Page 752 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2526527027427487497507517527537547557567628028521252 ... LastLast
Results 11,266 to 11,280 of 20773
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    It's time to get my rant on. I just received my copy of the Vision hardcover. I'm sure everybody that has it knows where this is going. It was brought up in another thread that it has a glued binding but wasn't too bad. I agree that for glued it's not bad, not too tight and stays open fairly well with little gutter loss. My real beef now is why that likely is. The absolute worst quality tissue thin paper they used. I've never had a problem with the thinner paper they have been using in the omnis and OHC's that I have, at all, but this is pathetic. If anybody remembers the terrible Premiere Hardcovers they put out a few years back with the Marvel Now books, this is that same paper quality. It's about the same as what is used in single issues. The book is certainly good enough that I recommend getting it anyway as I don't expect there will ever be a better edition, just handle and turn pages with caution. It's just so frustrating and disappointing that this is the build quality this book got.
    Its my only graphic novel in my house with rippled/wavy pages. I thought it would go away given that the house is dry but it has not. It was like that in the shrink wrap.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    Its my only graphic novel in my house with rippled/wavy pages. I thought it would go away given that the house is dry but it has not. It was like that in the shrink wrap.
    It sounds like the saga of the Infinity OHC all over again

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    That's unfortunate to hear. Maybe that's why it's retailed at such a "low" price of $40. Inhumans vs. X-Men OHC is $50 at almost 300 pages less. Civil War II and Secret Wars II OHCs also at $50 at around 200 pages less.

It has almost 500 pages, it could have made for a nice slim Omnibus. A nice sewn Omni at $50 would have been cool. Superior Foes Omni is a 100 pages less and retailed at $50.
    If Marvel priced their books based on the quality of construction, they'd all be $10. Including most omni's published in recent years.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

It sounds like the saga of the Infinity OHC all over again
    Its like they felt forced to do a deluxe type edition for someone who is now at another company so they did the bare minimum.

I finished the Avengers Standoff OHC. What a mess of a story.

It was just kind of .... dumb. And the reading order was all over the place.

And Rick Jones sucks. LOL. Never liked the character.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    If Marvel priced their books based on the quality of construction, they'd all be $10. Including most omni's published in recent years.
    Speaking of this, where's Dr. Gregatron gotten off to? I always enjoyed him in the role of paper curmudgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Speaking of this, where's Dr. Gregatron gotten off to? I always enjoyed him in the role of paper curmudgeon.
    Ha! I was thinking of him too as I typed that...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I finally read Tom King's Vision last night and I guess I'm in the minority but I found it average at best and mostly dull. I get what he was trying to do - a character breakdown/slice of life - but I just couldn't get into the execution. If you want to see this done correctly, check out Jeff Lemire's Royal City.

There were some issues in the run that were enjoyable but they were the kind of stories that are often spread out in between story arcs that are designed to take you back to the character, provide more insight into who they are. Robinson was a master at this during his Starman run in which Jack would talk to his dead brother once a year.

That said, this run was far better than his shit Batman run and I'm glad Marvel let him take a chance and tell this type of story. Again, I didn't enjoy it but I know a lot of people did. It was different than the average Marvel comic (not so different than some independent comics), so it's good of Marvel to break from the mold.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

I got my copy of Vision yesterday as well. Was disappointed at how thin the paper was in this. Think I may just stick with buying Omnibus books.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I passed on Vision due to hearing mixed word of mouth on it after the initial glut of praise by the less biased.
    If I find it cheap, 60-70% off cover I may get it.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I still think The Vision is the best thing Tom King has done to date.

Make of that what you will.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I passed on Vision due to hearing mixed word of mouth on it after the initial glut of praise by the less biased.
    If I find it cheap, 60-70% off cover I may get it.
    I'd recommend going ahead and get it. I'd be surprised if it ever hits any clearance level prices, even with the poor build quality. It's just one of those books that just about everyone should read, unless all they like is typical superhero punch the bad guy books. Worst case you don't like it and you sell it, but it's also one you might absolutely love.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I still think The Vision is the best thing Tom King has done to date.

Make of that what you will.
    Haven't gotten around to the deluxe yet, but I'm inclined to agree. I've read issue one and it's probably one of my favourite single issues. I'm also a big fan of his Batman run, so I'm sure I will enjoy it.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

X-MEN: REVOLUTION BY CHRIS CLAREMONT OMNIBUS Cover by ART ADAMS:

Oh dear, that is hideous. They are really doing their all to get me not to buy this book.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

It’s not hideous at all. DON’T lie.