Page 948 of 1384 FirstFirst ... 4488488989389449459469479489499509519529589981048 ... LastLast
Results 14,206 to 14,220 of 20754
    Incredible Member

I have heard the Hul by Peter David run mentioned a lot of times but I do not know anything about it. Why is it so beloved?

Is it Bronze Age / 80s stuff?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I have heard the Hul by Peter David run mentioned a lot of times but I do not know anything about it. Why is it so beloved?

It was the start of a long run where David almost completely avoided the traditional Hulk persona and put him into unusual situations that departed from the formula of the series. During this part of the run he turned Hulk into a Las Vegas tough guy named "Joe Fixit."

The early part of the run (just before the Fixit persona was introduced) was also the first major Marvel assignment for Todd McFarlane, and led to him getting "Spider-Man" and becoming one of the biggest art stars of the period.
    Last edited by gurkle; 05-22-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

PAD run is a long run that spans from 1987 to 1998 if IRC. So it has those 80s vibes on the first third and then mutates with the times. And obviously it has its ups and downs.

In my opinion PAD did an excellent character development where everyone had a recognizable voice. It kind of reminds me to Chris Claremont's run in Uncanny X-Men.
    He focused on story cycles so during more than a decade you didn't feel he was repeating himself and evolves Hulk and the rest of characters very well. Many of those cycles also coincide with a specific artist (starts soon with an early Tod McFarlane and the gray smart Hulk, moves to Mr. Fixit and La Vegas storyline, then Dale Keown enters and we get the Professor Hulk, then Gary Frank and the Pantheon, etc.).

It pretty much has everything. Good stories, good art many times (specially with Keown, Frank and Kubert), action, drama and humor (during some issues it kind of feels you are reading a sitcom, specially when Marlo, Rick Jones, the blonde Betty and Professor Hulk share scenes).

I can only recommend it.

This first book just stops with the end of the Mr. Fixit era so the best issues for me are the ones with gray Hulk, Betty and Clay Quartermain on the run.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by producte View Post
    In fact this first omnibus does not overlap with any released Epic. It's almost the first 5 Hulk by PAD Visionaires.

Hulk by Peter David Omnibus Vol. 01:

Incredible Hulk #328, 331-368
    Web of Spider-Man #44
    Fantastic Four #320
    and material from Marvel Comics Presents #26-45
    Web of Spider-man #44 was my first introduction to Mr.Fixit the Gray Hulk. I recall being moderately confused as the Hulk was green in every cartoon I'd seen during Marvel Action Hour on Saturday morning. The TV show "movie events" of the 80s that revisited the popular 70s show had a green Hulk. Why is he Gray here? Printer mistake? That was when I started picking up Hulk.

So stoked for this Omni and can't wait for future volumes!!
    I didn't watch the video, is this to be a 4Q 2019 Omni or 1Q 2020 Omni??

Also pleased about the DD by Bendis reprints.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 05-22-2019 at 07:43 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I reckon IST know that the Spidey DM cover will be very popular and as a result gave the lesser discount. Yes, I remember they did the same with another Variant but I can't recall which one.
    It was the Conan The Barbarian V1 Omni in January. BUT, they gave the crappy volcano cover a 55% discount the first week.
    Last edited by Graphic Autist; 05-22-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Just read the Cates' Thanos run...was amazing, a 9/10 for me. Can't wait to pick up that OHC, but wish they would have included Lemire's run in it as well. Gonna be odd having it next to the two tiny tpbs.

Also read Duggan's GOTG, which was like an 8/10.

Finally, Infinity Wars, which I'd give a 7/10. I'm still going to pick up the big OHC late this year to wrap up the GOTG/Thanos stuff from this 2017-2018 period.

I'm on to reading Cates' GOTG run now, which also has a trade coming out this year.

Where is this information about the DD & Annihilation reprints coming from? Anything official yet? I'll be ecstatic if true, but I'm not ready to get my hopes up based off some dudes opinion on youtube. Who is this guy? Does he have some credible Marvel source?

On the ASM V4 omni, bought the variant and have zero problems paying a whopping $10 more for it. I very much prefer period specific covers on books. A week from now the standard cover will be the same price and the variant will be out of or nearly out of print. Also, while I have zero intention of selling it anytime soon, at some point I'm sure I'll start selling all my books and these variants generally fetch considerably more on the secondary market.

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    Where is this information about the DD & Annihilation reprints coming from? Anything official yet? I'll be ecstatic if true, but I'm not ready to get my hopes up based off some dudes opinion on youtube. Who is this guy? Does he have some credible Marvel source?

On the ASM V4 omni, bought the variant and have zero problems paying a whopping $10 more for it. I very much prefer period specific covers on books. A week from now the standard cover will be the same price and the variant will be out of or nearly out of print. Also, while I have zero intention of selling it anytime soon, at some point I'm sure I'll start selling all my books and these variants generally fetch considerably more on the secondary market.
    He's a super nice guy with a contact at Marvel and he hesitated to let the news out as if it had to be OK'd by them. He is reliable!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    Same here. The quibbling over $10 is a bit hilarious considering the vast savings on the books in general already.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I had no problem ordering the book for an extra $10 on
    Monday, but it was nice to see IST was selling it at
    42% off also, so there was not going to be 50% off.
    Although I do wonder if it would still be available if
    It did get half off.

Peter David’s Incredible Hulk Omni is a very welcome
    Up coming book. I actually followed the whole run
    Buying new floppies off the stands and what I
    Remember most are Peter’s inventive uses of Banners
    Situation and real fun stories along with a few break
    Out artist like Dale Keown And Gary Frank .
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 05-22-2019 at 12:08 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by producte View Post
    In fact this first omnibus does not overlap with any released Epic. It's almost the first 5 Hulk by PAD Visionaires.

Hulk by Peter David Omnibus Vol. 01:

Incredible Hulk #328, 331-368
    Web of Spider-Man #44
    Fantastic Four #320
    and material from Marvel Comics Presents #26-45
    This will be a triple-dip for me, but that's fine. I can finally sell off my Hulk by PAD Visionaries trades now!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Was the 4th Spider-Gwen OHC cancelled? I had it on my wish list on amazon and it seems to have been delisted.

Spectacular Member

so the Slot Silver Surfer omnibus is already oop?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    Sorry if this is a little off topic guys, I apologize if I'm breaking rules here, but someone on reddit posted their way of storing their omnibus collection that seems like the safest way I've seen yet. Looks like gravity won't be damaging these books over time.

Thoughts?

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...for_use_as_an/
    I don't think I would do that personally. The metal might leave an imprint on the books over time.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    Kind of a cool display, but yeah not to my taste.

I'm old fashioned, I guess-- I've always just been drawn to Omni's lined up vertically on a nice, white Kallax shelf.
    Same here. I like mine on my Kallax shelfs.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor