Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    So all of that X-Factor material is already collected in Epic Vol.'s 7 and 8 (minus #'s 55 and 70). While I'm jazzed to see it get the upgraded treatment, I don't think it makes sense to call this book "Vol. 1" when presumably Vol. 2 - 3 (4?) will be the X-Factor Investigations material. As we all know, the two books were night and day.

Another thought is that they tried doing Complete Collections already, and that line was canceled two books in, so maybe they figured they'd rope in more sales by starting with the classic 90's run...? *shrug*
    I thought about that... just so long as they don’t mix the content together I am fine with it... Vol. 1 can be all of the stuff from the first run... then the next 3 omnibus would be just X-Factor investigations right? I mean they have to do it some way... it is all Peter David X Factor after all... although I do admit that it would be cool to have the one and then switch over and make the other 3 X Factor Investigations 1-3... but that would be kind of awkward as well... as long as we get it all I can live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The Investigations series was at least 113 issues (#1 to 50 then #200 to 262), not including one shots or Point One issues. That's also not including the Madrox mini, or crossover issues, eg She-Hulk. I think delivery people would be getting in touch with unions and legal representatives if Marvel published all that in a single volume
    Oh yeah, forgot that it reverted to the old numbering after #50 (was just thinking of Madrox through #50). Adding the rest, yeah, we'd be looking at 3 or 4 Omnis, just for his second run. Doubt that'll ever happen.

This thread makes me feel inadequate. Like, if you don’t collect omnibuses, you’re beneath some people. I collect the epic collections and complete collections (of the runs I enjoy) and I’m very happy with them. But I hardly ever see epic or complete news in this thread...

Having said that... If I didn’t already own the epics on these issues, I’d probably bite. I also agree with others in that the second X-Factor run deserves to be collected as well.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot that it reverted to the old numbering after #50 (was just thinking of Madrox through #50). Adding the rest, yeah, we'd be looking at 3 or 4 Omnis, just for his second run. Doubt that'll ever happen.
    Yeah, a few years ago someone created custom X-Factor omnis of PAD’s second run by scanning the original issues and printing them out on oversized paper; you see copies of the set pop up on eBay every so often (and sell for exorbitant prices). They did it as four moderate-sized volumes, though I suppose three huge volumes would be possible.

Spectacular Member

Thundershot, don't let anyone make you feel that way!

I'm really scaling down Omnibus buys because (a) running out of space, (b) they are unwieldy, (c) the quality of the paper/bindings is inconsistent and (d) they are not Marvel's premium format. That's the Masterworks line- much easier to read, better paper, binding, and comics are normally released first in this format (at least those that are properly restored). I may have mentioned this before, but the oversized format does not give you much in terms of larger panels- there is barely any noticeable difference with a Masterworks v Omnibus panel in terms of size. Even with Masterworks being the premium format, unless I see a good deal, its something I really like, or if I cannot get elsewhere, then I'm happy with the Epic line.

I don't take the view that an Omnibus is a more premium format than the Epics. Omnibuses are traditionally intended to be cheap, quality over quantity collections. That's normally the only reason I pick them up. Cost wise, if a run has 3 Epics to one Omnibus, it is sometimes the case that you are paying more for the Epic collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    This thread makes me feel inadequate. Like, if you don’t collect omnibuses, you’re beneath some people. I collect the epic collections and complete collections (of the runs I enjoy) and I’m very happy with them. But I hardly ever see epic or complete news in this thread...

Having said that... If I didn’t already own the epics on these issues, I’d probably bite. I also agree with others in that the second X-Factor run deserves to be collected as well.
    I'm personally torn on how to collect my favorite series.

On one hand, I do enjoy oversized artwork, (usually) better paper quality and, above all, hardcovers.

On the other hand, I like that Epics (and other TPB collections) are much easier to handle, as I can lie down reading those. Omnibuses takes me much longer to read (not just talking length here due to higher size counts, but relatively speaking as well), because they require that I sit up straight at our dining table. It's not as enjoyable a reading position for me.

Also, omnis are sometimes really hard to get a hold of, especially during COVID-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    Also, omnis are sometimes really hard to get a hold of, especially during COVID-19.
    Speaking of which, I'm still having trouble locating a copy of War of Realms omni for anything under $160, that will ship to the US.
    You guys got any other leads?

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    Thundershot, don't let anyone make you feel that way!

I'm really scaling down Omnibus buys because (a) running out of space, (b) they are unwieldy, (c) the quality of the paper/bindings is inconsistent and (d) they are not Marvel's premium format. That's the Masterworks line- much easier to read, better paper, binding, and comics are normally released first in this format (at least those that are properly restored). I may have mentioned this before, but the oversized format does not give you much in terms of larger panels- there is barely any noticeable difference with a Masterworks v Omnibus panel in terms of size. Even with Masterworks being the premium format, unless I see a good deal, its something I really like, or if I cannot get elsewhere, then I'm happy with the Epic line.

I don't take the view that an Omnibus is a more premium format than the Epics. Omnibuses are traditionally intended to be cheap, quality over quantity collections. That's normally the only reason I pick them up. Cost wise, if a run has 3 Epics to one Omnibus, it is sometimes the case that you are paying more for the Epic collection.
    I'm personally torn on how to collect my favorite series.

On one hand, I do enjoy oversized artwork, (usually) better paper quality and, above all, hardcovers.

On the other hand, I like that Epics (and other TPB collections) are much easier to handle, as I can lie down reading those. Omnibuses takes me much longer to read (not just talking length here due to higher size counts, but relatively speaking as well), because they require that I sit up straight at our dining table. It's not as enjoyable a reading position for me.

I like the epics because I can lay in bed and read them with no issue. They also do runs you don’t normally see in Omnibuses. I dunno. I just prefer them. I have a few omnibuses but prefer the smaller format overall. I also like the numbering system and look forward to “filing in the gaps” eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm still having trouble locating a copy of War of Realms omni for anything under $160, that will ship to the US.
    You guys got any other leads?
    Here in Europe, it's still readily available. I think it'll be back in stock in the US soon enough, just be patience (even though I know how hard that can be for a book you really crave).

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I like the epics because I can lay in bed and read them with no issue. They also do runs you don’t normally see in Omnibuses. I dunno. I just prefer them. I have a few omnibuses but prefer the smaller format overall. I also like the numbering system and look forward to “filing in the gaps” eventually.
    Yes I too get so much enjoyment from reading in bed before sleeping. Epics (and other TPBs) are perfect for that. Omnis, not so much... currently attempting to read X-Men: Legionquest in bed, but it's so cumbersome.

I wish Epics had better paper quality though, even for the content that wasn't originally printed on high quality paper.

Oh, and also: what I said about omnis being hard to find, especially during COVID-19, is definately true for Epics as well... I'm still waiting eagerly for a chance to get X-Men: Proteus.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm running out of space....oh, and I had a second child. Now that'll take a bite out of your misc entertainment budget.
    Also, this Covid19 thing caused me to lose my part time job that funded extra things.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Here in Europe, it's still readily available. I think it'll be back in stock in the US soon enough, just be patience (even though I know how hard that can be for a book you really crave).

Yes I too get so much enjoyment from reading in bed before sleeping. Epics (and other TPBs) are perfect for that. Omnis, not so much... currently attempting to read X-Men: Legionquest in bed, but it's so cumbersome.

I wish Epics had better paper quality though, even for the content that wasn't originally printed on high quality paper.

Oh, and also: what I said about omnis being hard to find, especially during COVID-19, is definately true for Epics as well... I'm still waiting eagerly for a chance to get X-Men: Proteus.
    https://www.instocktrades.com/produc...ion-tp-proteus

https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/x...roteus-tp.html

https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Epic-Co...2521/ref=nodl_

Thanks but I'm based in Europe, so ordering from those sites will be very cost prohibitive for me.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm running out of space....oh, and I had a second child. Now that'll take a bite out of your misc entertainment budget.
    Also, this Covid19 thing caused me to lose my part time job that funded extra things.
    Congratulations on the second child Craig Sorry to hear about the job loss, hope you find something else.

I totally understand regarding running out of space. I reached that point several times. I keep "creating" more space. But there is s limit.

Incredible Member

Thanks but I'm based in Europe, so ordering from those sites will be very cost prohibitive for me.
    I don't know what the shipping cost is but cheap-comics has it for 33 euros.

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    I don't know what the shipping cost is but cheap-comics has it for 33 euros.
    Thanks, but their shipping is €15 - so I'd have to make quite a large order for that to be economically viable. And since their prices aren't the best, I usually pick Booksetc for my larger orders.