming on the heels of Miller's revolutionary run and there were probably high expectations and comparisons. It has its pitfalls and is far from the "quality" of Miller's legendary run but it's definitely a very solid and enjoyable run. O'Neill wrote issues #194-202, 204-207, 210-218, 220-223 and 225-226. Also, the excellent David Mazzucchelli was on art duties with William Johnson giving a kung-fu jive on the earlier issues. I collected most of these issues as a kid and the later ones several years ago when I started my project of reading everything Daredevil.

It would be very cool for this material to see the Omnibus light. We will definitely see it in an Epic Collection at some point. Rg8e question is when?
    Yeah, I'd pick up an omnibus of that material, sure (or a creator complete collection or two). I have no faith in Marvel getting that material into Epic format any time soon - Marvel seems to be going out of their way to avoid the specific epic collections I would like to own (to the point that I don't even want to list them here to help them out).

Last edited by JoeGuy; 10-22-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Brilliant! Thanks
    The Marvel Knights omni can also be found on aftermarket for around $40ish, whereas Shadowland seems to be around $65-70! And Shadowland, from what I gather based on its contents (i don't have it yet) is like the World War Hulk omni, where it's filled with all the ancillary tie-ins, which doesn't always flow well, etc...
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    There was a lot of books unavailable when I started collecting and then went oop as I had to choose. I picked Uncanny X-Men 1-3 instead of A.S.M. 1-3 for example.

I'd love X-Men Onslaught, Astonishing and Fall of the Mutants reprints. Also Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 & 2 and Roger Stern omni's. Plus Annihilation Conquest to go along with the original reprint. Definitely lots I want.
    Amazing Spidey vol 1 was just reprinted in the last week or two. it's available for $58.00 on Instocktrades right now. ;-)
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

I am parting with an Untold Tales of Spider-Man by Kurt Busiek Omnibus (still in the shrinkwrap). This is a great companion Omni to the ASM Vol. 1 Omnibus. Anyone interested, please shoot me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post

You rate Soule's that high?
    I'm currently reading it, I'm just after the whole "Hand in New York" big hoollaballoo and it's fun and good, and reads better than Waid's (which I gave up on because the episodic nature just didn't motivate me to read more) but it's nowhere near to Bendis or Brubaker to me.
    Gonna re read Miller's straight after Soule's cause it's been a while and maybe I won't hate most of it this time.
    Not sure what I don't like about Soule's, I think his plots are very predictable sometimes, to the point where the characters seem stupid for not knowing what's going on.
    Also his new villains are ridiculous garbage, like bronze age Iron man level. In fact I take the Unicorn any day over Tenfingers or Muse (Muse is probably the worst, so edgy and so cliched).

He always manages to throw in some good twists that make me want to read more though but I'm surprised of your high rating.
    Also, while I like Garney's art it took him a while to develop a good visual language for DD. His fight and parkour scenes were super generic and boring, could have been any other street level character. And the chin strap on the black costume is gonna be the death of me. He got better since then and I like his art style in general just not his storytelling (also those pink/red colors in the first arc were really ugly)
    The first fill in artist in the second story arc was so much better, with sometimes "forgetting" drawing the chin strap and his action sequences were much more tactile and logical, down to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    You rate Soule's that high?
    I'm currently reading it, I'm just after the whole "Hand in New York" big hoollaballoo and it's fun and good, and reads better than Waid's (which I gave up on because the episodic nature just didn't motivate me to read more) but it's nowhere near to Bendis or Brubaker to me.
    Gonna re read Miller's straight after Soule's cause it's been a while and maybe I won't hate most of it this time.
    Not sure what I don't like about Soule's, I think his plots are very predictable sometimes, to the point where the characters seem stupid for not knowing what's going on.
    Also his new villains are ridiculous garbage, like bronze age Iron man level. In fact I take the Unicorn any day over Tenfingers or Muse (Muse is probably the worst, so edgy and so cliched).

He always manages to throw in some good twists that make me want to read more though but I'm surprised of your high rating.
    Also, while I like Garney's art it took him a while to develop a good visual language for DD. His fight and parkour scenes were super generic and boring, could have been any other street level character. And the chin strap on the black costume is gonna be the death of me. He got better since then and I like his art style in general just not his storytelling (also those pink/red colors in the first arc were really ugly)
    The first fill in artist in the second story arc was so much better, with sometimes "forgetting" drawing the chin strap and his action sequences were much more tactile and logical, down to earth.
    Soule's run is not "amazing" but it's generally an overall quite enjoyable run which reminds me in parts of Denny O'Neill's run. There are some very high points but also some slow moments. Soule starts of slow but then he gets your heart beating rapidly as he progresses. Soule pleasantly surprised me several times. But yes, there are a couple of "dumb" moments. I'm not a fan of Muse either. I liked Blindspot's involvement in the Muse story. Ten Fingers pops up later in a very good albeit short arc which IMHO could have been fleshed out more. I also didn't take to Garney's art in the first arc and I agree with you that he takes time to develop. I also believe Soule masterfully made Matt's identity secret again.

I think also with Bendis, by the time I had started reading his run I'd heard so much hype I probably expected more. Maybe a reread with no stops ( I initially read it intermingled with other DD appearances and Marvel events) will help. With Brubaker, he started well but there were a few things that knocked my rating down such as Matt's relationship with Dakota North, some partly ridiculous stuff with Vanessa Fisk and his ending with Matt taking over the Hand.

From what I understand Soule also had another story to tell and it kind of shows at the end but Marvel obviously decided that it was Zdarsky’s time.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGuy View Post
    (If you include the Y The Last Man, Flash, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman etc. Omni's) ... That's so many omni's.

I'm seriously going to have to consider my budget and what I want.
    Y The Last Man will be 60 issues in one omni?!?

Mighty Member

Contents aren't listed yet, but Hachette updated with a bunch of the omnibuses and epic collections everyone was expecting - DD by Bendis v1 and 2, Ultimates by Millar and Hitch, X-Men: The Twelve, Spider-Man: Miles Morales; and ASM: Secret of the Petrified Tablet, Excalibur: Curiouser and Curiouser, Punisher: Jigsaw Puzzle. Also found a few interesting ones (i.e. not the next collection in an ongoing):

Acts of Vengeance
    https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/ti...9781302922733/

Sam Wilson Complete Collection v1
    https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/ti...9781302922979/

Thor By Aaron Complete v2
    https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/ti...9781302922955/

No idea what Strikeforce is (video game tie-in?)
    https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/ti...9781302920098/