Page 661 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1615616116516576586596606616626636646656717117611161 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,915 of 20773

So I see that CGN has the Hickman Avengers omni at $99.99. is that sucker almost OOP already?

Or are they just price gouging? TalesofWonder doesn't show it on their site anymore, neither does IST (same company, I know...)

Just a heads up for those who haven't got it yet and were on the fence. if this goes like Hickman's F4 vol 1, it's going to go for CRAZY prices before long.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Exactly.

I can't help but feel all of these extra series (Moon Knight, Black Panther, Iron Fist, etc) are taking away from slots that could have gone to Fantastic Four, Avengers, Iron Man... thereby completing those series faster.
    To each their own, but I feel the complete opposite. I'd rather see series like Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Black Panther, etc that haven't been collected (at least in color) before, rather than seeing yet another FF, Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man collection, especially ones that focus... again... on Stan Lee's runs. I'm admittedly just happy they're using the epic format to FINALLY finish the PAD Hulk run, instead of having to debate whether to start recollecting in the new format and hoping they won't cancel the series before getting to the stuff they didn't collect the first time (*COUGH* Distinguished Competition *COUGH*).

That said, I'd prefer they scale back on the Star Wars collections pretty soon (I mean... wow, they've gotta be running low on SW stories they can collect at this point, right?); hopefully that would allow for them to complete some of these runs of both the foundation as well as the less iconic series more quickly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GhostPirate View Post
    To each their own, but I feel the complete opposite. I'd rather see series like Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Black Panther, etc that haven't been collected (at least in color) before, rather than seeing yet another FF, Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man collection, especially ones that focus... again... on Stan Lee's runs. I'm admittedly just happy they're using the epic format to FINALLY finish the PAD Hulk run, instead of having to debate whether to start recollecting in the new format and hoping they won't cancel the series before getting to the stuff they didn't collect the first time (*COUGH* Distinguished Competition *COUGH*).

That said, I'd prefer they scale back on the Star Wars collections pretty soon (I mean... wow, they've gotta be running low on SW stories they can collect at this point, right?); hopefully that would allow for them to complete some of these runs of both the foundation as well as the less iconic series more quickly.
    I agree on not wanting to see Epic collections of Silver Age material. Almost all of those have been released in Omnibus, Masterwork, Essential, and other formats. Releasing the material again in a new format is annoying when there are large stretches of the titles that have never been collected.

What series would everyone like to see added to the Epic line? I would love to have Marvel Team Up added. I could also see having Web of Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man added.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    So I see that CGN has the Hickman Avengers omni at $99.99. is that sucker almost OOP already?

Or are they just price gouging? TalesofWonder doesn't show it on their site anymore, neither does IST (same company, I know...)

Just a heads up for those who haven't got it yet and were on the fence. if this goes like Hickman's F4 vol 1, it's going to go for CRAZY prices before long.
    IST told me two days ago that they will receive more copies in the next few weeks.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post

Crap. I had to return mine to IST as damaged from production errors. Due to life it took me almost a week to mail it back to them. Hope I am not S.O.L. I have the OHCs at least but at the end of the day I decided I would prefer the omnis to match the rest of the Hickman books.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by QComix View Post
    IST told me two days ago that they will receive more copies in the next few weeks.
    Guess it pays to read to the end of new posts before jumping in!!
    Last edited by Brewman; 07-22-2017 at 08:13 AM.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I agree on not wanting to see Epic collections of Silver Age material. Almost all of those have been released in Omnibus, Masterwork, Essential, and other formats. Releasing the material again in a new format is annoying when there are large stretches of the titles that have never been collected.

What series would everyone like to see added to the Epic line? I would love to have Marvel Team Up added. I could also see having Web of Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man added.
    Marvel Team-Up and Two-in-One would top my list. I'd also love to see the rest of the original Defenders run collected. What If...? especially focusing on the 2nd series, Web and PPtSS for sure, and while I mentioned not being especially thrilled by the re-re-re-re-collecting of the Lee runs, I'd like to see some of the less often (or still not) collected periods on some of those series: Mantlo and Stern on Spectacular, Stern on the Avengers and Amazing, the later Gruenwald/ Hama/ Harris era Avengers, and DeFalco and Frenz's time on Thor, to name a few.

Spectacular Member

I'd honestly be down to see just about anything in Epic format. It would be awesome if in 15 or 20 years we could have the majority of pre-moder Marvel collected in a unified format.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GhostPirate View Post
    Marvel Team-Up and Two-in-One would top my list. I'd also love to see the rest of the original Defenders run collected. What If...? especially focusing on the 2nd series, Web and PPtSS for sure, and while I mentioned not being especially thrilled by the re-re-re-re-collecting of the Lee runs, I'd like to see some of the less often (or still not) collected periods on some of those series: Mantlo and Stern on Spectacular, Stern on the Avengers and Amazing, the later Gruenwald/ Hama/ Harris era Avengers, and DeFalco and Frenz's time on Thor, to name a few.
    And Epic collection of the Octopus/Owl War from Spectacular would be a great start.

I know the Stern run on Avengers and Amazing has been collected. They may be out of print now. The first Epic for the Harras Avengers has been solicited, as has the second Epic for Defalco/Frenz Thor.

Incredible Member

Who else is rereading the Hickman Avengers run in Omnibus style? What do you think?

I find myself constantly going back and forth between staring in awe at the grandoise, poetic nature of the pages in front of me and the feeling of trudging through mud in an endless, sticky swamp.
    At times it feels too dense and I can understand why people refer to it as "cold",, but then there is the epic scale of it all, beyond what you typically feel in a Marvel comic.

In trying to navigate my feelings on it, I am reminded of Jim Gordon's line to Commissionsr Yale in Frank Miller's Dark knight Returns, in which he explains that Batman is 'too big/epic in scope to judge or to adequately deem either noble or misguided', as if it's all beyond him. (paraphrasing here). And as I currently find myself within the pages of the "Infinity" event, I find it difficult to remember how this even relates to Secret Wars, if at all.

Very mixed feelings, but I'm certainly loving it overall.
    What do you all think of it so far?

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Who else is rereading the Hickman Avengers run in Omnibus style? What do you think?

I find myself constantly going back and forth between staring in awe at the grandoise, poetic nature of the pages in front of me and the feeling of trudging through mud in an endless, sticky swamp.
    At times it feels too dense and I can understand why people refer to it as "cold",, but then there is the epic scale of it all, beyond what you typically feel in a Marvel comic.

In trying to navigate my feelings on it, I am reminded of Jim Gordon's line to Commissionsr Yale in Frank Miller's Dark knight Returns, in which he explains that Batman is 'too big/epic in scope to judge or to adequately deem either noble or misguided', as if it's all beyond him. (paraphrasing here). And as I currently find myself within the pages of the "Infinity" event, I find it difficult to remember how this even relates to Secret Wars, if at all.

Very mixed feelings, but I'm certainly loving it overall.
    What do you all think of it so far?
    I feel the exact same way.

I'm absolutly loving some of the character work, which was suprising seeing how much some people were complaining about it. His Namor, Panther, and Reed Richards are fantastic, and his Thor and Widow have been oddly great considering how little screentime theyve gotten so far (Im halfway through). And I absoulutly love Smasher.

He's not great with some of the group, like Hawkeye or Captain Marvel, but over all he's doing well with such a large cast.
    Cyclops was right

Is there a schedule of upcoming Epic titles? It seems so random on what is being released and which time periods.

When it comes to omnibuses going OOP, one rule that has served me well is: contemporary run + critical acclaim/popularity + previously uncollected oversized = quick path to OOP.

Uncanny X-Force, Hickman FF, and Bru Captain America and Daredevil were good examples of this. Hickman Avengers doesn't check the third box so won't go oop quite as quickly but it's still a pretty safe bet.

I'm probably gonna get the Hickman omnibus in the next few months

I missed out on the Busiek and Perez omnibus because I waited too long. Funny enough more Avengers Omni's are OOP than in print
    We need better comics

Every time I read a comment about Hickman's characters being 'too cold', or 'sterile' if you would, I remind myself of his take on Reed Richards. Personally, I never liked Mr. Fantastic and after his portrayal in the years leading to and immediately after Civil War, I was sure no story would change my mind (he and Tony Stark were the biggest casualties after Civil War given several writer's portrayals). Enter Hickman's run in FF. Not only did I understand why Mr. Fantastic was great, he made me root for the character (to the point that I started reading New Avengers because it featured the character and was pleased to see him remain at the center of Secret Wars).

With Avengers, I think one has to keep in mind that he was managing quite the roster for Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and his portrayal of characters like Thor, Hyperion, Smasher and the Illuminati made them feel 'real', at least to me. I enjoyed Bendis' tenure in the Avengers, but when it was coming out everyone seemed to complain about every single character making funny banter all the time and threats being too 'street-level'. Hickman dialed that down and gave us a slow-burn multiversal story. So maybe the sudden transition from one writing style to the other made it feel like characterization was made aside, when it was just dialed down in order to introduce some heavy concepts. Or at least that's my impression.

Spectacular Member iPodwithnomusic's Avatar

I've just purchased my first omnibus, and got The Trial of Captain America and Return of the Winter Soldier omnis. Now I'm in the difficult position of not knowing whether to buy the preceding TPB collections or waiting for the previous omnis to get a reprint. I'm also in a similar spot with Daredevil, having just purchased the two Ed Brubaker omnibus, but I'm missing the Bendis ones. Is there a decent chance any of those will get a reprint in the next couple years, or is buying the ultimate collections my only chance at getting all those issues?