Page 846 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 3467467968368428438448458468478488498508568969461346 ... LastLast
Results 12,676 to 12,690 of 20773
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HuggyBear View Post
    Got an extra 70$ set aside for books today and trying to figure whether I want to get Planet Hulk Omnibus or the 3 Miracleman hardcovers. I had never heard of Miracleman til yesterday and found out that it was an Alan Moore book! Anyway hope both aren't close to going out of print (I've been worried about marvel books going OOP since Avengers Hickman omni 1 . )

So is Miracleman pretty great stuff like most of Alan Moore's work (read Swampy and Killing Joke). Don't even know who the writer for Planet Hulk is, but Hulk in space just sounds amazingly awesome and I do love the omnibus format.

Also how are the Miracleman hardcovers? Do they have thin paper stock and glued binding or sewn binding?
    Planet Hulk

I've read a few scattered issues of Miracleman and just don't get the appeal.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

Sweet thanks, gonna put Planet Hulk in the cart instead. Gonna think over it a bit tonight before I do it haha
    You've mentioned Avengers by Hickman vol 1 being OOP a lot the past couple days, so it seems like you really want it. I'd save that $70 and put it towards biting the bullet and grabbing a Hickman on ebay.

It's not going to be reprinted anytime soon and prices won't go down. It sounds like you want that more than anything, so I'd recommend forgoing other books to make it happen. Just my two cents.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurCurry View Post
    You've mentioned Avengers by Hickman vol 1 being OOP a lot the past couple days, so it seems like you really want it. I'd save that $70 and put it towards biting the bullet and grabbing a Hickman on ebay.

It's not going to be reprinted anytime soon and prices won't go down. It sounds like you want that more than anything, so I'd recommend forgoing other books to make it happen. Just my two cents.
    Going to have to agree here. It is much better to have a smaller collection of what you really want than a lot of just ok, or bought just to buy. Also with Planet Hulk I wouldn't freak about that one too bad as there is also the option of looking for the older OHC that has all the necessary parts to the story and can probably be found for a pretty good price now that the Omni came out.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Got an extra 70$ set aside for books today and trying to figure whether I want to get Planet Hulk Omnibus or the 3 Miracleman hardcovers. I had never heard of Miracleman til yesterday and found out that it was an Alan Moore book! Anyway hope both aren't close to going out of print (I've been worried about marvel books going OOP since Avengers Hickman omni 1 . )

So is Miracleman pretty great stuff like most of Alan Moore's work (read Swampy and Killing Joke). Don't even know who the writer for Planet Hulk is, but Hulk in space just sounds amazingly awesome and I do love the omnibus format.

Also how are the Miracleman hardcovers? Do they have thin paper stock and glued binding or sewn binding?
    Honestly I'm not a fan of either of those but I would recommend PH.
    The format doesn't do any favours to MM but I wasn't really crazy about the story either. PH was a slog for me and it felt kinda random like Pak was just making it up on the fly.
    If you want a good marvel omnibus I would recommend runaways or if you like bleak violent stories punisher max.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    The format doesn't do any favours to MM but I wasn't really crazy about the story either. PH was a slog for me and it felt kinda random like Pak was just making it up on the fly.
    If you want a good marvel omnibus I would recommend runaways or if you like bleak violent stories punisher max.
    I tend to agree with this. I enjoyed Planet Hulk. It's a pretty good read throughout. You might be tempted to get the World War Hulk omni afterwords, but I'd recommend steering clear of it. It's a slog with mostly pointless tie-ins. I expect it will be at $30 clearance prices at some point. If you're a Punisher fan at all, I'd definitely get any or all of the three Ennis omnis (two MAX and the one Marvel Knights) before anything else. I'd highly expect the MAX omnis to go OOP fairly quickly and skyrocket in aftermarket price. All excellent stuff, unless you're just not a Punisher fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurCurry View Post

Yep. A member mentioned on here a while ago that Avengers Hickman Omni Vol. 1 isn't sold out everywhere and I luckily snagged one for $100 on Amazon.co.uk. Not gonna find a better deal than this, so happy to import when I can. Thanks to the member that mentioned Amazon.co.uk as a place to find it. Anyone that wants that omni, you better move fast.

I don't know anything about the quality of the Miracleman hardcovers, but I loved the story. Have you read up on it at all? It's essentially the Captain Marvel family from the Silver Age seen through Moore's superheroes-in-the-real-world lens. It's dark as hell, but if you are a Moore fan, that won't faze you.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kp404 View Post
    Yep. A member mentioned on here a while ago that Avengers Hickman Omni Vol. 1 isn't sold out everywhere and I luckily snagged one for $100 on Amazon.co.uk. Not gonna find a better deal than this, so happy to import when I can. Thanks to the member that mentioned Amazon.co.uk as a place to find it. Anyone that wants that omni, you better move fast.
    That was me. I ordered one from Indigo. More than I usually spend but I hadn’t expected it to sell out so soon so didn’t buy it at an optimal time. Oh well. Still under cover. I did get an extra 10% off as well.

Amazing Member

Hey thanks for the advice and links everyone! I reeeeaaally do want that Hickman Avengers Vol 1 so I'm gonna pick it up next week, gonna see how much shipping is from UK and compare it to ebay prices. Might as well go for it, I love reading these stories and it's been nice to have them collected in giant books, been a lifesaver for someone just getting back into comics after being out of it for so long. The other Omnis I've been looking at recently were Planet Hulk, Teen Titans Geoff Johns (heard some iffy things about it's tight binding though) and those Miraclemen books. Also been eyeing the Age of Apocalypse omni, but it's also one of the few things I own all the floppies for (other being Onslaught) so not completely sure there.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Got both Runaways and Punisher Max already, actually read through the Punisher Max Garth Ennis omni about 2 weeks ago, it was damn good (and damn bloooody)

Extraordinary Member

Claremont's X-Men is a tough read. For some reason, I haven't enjoyed most of the first omnibus and the storylines jump too often. Hoping it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Claremont's X-Men is a tough read. For some reason, I haven't enjoyed most of the first omnibus and the storylines jump too often. Hoping it gets better.
    Volumes 2 and 3 are much better, imo.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    It might just not be your thing. All time runs really sets people up for disappointment when you go in expecting to be blown away at awesomeness.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
    It might just not be your thing. All time runs really sets people up for disappointment when you go in expecting to be blown away at awesomeness.
    It’s true...I re-read the first two Claremont omnibuses in the last few months. Still liked the first one a lot because it finished strong, but liked the second one less because it started strong and just flat out sucked by the end.

That being said, I think the Byrne drawn/plotted issues are the best X-Men ever.

Spectacular Member

As someone pointed out to me today, there is a big difference in the quality of the UK and US versions of the Miracleman HCs. I have Vol 1 of the US edition, and Vol 2 and 3 of the UK one but hadn't ever really bothered looking at the differences until today. The UK one is on thick, Masterworks type paper with sewn binding. The US one is thin and glued binding. The US one is about 176 pages, the same amount of pages are almost twice as thick in the UK edition. So I'd hunt down the UK ones if you're interested and can find them at a decent price.

As for the story, its pretty dark in places. It makes Watchmen look quite innocent in comparison, and is an even more overt form of deconstruction of classic superhero stories. Definitely worth a read, but I get the feeling that Moore was playing it by ear a lot more than something like Watchmen which is a lot more tightly scripted and planned.

Disappointing that Marvel cheaped out on the US Miracleman books - weren't they supposed to collect them into an Omnibus by now?