Page 738 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2386386887287347357367377387397407417427487888381238 ... LastLast
Results 11,056 to 11,070 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Well back years ago (2006) Marvel reprinted their entire 24 issue series from the 1970s as Essential Godzilla in B&W. Not sure it's been reprinted other than that? God I love how Marvel used to do comics ... license a character, then throw them right in the middle of the freaking MU. This series had all sorts of appearances by SHIELD, the Avengers, FF, etc.
    Haha. I completely forgot about this. In fact it's how I read the whole series. I had picked a few up a few issues here and there over the years but never the whole thing.

Regarding ROM, I've never read any of that material before. I knew of the series as a kid, and had an issue here or there from multi-packs but never read any of it. My understanding from some of the online articles I've read over the years was that the original comic series is so deeply embedded into the 616 MU that it would be virtually impossible for the series to be reprinted anywhere or in any form except by Marvel. I mean for gosh sakes, Rick Jones was ROM's main supporting character for a while, and ROM & cast interacted with the entire MU basically. Marvel owns the Dire Wraiths, the human version of ROM (he showed up at Rick & Marlo's wedding in Hulk) and the Space Knights (which is why every so many years we see Marvel publish some kind of Space Knight series ... Venom: Space Knight being the last, and most absurd IMO). They're trying to retain ownership of that IP or copyright.

The problem is Parker Brothers originally, and today Hasbro, own the ROM armored character. Seems like Marvel is chummy with IDW nowadays (they partnered on the Transformer reprints by letting Spidey's appearance be reprinted), and they work together on other prestige bookshelf format books like artist editions, HC newspaper reprints, etc. So I guess there's always a chance those classic issues will once again see the light of day. Especially today with the older 70s licensed characters coming back into print (MOKFU, Doc Savage in the forthcoming MTU MMW, and Conan in the recent 2018 Marvel calendar, etc). The only wrench to that hope for reprints, is that apparently Hasbro wants to create an integrated cinematic movie universe starring their characters like Transformers, GI Joe, Micronauts, and ROM. So....anybody's guess is as good as mine.
    Yes...all of this is correct. I initially thought about going into the IDA background but didn't have time. I'm glad you did. I ready only a handful of Rom comics and while I enjoyed them at the time, I suspect they're like a lot of stuff that I enjoyed once upon a time - I probably wouldn't like it now. That said, I'd probably pick up a first volume omnibus if they ever did collect it.

By the way, I heard that when they reprinted some of the pre-300 Hulk (I think it was issue # 296 that Rom was in), they blacked out the character due to the copyright. I've never actually seen it though but it would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    By the way, I heard that when they reprinted some of the pre-300 Hulk (I think it was issue # 296 that Rom was in), they blacked out the character due to the copyright. I've never actually seen it though but it would make sense.
    Yeah, it's in the Incredible Hulk proto-Epic TPB "Regression". Ish #296 is partially reprinted. Pages without ROM are included, then others are recapped. As I recall he is referenced to as a generic space robot or something like that in recap pages. To be honest I don't remember him being blacked out but it's been a long time since I read that TPB. For sure they don't mention him by name.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    Whenever the question comes up: what X series were noteworthy during the last years, Bunn's Magneto solo series is the first title I mention. From previous discussions here I know that I am not alone in saying: the Magneto series was hands down the best solo and possible overall X title of this era. I do not want to spoil the reading experience but it had some really intense moments and to me it was a great portray of the character.

The following UXM series is not as strong as the solo title in my memory. But still it is in my opinion by far the best X team book that was available at that point. I liked the Betsy - Erik relationship and the second arc (Apocalypse Wars) seems to be stellar in comparison with the other titles (you do not have to be an X book expert to guess who is heavily featured in this arc).

I also feel that Civil War X-Men is together with Death of X and IvsX part of this trilogy. I am not sure if there is an overall consensus about this era but if I had to I would say these events had its moments but were not really viewed as a good time for the X books (the compleX conspiracy theory comes to mind plus what they did to Jamey in Death of X (to me) is unforgiveable).

That being said on the plus side you have still a strong Magneto. The I vs X event has one Magneo moment or better one panel that I talk about even to people who do not read comics at all and ask me why the X-Men are so important to me (now I should remember how to do these spoiler thing but well another time). The UXM tie ins to the event were still a good read (Sabretooth - Monet relation).

I hope this helps and one last thing: I just read the second X-Men Blue trade. As many X fans I am not happy about the O5 (or whatever "really" is the deal now) still playing a big part in the X books (or to be clear not happy at all with the whole O5 era) but the Tie Ins to Secret Empire were okish because some plot points from the Magneto and UXM run are further developed. I am not sure if I would recommend these because the last two issues in this trade were for lack of better words very odd. As if we do not have enough X characters from other universes nowadays ...
    Great - thanks for this!
    I really hope we get all this in oversized format eventually!

Yeah, it's in the Incredible Hulk proto-Epic TPB "Regression". Ish #296 is partially reprinted. Pages without ROM are included, then others are recapped. As I recall he is referenced to as a generic space robot or something like that in recap pages. To be honest I don't remember him being blacked out but it's been a long time since I read that TPB. For sure they don't mention him by name.
    You're probably right. I only heard about it and never actually saw the reprint. I used to have all the floppies...Wish they'd put all that in an omnibus - starting with when he gets his intelligence - early 270s??? - and then to # 300. I love the box in the top left corner of Hulk in the lab coat and then slowly losing it as each issue sneaked up on # 300.

Well back years ago (2006) Marvel reprinted their entire 24 issue series from the 1970s as Essential Godzilla in B&W. Not sure it's been reprinted other than that? God I love how Marvel used to do comics ... license a character, then throw them right in the middle of the freaking MU. This series had all sorts of appearances by SHIELD, the Avengers, FF, etc.
    Yeah, from what I remember, the Godzilla book was essentially a SHIELD book that happened to have Godzilla in it. ;-)
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Dazed and Confused

As an interesting followup note, the whole issue of Incredible Hulk #296 is now available through Marvel's online app and MCU, so they must have worked out something with IDW, at least for that issue.
    Last edited by WayneLW; 01-05-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WayneLW View Post
    As an interesting followup note, the whole issue of Incredible Hulk #296 is now available through Marvel's online app and MCU, so they must have worked out something with IDW, at least for that issue.
    Or it might have slipped through the cracks and no one noticed. That's happened a few times before. Essential Spider-Man reprinted an issue of Giant Size Spider-Man that guest starred Shang-Chi and Fu Manchu years before the rights were obtained to reprint the MoKF series.

Probably the wrong place to post this, but... looking to get a new bookshelf/expand my shelves. I know everyone goes on about Ikea shelving, is it the BILLY that everyone likes? or something else? I recall something that started with a 'K'...
    Mostly for TPBs, not many large omnis anymore, so I'm thnking the billy would be fine for me, but would like opinions/thoughts. Thanks, everyone. Feel free to PM me instead if you don't want to clutter here.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Probably the wrong place to post this, but... looking to get a new bookshelf/expand my shelves. I know everyone goes on about Ikea shelving, is it the BILLY that everyone likes? or something else? I recall something that started with a 'K'...
    Mostly for TPBs, not many large omnis anymore, so I'm thnking the billy would be fine for me, but would like opinions/thoughts. Thanks, everyone. Feel free to PM me instead if you don't want to clutter here.
    Kallax is what you're thinking of. Can't remember if this was the old or the new name, there was a rebranding at some point. The problem I found with Billys was that the shelves sagged pretty drastically when full.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Get half-width Billys. Those don't sag at all.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Or it might have slipped through the cracks and no one noticed. That's happened a few times before. Essential Spider-Man reprinted an issue of Giant Size Spider-Man that guest starred Shang-Chi and Fu Manchu years before the rights were obtained to reprint the MoKF series.
    I thought I'd use this as a segue to note that I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Marvel will be releasing Master of Kung Fu digitally in conjunction with the Epic Collection volume 1 release coming in March. Because of what was rumored to be a limited release window for their collected reprinting of this series, I was afraid no digital reprinting would take place. Not so, it seems, as volume 1 is up for preorder on ComiXology.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Get half-width Billys. Those don't sag at all.

Agree. KALLAX are sturdier, but with less flexibility.
    On the BILLY you can adjust the shelves and they are taller.
    More storage per inch 😃👍

I have 12 halfwidth BILLYs

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Kallax IMO are only worthwhile if you plan on using it as a room divider thus using both sides. It is deep enough to stack two OHCs deep.

If it's going against a wall then that's just wasted space, so you'd be better going for a set of the narrow Billys. You get more shelves for the same height and once you screw them together, they're just as sturdy as any Kallax.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Kallax IMO are only worthwhile if you plan on using it as a room divider thus using both sides. It is deep enough to stack two OHCs deep.

If it's going against a wall then that's just wasted space, so you'd be better going for a set of the narrow Billys. You get more shelves for the same height and once you screw them together, they're just as sturdy as any Kallax.
    This. That's exactly how I set up my comics room.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
    Any thoughts on Cullen Bunn's Magneto / Uncanny X-Men run?
    I've heard some good things and been hoping for some OHCs, but ANAD Marvel seems painfully short on X-OHCs.

Maybe worth a couple of Bunn Omnibus?:
    Magneto by Bunn Omnibus (#1-21 + Secret Wars: House of M #1-4)
    Uncanny X-Men by Bunn Omnibus (#1-19+Annual + Civil War II: X-Men #1-4)
    I thought the series started out awesome for maybe the first 10-12 issues, but then there was some event interference (maybe Axis?) then I lost all interest in what was built previously. It absolutely had potential though at first.