Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Yesterday's announcements were for:

Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer Volume 1- Contains Amazing Spider-Man (2018) #1-43, 16.HU, 18.HU - 20.HU; Amazing Spider-Man: Full Circle, material from Free Comic Book Day 2018

and

Spider-Man 2099 Volume 1 - Contains Spider-Man 2099 (1992) #1-46, Annual #1, Ravage 2099 #15, X-Men 2099 #5, Doom 2099 #14, Punisher 2099 #13, Spider-Man 2099 Meets Spider-Man, and Spider-Man 2099 Special
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ87 View Post
    It feels weird as a Spidey fan but I'm going to pass on both of these. I enjoyed the Spencer run well enough but I'm fine with my paperbacks. I'm in fact trying to downgrade my Absolute Carnage omnibus to paperback lol. And 2099 just isn't my particular cup of tea.
    I think I might pass on the Spidey 2099 one also. I haven't read this initial run and I've heard good things about it. However, I did read the recent Peter David run which I wasn't too overawed with and that will probably end up as Vol. 2, right? I just wouldn't want a Vol. 1 on its own plus there are a ton of new Spidey Omnibuses which I will probably end up preordering. I really do need to be more selective as there is way too much of everything right now, which is a good thing, but not for my wallet. Saying that, I'll probably also end up getting the Nick Spencer Omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    You coming back to us, Omnibus? If you do, bring merrick with you.
    Hi Doolittle,

Even though I am out of the omnibus game, I still pop in here from time to time to see the new ones announced along with Epic collections. Nice to see a whole bunch of reprints of omnibuses over the past few years for everyone.

Merrick was gone before I left the scene and has not been seen since eh?

How about Krisis, is he still around? Last I remember his first child was on the way.

The long timers here must be happy as a lot of what was wished for back during my days on here has been fulfilled by Marvel. What is one or two titles that are still on the elusive list?

Mighty Member

I'm not particularly familiar with Moon Knight - there are a bunch of collections coming out in the next 2-3 months, are any or all of them worth getting? I'm looking for something to get the gist of the character as well as just some good reading (no omnis - I don't know the character well enough to invest in big books)

Moon Knight: Legacy (Bemis)
    Moon Knight by Lemire and Smallwood
    Moon Knight by Bendis and Maleev
    Epic Collection v1-3
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Thanks ARkadelphia,

Didn’t Marvel regain the rights just a few years ago? Why such a short stint?

Makes complete sense then putting everything out as fast as possible from omnibuses to epic collections to TPB’s.
    I don’t know how long the rights are actually. I was speculating more than anything.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Incredible Member

Spider-Man 2099 was my most wanted omnibus. Such a fun run. My Favorite Spider-Man series, next to Ultimate Spider-Man.

Hi Doolittle,

Even though I am out of the omnibus game, I still pop in here from time to time to see the new ones announced along with Epic collections. Nice to see a whole bunch of reprints of omnibuses over the past few years for everyone.

Merrick was gone before I left the scene and has not been seen since eh?

How about Krisis, is he still around? Last I remember his first child was on the way.

The long timers here must be happy as a lot of what was wished for back during my days on here has been fulfilled by Marvel. What is one or two titles that are still on the elusive list?
    Yes, a lot of the books that I was looking forward to getting since the beginning of the Omnibus line have been printed, and sometimes reprinted. I really do not buy very many Omnibuses anymore. The last Omnibus that I purchased was Amazing Spider-man Volume 5, and before that was Uncanny X-men Volume 4.

I was really looking forward to buying the Hickman run on X-men, but it really didn't turn out the way that I had hoped. Hickman left the line and the other writers that contributed continued on with the story. The issues that I read of X-men that Hickman wrote were good, but it felt like one had to read all of the ancillary titles to really get the feel of the story. At least that's the way it felt to me. I did read some of the tpbs - the ones that I could find at the library, but the whole thing didn't feel very connected to me. I didn't even order the X-men by Hickman Omnibus or the other OSHCs that he wrote.

Other than that, I haven't really seen a new Omnibus solicited that I was really excited for besides the continuation of lines that have already been started. I do plan on ordering the Amazing Spider-man by Spencer Omnibus, which is exciting to me since we haven't gotten any of his run in OSHC yet.

Coming to the end of my first ever omnibus, Spider Gwen and I've really enjoyed it. Both the reading experience and the story. Need to decide what to move onto next from my massive unread pile. I'm thinking Amazing Spider-Man Beyond Vol.1 as it's relatively short in comparison to everything else.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Happenstance View Post
    Coming to the end of my first ever omnibus, Spider Gwen and I've really enjoyed it. Both the reading experience and the story. Need to decide what to move onto next from my massive unread pile. I'm thinking Amazing Spider-Man Beyond Vol.1 as it's relatively short in comparison to everything else.
    I just finished that myself. It's fun enough and it's got a decent amount of content
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I'm not particularly familiar with Moon Knight - there are a bunch of collections coming out in the next 2-3 months, are any or all of them worth getting? I'm looking for something to get the gist of the character as well as just some good reading (no omnis - I don't know the character well enough to invest in big books)

Moon Knight: Legacy (Bemis)
    Moon Knight by Lemire and Smallwood
    Moon Knight by Bendis and Maleev
    Epic Collection v1-3
    The first 3 EPICS are the core of the character, in print. Based on the show previews though they are going to draw harder on the Bemis and Lemire/Smallwood material.
    I would not waste time on the Bendis run.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    If they produce Omnibuses for Dr Aphra, Darth Vader and the main Star Wars series, that would only leave Bounty Hunters right? The way they've been churning out the SW Omnibuses, I would think we would eventually see everything Omnibused, even Bounty Hunters, no?
    I have to say that star wars omnibuses are really delayed compared to the current runs. The main series only got the first writer collected. We're missing the whole kieron gillen and greg Pak issues (around 38) that finished two years ago. The new run started on 2020 and already has 20 issues
    There are also a lot of miniseries that will probably never be collected in oversized format. In the beginning i had the impression everything would be collected, but now I'm not so sure. Let's hope marvel decides to collect gillen's and Pak's run, at least to complete the 2015 series

Fantastic Member

An omnibus question I have is how frequently are some of them reissued? I’m going to rebuild my PAD Hulk run through Omnibus but I’m not paying double or Ebay pricing. I’m getting the reissued FF by Byrne, but I ought to wait for the second half of the run to be reissued no?? Namor by Byrne is another one…

Incredible Member

Thanks ARkadelphia,

Didn’t Marvel regain the rights just a few years ago? Why such a short stint?

Makes complete sense then putting everything out as fast as possible from omnibuses to epic collections to TPB’s.
    As ARk said, it’s just speculation; none of us actually know how long the licensing deal is for. (As you noted, it would be a pretty short stint; though it’s possible Marvel is also looking ahead at how long it’s going to take to reprint all of Savage Sword.) It’s equally as possible they’re just trying to strike while the iron is hot, knowing fan excitement doesn’t last forever and the people who read Conan originally in its heyday are, well, playing on the back end of the course, let’s say. (And not to sound ghoulish, but the writers they may want to do introductions are not getting any younger either.)

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guthwulf View Post
    I have to say that star wars omnibuses are really delayed compared to the current runs. The main series only got the first writer collected. We're missing the whole kieron gillen and greg Pak issues (around 38) that finished two years ago. The new run started on 2020 and already has 20 issues
    There are also a lot of miniseries that will probably never be collected in oversized format. In the beginning i had the impression everything would be collected, but now I'm not so sure. Let's hope marvel decides to collect gillen's and Pak's run, at least to complete the 2015 series
    You're right regarding a lack of Omnibuses regarding the current runs. However, I still think they will come. They really have been churning out a lot of SW Omnibuses overall. If my count is correct, there are at least 10 Omnibuses released/solicited regarding "old" SW runs of which three or so are Vol. 1's with further volumes to come. Of the current runs, we have 4 Omnibuses of which two are getting reprints. I think it's only a matter of time before they put everything out. I would prefer them to hold their horses as I'm really feeling the emptying of my wallet especially with regards to upcoming Spidey and SW Omnibuses. I'm just glad I don't collect Conan, Alien or any of the current/upcoming X-Men Omnibuses.

Just got the new Excalibur vol. 2 Omni, as Alan Davis' run on that book is probably one of my favorite superhero runs of all time. To have it all collected in an over-sized format with good paper is a real treat.

Though back when these comics first came out, I only bought the Davis issues, and skipped the issues that had art by others.
    Now that all the issues are collected together, I know why I did that! The art on the non-Davis issues is absolutely dreadful. I'm talking some of the worst comic book art I've ever seen. Made even worse by being juxtaposed next to the Davis issues, which is probably some of the best superhero art ever produced. The book's still a must-get, but they could've lopped off all the issues before #42, and it would've improved the omnibus.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    You're right regarding a lack of Omnibuses regarding the current runs. However, I still think they will come. They really have been churning out a lot of SW Omnibuses overall. If my count is correct, there are at least 10 Omnibuses released/solicited regarding "old" SW runs of which three or so are Vol. 1's with further volumes to come. Of the current runs, we have 4 Omnibuses of which two are getting reprints. I think it's only a matter of time before they put everything out. I would prefer them to hold their horses as I'm really feeling the emptying of my wallet especially with regards to upcoming Spidey and SW Omnibuses. I'm just glad I don't collect Conan, Alien or any of the current/upcoming X-Men Omnibuses.
    You're right about the reprints. Usually they mean marvel is checking the market and trying to continue the runs. I hope we can get at least the main runs in omnibus format
    In my case in not collecting star wars legend, only OHC and omnibus (not double dipping) of modern runs