Page 746 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2466466967367427437447457467477487497507567968461246 ... LastLast
Results 11,176 to 11,190 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    So awhile back someone posted a pic of Avengers Disassembled Thor Captain America Iron Man, which I didn't know was an OHC collection. This was after I had noted that the Oeming Thor run deserved a nice collection.

Soooo, I finally tracked it down for a reasonable price.

Oh man is this book bad.

Now the Thor story is actually readable but nowhere near as good as I remember. I don't recall the artist, but it's like 90s cheese (even though it was in 2004ish).

The Iron Man is barely readable. In fact, the story line is just stupid.

Now, onto the Cap/Falcon issues. First, they're almost impossible to follow. They just kind of jump around from place to place and then all of a sudden Luke Cage appears. He's passed out drunk in his Lazy-Boy, so when Cap and Falcon break into his apartment he immediately attacks them right before telling them that one must "never take a black man's remote."

Damn, I didn't know Luke like TV that much!

OK, I kind of chuckled. It's a little dated. I guess the writer was trying to be funny or something. (Remember "Sweet Christmas"!?)

However, later on, Cap and Scarlet Witch start to strike up a relationship. Now this actually had potential and I believe it was touched on during the Bendis run. I hadn't read this part before.

Sooooo, Wanda spends the night with Cap. The next morning he tells an inquiring-minded Falcon about it. Falcon's first reaction is that because of Wanda's religion and overall weirdness that they might now be considered married. Cap then suggests that they can't be because they didn't have sex.

Falcon's reaction? Here I'll just post the panel. (I'm still shaking my head.)

Attachment 60876
    LMAO - great comments!

I have this OHC and it was purely for the Thor issues. New Avengers was my first time delving into a non-X title. I went back to read Disassembled as the prelude and really enjoyed it but when I got onto the Cap and Iron Man stuff I was shocked how bad it was. I just remember thinking "no wonder they got Disassembled!"

It was a shame because it put me off getting the Brubaker Captain America run as it came out - thank God for Omnis!!!

Incredible Member

So awhile back someone posted a pic of Avengers Disassembled Thor Captain America Iron Man, which I didn't know was an OHC collection. This was after I had noted that the Oeming Thor run deserved a nice collection.

Soooo, I finally tracked it down for a reasonable price.

Oh man is this book bad.

Now the Thor story is actually readable but nowhere near as good as I remember. I don't recall the artist, but it's like 90s cheese (even though it was in 2004ish).

The Iron Man is barely readable. In fact, the story line is just stupid.

Now, onto the Cap/Falcon issues. First, they're almost impossible to follow. They just kind of jump around from place to place and then all of a sudden Luke Cage appears. He's passed out drunk in his Lazy-Boy, so when Cap and Falcon break into his apartment he immediately attacks them right before telling them that one must "never take a black man's remote."

Damn, I didn't know Luke like TV that much!

OK, I kind of chuckled. It's a little dated. I guess the writer was trying to be funny or something. (Remember "Sweet Christmas"!?)

However, later on, Cap and Scarlet Witch start to strike up a relationship. Now this actually had potential and I believe it was touched on during the Bendis run. I hadn't read this part before.

Sooooo, Wanda spends the night with Cap. The next morning he tells an inquiring-minded Falcon about it. Falcon's first reaction is that because of Wanda's religion and overall weirdness that they might now be considered married. Cap then suggests that they can't be because they didn't have sex.

Falcon's reaction? Here I'll just post the panel. (I'm still shaking my head.)

Attachment 60876
    I read it last week and your description is spot-on. Although I had to laugh about the remote stuff and that panel

So my "good deal find" of the week was grabbing a copy of the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1, second printing 2007 edition, for just $50 off eBay. The book itself is in great condition, with only minor shelf wear/scrubbing on the top spine of the DJ. Why is that such a good deal? Well, aside from the fact it had a $100 cover price, the 2007 second printing is the superior version of this book in my opinion.

The second printing features the faux-leather & embossed logo covers from the early days of the Marvel Omnibus production style. Even better, it has the thick MMW style paper pages with a sewn binding. The first printing of the book released in early 2007 had a glued binding, making for a tougher read & some gutter loss. The second printing rectified this by including a sewn binding. Both 1st and 2nd printings of the book use the thick MMW style paper and have the faux-leather wrap & embossed logos.

The later editions of this book (2013 second edition, 1st print & 2016 third edition, 1st print) both have sewn bindings but they use the thinner paper and the printed/cardboard style covers seen on today's Marvel Omnibus books.

In the last decade, at one time or another, I've owned a 2007 1st print ASM v1 Omni but sold it after the book initially went OOP & prices spiked. That was replaced by the 2nd printing which was always my favorite edition. I sold that copy when prices spiked again in 2010-11 as by that time, I had replaced the content with MMW HCs. Later on, I bought one of the other reprints in 2013 with the thinner paper but always kept one eye open for a good deal on a 2nd printing. Glad to have it back in my library.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    LMAO - great comments!

I have this OHC and it was purely for the Thor issues. New Avengers was my first time delving into a non-X title. I went back to read Disassembled as the prelude and really enjoyed it but when I got onto the Cap and Iron Man stuff I was shocked how bad it was. I just remember thinking "no wonder they got Disassembled!"

It was a shame because it put me off getting the Brubaker Captain America run as it came out - thank God for Omnis!!!
    Ha ha yeah, if I was reading Cap and Iron Man at the time I would have sworn off anything else. It was really bad. Oddly enough, the overall Iron Man run is pretty good and includes work by Busiek and Grell.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I read it last week and your description is spot-on. Although I had to laugh about the remote stuff and that panel
    I laughed. I was just surprised.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    So my "good deal find" of the week was grabbing a copy of the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1, second printing 2007 edition, for just $50 off eBay. The book itself is in great condition, with only minor shelf wear/scrubbing on the top spine of the DJ. Why is that such a good deal? Well, aside from the fact it had a $100 cover price, the 2007 second printing is the superior version of this book in my opinion.

The second printing features the faux-leather & embossed logo covers from the early days of the Marvel Omnibus production style. Even better, it has the thick MMW style paper pages with a sewn binding. The first printing of the book released in early 2007 had a glued binding, making for a tougher read & some gutter loss. The second printing rectified this by including a sewn binding. Both 1st and 2nd printings of the book use the thick MMW style paper and have the faux-leather wrap & embossed logos.

The later editions of this book (2013 second edition, 1st print & 2016 third edition, 1st print) both have sewn bindings but they use the thinner paper and the printed/cardboard style covers seen on today's Marvel Omnibus books.

In the last decade, at one time or another, I've owned a 2007 1st print ASM v1 Omni but sold it after the book initially went OOP & prices spiked. That was replaced by the 2nd printing which was always my favorite edition. I sold that copy when prices spiked again in 2010-11 as by that time, I had replaced the content with MMW HCs. Later on, I bought one of the other reprints in 2013 with the thinner paper but always kept one eye open for a good deal on a 2nd printing. Glad to have it back in my library.
    Nice find. I have an ideal copy of that second print. It's a beautiful beast.

Btw, how did everyone do on the white whale front in 2017? I only obtained 2 books but they were well below cover:

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 6 & 7 OHCs.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post

Btw, how did everyone do on the white whale front in 2017? I only obtained 2 books but they were well below cover:

I picked up Batman by Neal Adams omnibus for a little over cover price on eBay. That was my white whale.

Spectacular Member

Captain Britain Omnibus for me - took me ages to find!
    It was my last white whale too for the time being, so only new releases for me in 2018, which is good because my preorder list is huge this year (and that is only up to August!!! )
    Last edited by jm21; 01-19-2018 at 01:14 PM.

I only obtained 2 books but they were well below cover:

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I picked up Batman by Neal Adams omnibus for a little over cover price on eBay. That was my white whale.
    I wasn't aware that any of these had become whales.

Lol, I only need volume 11

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Btw, how did everyone do on the white whale front in 2017?
    I was finally able to get BPRD OHC V1-4 all as a set, so I'm more than happy with that purchase.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It was my last white whale too for the time being, so only new releases for me in 2018, which is good because my preorder list is huge this year (and that is only up to August!!! )
    I almost bought two of these when they came out because I loved the variant cover too. I decided in the end to just get one.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I wasn't aware that any of these had become whales.
    Yeah, that Neal Adams Batman Omnibus went OOP relatively quickly for a DC Omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Lol, I only need volume 11
    Volumes 4 and 5 will be in my first haul of 2018 which will complete the set with the 2 Omnibuses as bookends

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I almost bought two of these when they came out because I loved the variant cover too. I decided in the end to just get one.
    One of my favourite Omnibuses. I have the direct edition but would prefer the Variant as I'm a fan of the original costume.

Spectacular Member

Yeah, that Neal Adams Batman Omnibus went OOP relatively quickly for a DC Omnibus.

Volumes 4 and 5 will be in my first haul of 2018 which will complete the set with the 2 Omnibuses as bookends

One of my favourite Omnibuses. I have the direct edition but would prefer the Variant as I'm a fan of the original costume.
    I managed to get the variant

Incredible Member

After ultimatum, what is the reading order for the ultimate and ultimate Avengers?

Astonishing Member

I started recently to collect Omnibuses but there are already two white whale that i want to find out at a reasonable price in 2018.
    The David Michelinie&Tod McFarlane Spider-Man Omnibus and Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus.