Page 249 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1491992392452462472482492502512522532592993497491249 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,735 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    They are apparently making multiple volumes of the Masters of Kung fu thing. Selling well obviously isn't a concern.
    AND ... multiple volumes of Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu Omnibus which reprints a mag from the 70s. Obviously. Because Kung-Fu mania is upon us today, right? Right?

(crickets)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I'm missing the last one and it is a pain to get at a decent price.
    Yeah. Finally bought mine used off amazon a while back. The story's not that great, but didn't like having a gap on the shelf in my Hulk collection.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I don't if MOKF was a good series or not, but it does have the distinction of never having been collected before.
    And apparently according to the Marvel folks that post over on the MMW MB, it's a one time deal so get 'em while they're available! (of course they would say that regardless). Truthfully though, I can't see them doing much else with this old material. Every once in a while they'll trot out MOKF just to keep the character/title around (like as with Shag Chi's mini-series during Spider-Island) but there doesn't seem to be much demand other than the titillation factor of these books not being seen for 40 years...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    AND ... multiple volumes of Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu Omnibus which reprints a mag from the 70s. Obviously. Because Kung-Fu mania is upon us today, right? Right?

(crickets)
    Why hate on them for releasing MOKF? I've never read them, but I've heard good things, so I have the first 2 pre-ordered. I'll probably skip DHOKF though, I'm not interested in a B&W magazine style book. If I buy it, I'm keeping it sealed until I know for sure that I enjoy the MOKF stuff.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

(crickets)
    It's been one of the top-voted Omni picks for years on the MMW board. If Marvel finds themselves suddenly in possession of the reprint rights they should pull the trigger.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    MoKF has a fanbase, and rights issues kept it from ever being collected. Who is a fan of the clone saga?
    Although I utterly despise the clone saga, I'm gonna disagree with you here. I don't think there's a major fan base for MOFK. I think there's a car crash-like fascination about the series because it hasn't been collected in decades and - for some (just like the clone saga) - there is nostalgia.

Now, there will ALWAYS be a fan base for Spider-Man, so the risk isn't as high.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    It's been one of the top-voted Omni picks for years on the MMW board. If Marvel finds themselves suddenly in possession of the reprint rights they should pull the trigger.

I don't disagree and I'm glad Marvel prints these "oddball" titles (Dracula, Man-Thing, Howard, New Warriors for example), but unless there's some sort of requirement (i.e Marvel gets the rights for a year or two), then I'm not sure why they're going to take a chance and collect all four volumes. I just don't see these things breaking open the market.

I argued this on the DC board in regards to Absolute editions. If they're not required to print all four volumes, then maybe they shouldn't. It takes away from something else that can be collected. Why "burn" a place in line for the next omnibus with a volume 4 of a title that's probably not going to be selling by three.

Maybe I'm wrong. I doubt it though. I think these books will join the clone saga in the bargain bin. The only difference is that Marvel appears to have committed to four volumes of kung fu whereas it will probably pull the plug by v. 2 on clone saga.

Wasn't the arrangement for the rights to Fu Manchu that they would reprint all of it in one format? I remember there being something like that when they made the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    MoKF has a fanbase, and rights issues kept it from ever being collected. Who is a fan of the clone saga?
    Spiderman has a fan base. Bigger than MOKF too.

Hey everyone. I just wanted to share the below post from David Michelinie from 2/24/16. I actually bought the first two volumes of the new Marvel classic Star Wars Omnibuses and will probably wind up with the third at some point. Really i only wanted VOl 1, but then the price for VOl 2 dropped way low on amazon a while back. I got Tom Palmer and Walt Simonson to sign VOl 1 last year and they were both really impressed with the size and quality of the book. Anyway, here is the post. (Ok, so i tried to snip the post and paste it here, but instead i just copied the quote. This comes from David's facebook page.) Oh i just remembered that I got David to sign a copy of one of the Dark Horse Star Wars trades last year and he was so nice about it, even telling a story about dealing with Lucasfilm, and did not refuse to sign a reprint he did not get a dime from, what a class act.

"Okay, I love to gripe. Especially about big comics companies. But I have to give props when one of them actually does something that deserves it. Today I got a royalty check from Marvel for volume 2 of their original Star Wars series reprints. (Royalties are one of my favorite things about being a writer. People may say that writing comics isn't exactly brain surgery, but how many brain surgeons get a new check for an operation they performed 30 years ago?) Anyway, the check wasn't gigantic, but it was very, very nice. And I had to compare it to the money I received from Dark Horse for reprinting the same stories at least twice, plus including one reprint with a set of action figures, and add that to the amount I got for their reprinting my entire run of Indiana Jones stories. That total comes to a whopping...ZERO!!!! Thanks a bunch, Dark Horse, yer a peach. And while I'm at it, a genuine thanks to Marvel, for at least being professional about something."
    Last edited by Danny77; 03-29-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Can you ask him if he knows anything about his Iron Man vol. 2?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Can you ask him if he knows anything about his Iron Man vol. 2?
    You mean you want to know if there is an Iron Man Vol 2. Omnibus coming out? I've met him a few times as he lives nearby and does the occasional appearance at the local comic shop or local conventions and my impression is he usually finds out around the same time we do, maybe even after. I'll reach out to him and see what he says.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jestinson3 View Post
    Why hate on them for releasing MOKF? I've never read them, but I've heard good things, so I have the first 2 pre-ordered. I'll probably skip DHOKF though, I'm not interested in a B&W magazine style book. If I buy it, I'm keeping it sealed until I know for sure that I enjoy the MOKF stuff.
    I don't hate them, but it follows a niche character in a niche medium. If that can get mutiple omnibus releases, then anything can.

Yeah. Finally bought mine used off amazon a while back. The story's not that great, but didn't like having a gap on the shelf in my Hulk collection.

That is why ~I'm getting it, I can read the issues on Marvel Unlimited but that gap between my last Bruce Jones Hulk trade and Tempest Fugit is just annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jestinson3 View Post
    I'm not hating on it at all. It's just a weird thing to suddenly pull out of a magic hat for reprinting. I can see why they're doing it: They have the rights back (for how long we don't know), there "appears" to be a demand for it (according to the surveys on the MMW boards and elsewhere as others pointed out), and if Marvel thinks they can make a single dollar by reprinting this material, they'll do it.

Heck, I may even pick it up just out of curiosity and the fact it'll probably never be reprinted again and if I don't like it I'm wagering I'll be able to flip it on down the line for a profit. If I like it, I might pick up successive volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Although I utterly despise the clone saga, I'm gonna disagree with you here. I don't think there's a major fan base for MOFK. I think there's a car crash-like fascination about the series because it hasn't been collected in decades and - for some (just like the clone saga) - there is nostalgia.

Now, there will ALWAYS be a fan base for Spider-Man, so the risk isn't as high.
    This was my point. Aside from folks on comic book message board, and middle aged comic fans who grew up reading it in the 1970s, who even knows what this series is? I just don't see there being an audience for it aside form the MMW zombies who buy every single MMW that comes out. Spidey, Avengers, etc they'll always have fans. MOKF and DHOKF by any measure has a very limited, niche target audience. Heck, even when it was originally published it was sort of an outlier title, created to cash in on the Kung Fu craze of the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Wasn't the arrangement for the rights to Fu Manchu that they would reprint all of it in one format? I remember there being something like that when they made the announcement.
    We don't know what the arrangement was. Maybe it was to get the entire series back in print. Maybe it's a one time deal, or could be only for a couple years. We have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny77 View Post
    Hey everyone. I just wanted to share the below post from David Michelinie from 2/24/16 ...

"Okay, I love to gripe. Especially about big comics companies. But I have to give props when one of them actually does something that deserves it. Today I got a royalty check from Marvel for volume 2 of their original Star Wars series reprints. (Royalties are one of my favorite things about being a writer. People may say that writing comics isn't exactly brain surgery, but how many brain surgeons get a new check for an operation they performed 30 years ago?) Anyway, the check wasn't gigantic, but it was very, very nice. And I had to compare it to the money I received from Dark Horse for reprinting the same stories at least twice, plus including one reprint with a set of action figures, and add that to the amount I got for their reprinting my entire run of Indiana Jones stories. That total comes to a whopping...ZERO!!!! Thanks a bunch, Dark Horse, yer a peach. And while I'm at it, a genuine thanks to Marvel, for at least being professional about something."
    Cool story! Thanks for sharing. Nice to see Marvel doing the right thing by past creators. Weird that Dark Horse didn't pay royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    That is why ~I'm getting it, I can read the issues on Marvel Unlimited but that gap between my last Bruce Jones Hulk trade and Tempest Fugit is just annoying.
    Mycomicshop.com has Vol 8 in stock for $28 in VF, but they don't have Vol 7. Not sure if that helps you out or not!

How many companion books will there be for Secret Wars? I see the main series oversized hardcover was released and The Last Days Of The Marvel Universe oversized hardcover solicit is on Amazon. I am not that familiar with the whole event but I feel like it covers a lot more than what the Last Days book covers.