Page 567 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 674675175575635645655665675685695705715776176671067 ... LastLast
Results 8,491 to 8,505 of 20767

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    HULK: WORLD WAR HULK OMNIBUS Cover by DAVID FINCH:
    There is something about Finche's artwork that rubs me the wrong way. Would rather a JRJR cover...and that's saying something lol.

THOR BY WALTER SIMONSON OMNIBUS Cover by SIMONSON:

Wish they had gone with the variant cover for the re-print. Beta Ray is a cooler character imo and that black border at the top irks me. Not a major complaint though...I'm happy people are finally getting a chance to buy this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger77 View Post
    Everything Rincewind said. I can't remember the last time Omnibused/OHCed a short run like this and while there are connections to JiM each can stand alone. Storywise it fits better with JMS's run since it ties up a lot of the loose ends from that run. Maybe we'll get an expanded JMS Omnibus instead.

There is however plenty of material for an Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen Omnibus...

EDIT: I forgot about Old Man Logan & Origin recently but those seem to be the exceptions.
    Devil Dinosaur too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Is the Thor Returns stuff worth reading? Im currently reading Busieks Avengers stuff and enjoying it a lot and was thinking of checking out more of the Heroes Return era material. Especially with that Cap by Waid Omni coming.
    I'm curious about the general consensus of this Thor run too.

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    You can get everything in OHC (including The Other, Civil War and Back in Black), except for One More Day...that one just got the standard trim treatment. Getting the ultimate collections would be easier/cheaper at this stage. I have a feeling this run will get the omni treatment sooner or later though...but that's just my speculation.
    Also that Civil War : Spider-Man OHC is going to set you back a pretty penny unless the price has dropped recently

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post
    I have Ultimate Collections, which there is 5 volumes of, not 4.

There's no Omnibus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dbrewer75 View Post
    Also that Civil War : Spider-Man OHC is going to set you back a pretty penny unless the price has dropped recently

Well, I thought The Other was expensive, but just looking at the TPB Ultimate Collection volume 5 - that is NOT cheap either

I guess we will see it get the Omnibus treatment at some point, but - counting the pages of the TPBs, there should be enough for 2 volumes here.
    And looking at The Ultimate Spider-man Omnibus, I have little faith in Marvel Omnibus sequels

It's just so strange when you look at some of the other Spider-man stuff that gets omnibi - I mean, according to the hardcover titles, this run should be the best of Spider-man
    Last edited by HenrikLange; 03-22-2017 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Is the Thor Returns stuff worth reading? Im currently reading Busieks Avengers stuff and enjoying it a lot and was thinking of checking out more of the Heroes Return era material. Especially with that Cap by Waid Omni coming.
    Back when it was released lo many years ago, it was semi-popular and well received. I never read any of it but am mildly curious to see how it holds up today. Jurgens is a good writer and most of his stuff holds up fairly well. So there's that.

Cap by Waid starts off pretty great but sort of fizzles out by the end. I had the Marvel Premiere HCs several years back, read them and enjoyed them and sold them off later. As I recall the final volume was published as a TPB and another writer (maybe Jurgens) came in and cleaned up some of Waid's lingering unfinished plots.

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikLange View Post
    How do you guys collect The Amazing Spider-man by J. Michael Straczynski? I'm looking to get this, but I can't decide on the format. Theres is a 4 book TPB collection named The Amazing Spider-Man Ultimate Collection, which has the The Other crossover in the final book, which is something I am looking to collect as well. Theres is also a hardcover collection named Best of Spider-man, which is 5 books, but doesn't collect The Other as far as I can tell.. But honestly,I would rather just have it in an omnibus, and it seems like it would just FIT... (almost anyway, ��) - But I can't find any Omnibus with this stuff... Am I wrong? Any suggestions for best collection of this?
    Once upon a time I had the Best of Spidey OHCs which collected most of the run then got the Other OHC and Back in Black OHCs. You have to finish it up with the One More Day *shudder* Marvel Premiere HC. I sold those off to make room for other stuff in my library and ended up buy the Complete/Ultimate Collections later on down the line. It looked like Marvel planned on keeping these stories evergreen for a while, and the small TPBs went thru many printings especially the first volumes. But as time has gone on, I find that I don't really like this run much any more and most of it has, thankfully, been retconned away or ignored (the spider-totem magical angle to his powers). Come on, that was just stupid. Even for comics. I can suspend my disbelief that a guy was bitten by a radioactive spider and gained powers, but then to throw magic in on top of that ... ugh. See also: Sins Past and One More Day the two worst canonical Spidey stories of ALL FREAKING TIME.

It's just so strange when you look at some of the other Spider-man stuff that gets omnibi - I mean, according to the hardcover titles, this run should be the best of Spider-man
    JMS Spidey is NOT best of ANYTHING related to Spidey, not even the last 15 odd years. Pick up the Stern Omnibus, or the early Lee/Ditko/Romita stuff. That's the best. Heck even the DeFalco/Frenz and Micheline/McFarlane/Larsen eras are pretty great. For more recent stuff Slott is better IMO.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

THOR BY WALTER SIMONSON OMNIBUS Cover by SIMONSON:
    When is this due out?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    When is this due out?
    Amazon.com has it at October 17, so I suspect officially beginning of October.

Spectacular Member

How do you guys collect The Amazing Spider-man by J. Michael Straczynski? I'm looking to get this, but I can't decide on the format. Theres is a 4 book TPB collection named The Amazing Spider-Man Ultimate Collection, which has the The Other crossover in the final book, which is something I am looking to collect as well. Theres is also a hardcover collection named Best of Spider-man, which is 5 books, but doesn't collect The Other as far as I can tell.. But honestly,I would rather just have it in an omnibus, and it seems like it would just FIT... (almost anyway, ��) - But I can't find any Omnibus with this stuff... Am I wrong? Any suggestions for best collection of this?
    I have collected it in the OHC format. Best of vol 1 to 5, The Other, Civil War OHCs and Back in Black both volumes. Following the PHCs of One more day and the Brand New Day era.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Amazon.com has it at October 17, so I suspect officially beginning of October.
    Cool, thanks
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Back when it was released lo many years ago, it was semi-popular and well received. I never read any of it but am mildly curious to see how it holds up today. Jurgens is a good writer and most of his stuff holds up fairly well. So there's that

Once upon a time I had the Best of Spidey OHCs which collected most of the run then got the Other OHC and Back in Black OHCs. You have to finish it up with the One More Day *shudder* Marvel Premiere HC. I sold those off to make room for other stuff in my library and ended up buy the Complete/Ultimate Collections later on down the line. It looked like Marvel planned on keeping these stories evergreen for a while, and the small TPBs went thru many printings especially the first volumes. But as time has gone on, I find that I don't really like this run much any more and most of it has, thankfully, been retconned away or ignored (the spider-totem magical angle to his powers). Come on, that was just stupid. Even for comics. I can suspend my disbelief that a guy was bitten by a radioactive spider and gained powers, but then to throw magic in on top of that ... ugh. See also: Sins Past and One More Day the two worst canonical Spidey stories of ALL FREAKING TIME.
    I already have the Stern one and I consider getting the Ultimate by Bendis omnis before the price goes the way of Deadpool by Joe Kelly (seems to be right around the corner). While I agree that one more day is simply not worth having, there are great things in the run; but I already have Coming Home, One More Day and Civil War: Spider-man, so perhaps I should just get The Other (which I seem to be in the minority for liking), and then look into an omnibus if it ever happens.
    The main thing keeping me from getting that Ultimate omnis is that I have ceased to believe there will be any sequels (outside of no. 1 and DOSM) , and in that case, I might want to get the whole runs as hardcovers instead.
    I guess it's a good thing I don't need to pull the trigger right away
    Last edited by HenrikLange; 03-22-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Back when it was released lo many years ago, it was semi-popular and well received. I never read any of it but am mildly curious to see how it holds up today. Jurgens is a good writer and most of his stuff holds up fairly well. So there's that.

Cap by Waid starts off pretty great but sort of fizzles out by the end. I had the Marvel Premiere HCs several years back, read them and enjoyed them and sold them off later. As I recall the final volume was published as a TPB and another writer (maybe Jurgens) came in and cleaned up some of Waid's lingering unfinished plots.
    I liked the Thor stuff - in fact I liked that whole volume. BUT, I read it years and years ago, so - as you said - will it hold up? I'm going to get the omnibus (and the Waid one as well).

Once upon a time I had the Best of Spidey OHCs which collected most of the run then got the Other OHC and Back in Black OHCs. You have to finish it up with the One More Day *shudder* Marvel Premiere HC. I sold those off to make room for other stuff in my library and ended up buy the Complete/Ultimate Collections later on down the line. But as time has gone on, I find that I don't really like this run much any more and most of it has, thankfully, been retconned away or ignored (the spider-totem magical angle to his powers). Come on, that was just stupid. Even for comics. I can suspend my disbelief that a guy was bitten by a radioactive spider and gained powers, but then to throw magic in on top of that ... ugh. See also: Sins Past and One More Day the two worst canonical Spidey stories of ALL FREAKING TIME.
    I liked this actually. Maybe it's because I liked Ezekiel (was that his name?) and the thought that there were spider-men before Peter and that he ended up being one of the best. Kind of reminds me of what Alan Moore did with Swamp Thing when he took over the title.

Sins of the Past sucked because of who the children were. One of the dumbest ideas ever and you can thank Quesada for that, although JMS has said he initially wanted it to be Peter's kids, so it would have been equally dumb. That said - if it was just some random kids, it might not have been so bad.

I'll never defend One More Day - another dumb ass idea by Quesada. You want to get rid of the marriage? Fine. Pick a different way.

JMS Spidey is NOT best of ANYTHING related to Spidey, not even the last 15 odd years. Pick up the Stern Omnibus, or the early Lee/Ditko/Romita stuff. That's the best. Heck even the DeFalco/Frenz and Micheline/McFarlane/Larsen eras are pretty great. For more recent stuff Slott is better IMO.
    I personally put JMS down as the third best ASM run - first being Roger Stern, followed by Lee. Yeah, JMS had some bad story lines, but the overall package was pretty good.

The DeFalco and Micheline wasn't bad and there were some really good story lines and ideas but I'd put them after JMS.

To me, Slott has been two different writers. His pre-Superior stuff and his Superior/post-Superior.

Personally, I couldn't get into the pre-Superior stuff but I'd recommended Superior SM and the ASM that followed/ongoing.

The difference between the OHCs and fat trades for JMS Spidey is the inclusion of Spectacular Spidey and Friendly Neighborhood Spidey, about 10+ issues each, in the Civil War Spidey OHC and Back in Black OHC set of two. I bought Best of 1-5, Civil War, Back in Black, The Other for a good $195. Bit of damage to the Best of OHC 1 and Civil War OHC, but with how much the latter goes for, I figured it was worth it. I could sell it off for more if I ever wanted to part with it. I just need a good deal on Back in Black. The JMS Ult Collection 5 is quite pricey, so either choice is gonna be costly. I kinda dislike how its all over the place but maybe we'll get omni's one day.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

See, I just got the first 2 complete collections for 15 bucks, and I'm planning on getting Book of Ezekiel and Back in Black as the individual trades. The rest of the run juts does nothing for me.
    Cyclops was right

There are 5 Ultimate Collections of that run, and as it always seems to go, 1-4 readily available and the 5th being very expensive and hard to find.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    There are 5 Ultimate Collections of that run, and as it always seems to go, 1-4 readily available and the 5th being very expensive and hard to find.
    It's being reprinted in May or June.