Page 731 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 2316316817217277287297307317327337347357417818311231 ... LastLast
Results 10,951 to 10,965 of 20730
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    Ok, so now that the contents for Hickmans Avengers vol.2 were released, the debate should be: do I buy the Secret Wars OHC or wait for an impending Omni?

(They pulled the same thing some years ago with Uncanny Avengers by not including Axis, which was the real culmination of the storyline that began with #1. From a sales point I get it, but as a fan I'm still amazed that they keep pulling this sort of thing on us)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaggi_Rck View Post
    Ignore my wishful thinking then But I sincerely hope the reason they kept Secret Wars out of the contents was because they'll eventually put an Omni with the 'complete' event, otherwise they just left a two-volume story in Omnibus format without its proper ending (four-volume, if you count his FF as part of the epic saga he crafted).
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Marvel doesn't care.
    They get more money by requiring readers to buy the OHC.
    Will they do an omnibus? You never know. Maybe but it could take years and years.
    Look at Secret Invasion. It's just now getting one. Civil War and House of M got nice OHCs but no omnibus collection. Fear Itself (which was pretty horrible) didn't even get an OHC.
    I'd personally like a SW omni but with Marvel I never expect anything.
    Heck, they had a great chance to collect an Uncanny X-Men vol. 4 and instead we get some X-Men Classics BS that will no doubt find it's way into the bargain bin. Oh well.
    It would have been great if they had included the Avengers World issues into the 2nd Omnibus. Otherwise I just don't see them oversizing Avengers World. I have both the Time Runs Out and Secret Wars OHCs and feel pretty miffed about purchasing the former as I will end up picking up the 2nd Omnibus and double dipping as a consequence.

This is how Krisis "ideally" mapped out the 2nd Omnibus on his website:
    Avengers by Johnathan Hickman, Vol. 2 – Collects Collects Avengers #24-34 & 34.1-2, New Avengers #13-23, and Avengers World #1-21.

It would be very cool if Marvel changed their minds and decided to do that but I'm not holding my breath.

Marvel are mainly in it to make money and if a run is popular, they will repackage it in various formats which of course can be annoying when we end up double dipping.

@Yaggi_Rick, event OHCS usually go on clearance (Secret Invasion, Siege, AoU, Infinity can still be found at bargain prices) before they consequently go OOP. I would be on the lookout for one at a good price and pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbagger77 View Post
    For other omnibuses sure but the classic SA (BA in the case of UXM) numbered omnibuses such as ASM, FF, etc. have always followed on after the Masterworks because they use the same files and are edited by the same person. For example, we didn't get UXM vol. 3 until after UXM MMW vol.9 was released.
    Oh I understand. I just don't think it's necessary. But it is what it is.

For other omnibuses sure but the classic SA (BA in the case of UXM) numbered omnibuses such as ASM, FF, etc. have always followed on after the Masterworks because they use the same files and are edited by the same person. For example, we didn't get UXM vol. 3 until after UXM MMW vol.9 was released.
    This is right. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind we will get an UXM Vol. 4 Omnibus. Each and every UXM Omni has been a massive seller going to further printings on the first two volumes. Why should Marvel release Vol. 4 when there is so much more money to be made first on other X-collections as well as the Masterworks HCs with the relevant issues. As SJNeal wrote, anything with X sells, so any and all X-books in OHC are no-brainers, although I'm curious how well the Dark Phoenix Omnibus will sell.

It's nice to see how much effort was put into the X-Classic Omnibus. I'm very tempted to pick it up but I'll wait it out and see if it actually does make the bargain bin.

Here's why I don't mind them not including Avengers World but do mind about the exclusion of SW: the former wasn't written by Hickman (except for the first arc), so it could be left out on the basis that the Omnibus collects stories 'by Jonathan Hickman'. But SW reads as the culmination of that specific story the writer set out to tell when taking on the Avengers (or as I pointed earlier, it even works better as a coda to his Fantastic Four run). So what we end up having (for now at least) is an Omnibus set without a proper ending, since most of vol.2 will be a prologue to something that isn't even in the book!

Fantastic Member

I seriously doubt Hickman has written even a page of Avengers World. That credit might as well be there because he talked with Spencer a bit about the thing and some of his ideas were used. There was also a prelude to Avengers World in one of the Point One issues by Spencer. Which the "ideal" vol. 2 doesn't acknowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wisdom View Post
    I seriously doubt Hickman has written even a page of Avengers World. That credit might as well be there because he talked with Spencer a bit about the thing and some of his ideas were used. There was also a prelude to Avengers World in one of the Point One issues by Spencer. Which the "ideal" vol. 2 doesn't acknowledge.
    This is how Spencer described Hickman's contributions when the Avengers World series was announced and it's not far off what you said:

Nrama: What's the writing process for the pair of you sharing duties here?

Spencer: It's a little different than the collaboration on Avengers; I'm in the driver's seat more, and running the ideas by Jonathan and locking them into the broader Avengers narrative. I'm very aware of the fact that is his team and that this fits into a bigger story that spans multiple books-- as such, he's been really helpful in just making sure everything is consistent and coherent.

I wonder about Captain America SA omnis. The next one up (probably a year or so out) would be vol 3, bumping right up to the Kirby Cap omnibus.

My wonder is, when it comes time a few years after THAT, would they re-release the Kirby Cap omnibus as "volume 4" since it's been OOP for years. Or would they re-release it still as Kirby Cap omnibus (new printing)?
    And then after that, would they release "vol 5", when technically there is no vol 4? It would still be a continuous run, just labeled weird on the spine.

Totally trivial, I know, and we're talking YEARS away, but still, it's something I've thought about. We Collectors all have a little OCD in us, and to have vols 1-3, other vol, and then 5+ is a little odd. But ceste la vie.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I wonder about Captain America SA omnis. The next one up (probably a year or so out) would be vol 3, bumping right up to the Kirby Cap omnibus.

My wonder is, when it comes time a few years after THAT, would they re-release the Kirby Cap omnibus as "volume 4" since it's been OOP for years. Or would they re-release it still as Kirby Cap omnibus (new printing)?
    And then after that, would they release "vol 5", when technically there is no vol 4? It would still be a continuous run, just labeled weird on the spine.

Totally trivial, I know, and we're talking YEARS away, but still, it's something I've thought about. We Collectors all have a little OCD in us, and to have vols 1-3, other vol, and then 5+ is a little odd. But ceste la vie.
    Interesting point Rimmer.

I think by that time, they will probably just reprint the Kirby Cap as it was. The name Kirby has more "uumph" than a Vol. 4 and they will probably think up a name for "Vol. 5". We call these early Omnibuses "Silver Age" but I suspect all Vol. 2's crossover from the Silver Age to the Bronze Age. From what I understand, the Silver Age ended around 1970.

Right now, my most wanted Silver Age/Bronze Age Omnibuses are Captain America Vol. 3 and Daredevil Vol. 2.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Right now, my most wanted Silver Age/Bronze Age Omnibuses are Captain America Vol. 3 and Daredevil Vol. 2.
    Add Invincible Iron Man vol. 3 and Incredible Hulk vol.2 for my list.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member

Here's something that makes me incredibly happy---

this morning I purchased FF MMW#19--now this by itself doesn't make me that happy since I have most of this material in a nice hardcover Search For Galactus...

but...that means FF MMW #20, in just a short 12 months away, will collect those Moench FF issues (221-231 IIRC) that have NEVER been collected. I'm so excited...you know...for this event 12 months from now

Then comes a big decision point---keep collecting the MMW to match up with all my earlier FF MMW, or just be satisfied with the Byrne Omnibuses.

Such a weird hobby.
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post

The themed omnibuses are just for the people who want specific runs before the Masterworks reach that point and only want those particular runs. The trade-off there is you got your Kirby run early but the reproduction wasn't as good as it will be in the forthcoming Masterworks (and a few years after that, the Omnibus).

There are some exceptions but these omnis have averaged three Masterworks per volume so Volume 4 would include the contents of the Kirby omni plus more. Kirby's run should be able to be collected in MMW vols 10-11 so the vol. 4 Omnibus should also include the immediate post-Kirby material in MMW vol. 12 too. So if you only want Kirby keep your omnibus. If you want the unbroken Cap run get ready to sell that at some point (it's way too early now).

Oh I understand. I just don't think it's necessary. But it is what it is.
    Look at it this way: if you're going to spend so much on an Omnibus you might as well get the best restoration possible. The people who buy the Masterworks are subsidising the cost of this restoration for those of us who buy the later editions (Omnibuses, Epics, etc.). The downside is that we have to wait longer to get what we want.

Look at it this way: if you're going to spend so much on an Omnibus you might as well get the best restoration possible. The people who buy the Masterworks are subsidising the cost of this restoration for those of us who buy the later editions (Omnibuses, Epics, etc.). The downside is that we have to wait longer to get what we want.
    I respectfully disagree. Plenty of omnibus collections are published prior to a MMW collection. Also, the Masterworks do not subsidize the cost for the buyer. If that were the case, then Uncanny X-Men would drop in price not increase (i.e vol. 3). What it does instead is help Marvel save more money, a benefit they do not pass on to the collector.

I respectfully disagree. Plenty of omnibus collections are published prior to a MMW collection. Also, the Masterworks do not subsidize the cost for the buyer. If that were the case, then Uncanny X-Men would drop in price not increase (i.e vol. 3). What it does instead is help Marvel save more money, a benefit they do not pass on to the collector.
    You're making my point for me: these particular omnibuses i.e. the numbered ones which collect the whole series, are repackaged versions of the Masterworks. Just to be clear I'm not talking about themed omnibuses like Daredevil by Frank Miller; that wasn't edited by Cory Sedlmeier so if the numbered Daredevil Omnibuses ever reach the Miller era they'll use the restored files from any future Masterworks and include the non-Miller issues too. Also, Daredevil will be red instead of orange.

The fact that Marvel is saving money from repackaging the material doesn't mean that we don't save money too. We omnibus buyers are benefiting from the restoration work done on the Masterworks: we're getting three Masterworks for the price of two Masterworks plus it's in oversized format. On top of that the Uncanny X-Men Omnibuses include some stories that were not originally included in the Masterworks and have been upgraded to Masterworks quality e.g. the Marvel Fanfare and Magik issues.

Was just browsing over on the MMW MB and one of the posters there mentioned he'd been into his LCS to pick up books & received a free 2018 Marvel calendar as a giveaway. Why is this news and what does it have to do with collected editions?

Apparently the calendar art for April featured a BWS Conan image. Neat! Does this mean Marvel has the license back for Conan material? If so, can't wait to see some new, remastered Conan material released in Omnibus, MMW, etc!

Did a quick internet search and there are some pics of the calendar on bleedingcool.com. Hopefully Conan will get the Star Wars or MOKF treatment and we will soon see this classic Marvel material reprinted & remastered and back on the shelves. I'd buy it.