Page 1001 of 1384 FirstFirst ... 501901951991997998999100010011002100310041005101110511101 ... LastLast
Results 15,001 to 15,015 of 20754
    Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

I'm not a big fan of Hulk. I've just never found him too interesting, or his character too deep. I want to like him though and I've been hearing Peter David's run was about as good as it gets.

If anyone cares to - can you convince me why this run is so good?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Hulk. I've just never found him too interesting, or his character too deep. I want to like him though and I've been hearing Peter David's run was about as good as it gets.

Peter David explores the mental and emotional aspects of Banner and the Hulk. Previous stories made the changes in the Hulk a result of outside physical factors. He makes the case that Banner has multiple personality disorder caused by his abuse as a child. The MPD manifests as different versions of the Hulk. The continuing story line is that Banner instead of trying to cure himself of the Hulk, has to heal his own mental scars to become healthy. Banner starts the story with multiple parties after him, unsure of who to trust. At this point he turns into the Gray Hulk, a weaker but more cunning version. When Banner experiences, loss, anger and frustrations, the Green Hulk emerges. When Banner makes an effort reconcile his fractured mind, he emerges as the Professor Hulk version.

The entire run is how Banner is the main character and the Hulk is the manifestation of his mental state.

There's also ongoing supporting cast, old and new villains, and PAD's signature humor style.

If that's an approach that sounds interesting, give it a try. If it sounds meh, let it pass.

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post

I'm currently going through Peter David's stuff in the Epic Collections and have the stories fresh in mind. As Rincewind mentions, David's Hulk is probably deeper than anything any other writer has done with the character. There's a lot going own with the psyche of Bruce Banner - and David doesn't shy away from some controversial topics in his writing, either.

That said, he has some big misses every now and then as well. Don't expect *everything* he wrote to be pure gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    From my experience, they will absolutely honor it. As Omnibus wrote, they will probably get some more copies in.
    Agreed. I ordered mine last TUE and it hasn't been picked yet. I think a more recent example of this happening with them (IST at least) was the Batman Synder/Capullo Omni. It was in stock day of release, instantly disappeared, reappeared like a week later, disappeared again IIRC, and then finally seems to be in stock with all backlog filled.

IST/TOW/DCBS customer service has always been very good to me, so I have no worries about it. If it takes them another few weeks to get more in stock, I'm fine with that.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Rincewind and Hive - thanks guys appreciate the responses

Spectacular Member

Order is in on IST for the Conan and Hulk omnis. Not making the same mistake as I did last week waiting on the Daredevil omni only to have it go out of stock.

I ordered the Hulk omnibus
    Liked the Turner regular cover
    But decided to go wth the McFarlane cover
    Hoping the Turner cover will be under the McFarlane
    And if not I could not pass on a McFarlane DM

Ok underneath is a McFarlane wrap around
    (Thank you Omar from near mint condition )
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 01-14-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I ordered the Hulk omnibus
    Liked the Turner regular cover
    But decided to go wth the McFarlane cover
    Hoping the Turner cover will be under the McFarlane
    And if not I could not pass on a McFarlane DM
    I was not a fan of the variant cover. I am sure it will have better resale value but I thought the regular cover was much nicer to look at.

I like both covers
    McFarlane showed a more detailed
    Hulk while Turners is lost in shadow
    (Which ironically is why it is a great cover
    When you add in the back ground)

Spectacular Member

The regular cover is cool but the McFarlane cover is iconic to me. I really like how it looks with the new shading in the picture of it on IST.

Ordered that one and the Conan 3 variant cover as well.

Is the Immortal Hulk collection an OHC or just a standard HC?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Is the Immortal Hulk collection an OHC or just a standard HC?
    Immortal hulk is oversized.

Yeah, it's cool that they seemed to have made enough of the direct-market covers of the Hulk Omni to fulfill demand, instead of having the DM version sell out in an hour like they sometimes do.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Yeah, it's cool that they seemed to have made enough of the direct-market covers of the Hulk Omni to fulfill demand, instead of having the DM version sell out in an hour like they sometimes do.
    Todd McFarlane still has some of the very best Marvel covers under his belt, IMO. To the point, I bet even the collected department is aware of demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    From my experience, they will absolutely honour it. As Omnibus wrote, they will probably get some more copies in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Agreed. I ordered mine last TUE and it hasn't been picked yet. I think a more recent example of this happening with them (IST at least) was the Batman Synder/Capullo Omni. It was in stock day of release, instantly disappeared, reappeared like a week later, disappeared again IIRC, and then finally seems to be in stock with all backlog filled.

IST/TOW/DCBS customer service has always been very good to me, so I have no worries about it. If it takes them another few weeks to get more in stock, I'm fine with that.

Thanks guys. Mine actually has been shipped after checking their site, just didn't get a "shipped" email.