Is it just me, or is the Donny Cates Cosmic omnibus kind of a rip off, for $100 cover price, but at less than half the size of a $125 omnibus?
    It's basically the size of a $50 OHC.

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Is it just me, or is the Donny Cates Cosmic omnibus kind of a rip off, for $100 cover price, but at less than half the size of a $125 omnibus?
    They do like to jack up the price as soon as they put the "omnibus" label on a book...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    And it's massively duplicative with his previous Thanos OHC
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Amazing Member

Hi folks, just wanted to pop in for a minute to take care of a few nagging questions.... I'd just sold a full run of Invaders assuming there was an omni out that would collect the run. And I'm wrong. Has this been talked about in either omni or MW format? I really should've checked before I sold the set.

Also, was wondering if there was any interest in or rumors of a Doctor Doom omni (a "Doomnibus"). I see the upcoming Loki omni and there's the clumisily-titled Venomnibus, seems like the bad Doc should have something as well. I've really been wanting to find something fairly inclusive of his most essential evil deeds, but he has so many appearances scattered all over. Barring any omni talk, would love to get some recommendations about any great Doom storylines.

Last, I've been reading the Doctor Strange (Strange Tales era) omni and am nearing the end.... is there not a follow-up volume? I don't mind switching to MW's, but have gotten used to the omni format.

Oh, and just want to say how excited I am about the What if? omni!! Most of the legendary Marvel tales were too inaccessible to me as a younger reader in the late 80's (original issues were "wall books" and were prohibitively expensive), so this series is what exposed me to many of those earlier classics!

I know none of the answers you seek, but I’m absolutely here for an Invaders omni. I haven’t heard any rumblings, but I’m also not as well versed in comic news as others.

Mighty Member

I'd bet on a Doomnibus whenever the FF make their way to the MCU

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    I'm a recovering ditherer. I was burned several times in the past on X-Men omnis and Epic Collections going OOP. Now I'm watching websites like a hawk and pre-ordering as many as I can afford of the series I want.

Putting some of my video game library I haven't touched in several years on the market as a result, but what are ya gonna do...
    Infinity Crusade is probably the last Omnibus I was on the hunt for which I hadn't preordered. Around half a year ago, I started preordering all the Omnibuses I was interested in, one of the reasons being the scarcity caused by Covid. I was also interested in the Donny Cates Cosmic Omnibus, but I'm in agreement with others that it's a bit of a rip off and I was only really interested in the Silver Surfer Black and possibly the Death of the Inhumans. If all works out, I'll be expecting a flow of Omnibuses and a few other collected editions coming my way in the following months.

AVENGERS EPIC COLLECTION: A TRAITOR STALKS WITHIN US TPB
    Volume #6 in the Avengers Epic Collections
    Written by ROY THOMAS & STEVE ENGLEHART with HARLAN ELLISON, STAN LEE, STEVE GERBERCHRIS CLAREMONT
    Penciled by BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH, RICH BUCKLER & DON HECK with GEORGE TUSKA, JIM STARLIN, BOB BROWN & SAL BUSCEMA
    Cover by JOHN ROMITA SR.
    Barry Windsor-Smith joins Roy Thomas for a three-part super-saga that assembles every Avenger from issue #1 to #100 against the combined threat of Ares and the Enchantress! Then, Steve Englehart takes the reins and begins his iconic tenure writing Earth’s Mightiest Heroes with an excursion to the Savage Land, the return of the Black Panther, and the traitorous master plan of the Grim Reaper and the Space Phantom! Hawkeye quits the team just as Magneto arrives to battle the combined forces of the Avengers, the X-Men and Daredevil, Mantis makes her stunning first appearance, romance blooms between the Vision and Scarlet Witch, the Black Widow returns, and the Swordsman joins the Avengers’ ranks! Collecting AVENGERS (1963) #98-114 and DAREDEVIL (1964) #99.
    400 PGS./Rated T …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92911-4
    Trim size: 6-5/8 x 10-3/16

POWER MAN & IRON FIST EPIC COLLECTION: HEROES FOR HIRE TPB (NEW PRINTING)
    Volume #1 in the Power Man & Iron Fist Epic Collections
    Written by JO DUFFY with CHRIS CLAREMONT, ED HANNIGAN, BOB LAYTON & STEVEN GRANT
    Penciled by KERRY GAMMILL with JOHN BYRNE, TREVOR VON EEDEN, MIKE ZECK, SAL BUSCEMA,
    LEE ELIAS, MARIE SEVERIN & ALAN WEISS
    Cover by DAVE COCKRUM
    Marvel’s stronger-than-steel man of the streets Luke Cage partners with the mystic kung fu master Iron Fist in the beginning of one of the greatest teams in comic book history! Together, Power Man and Iron Fist are heroes for hire, taking on any job and any challenge — as long as their clients can meet the price. But both heroes have long pasts and old foes out to destroy them. Between facing those menaces and making ends meet, it’s a life short on downtime and long on action! This inaugural Epic Collection features the beginning of our heroes’ partnership; guest appearances by Colleen Wing and Misty Knight, the Daughters of the Dragon; a team-up with the X-Men; and classic villains including Nightshade, Bushmaster and Sabretooth! Collecting POWER MAN #48-49 and POWER MAN AND IRON FIST (1978) #50-70.
    448 PGS./Rated T …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92987-9

MORBIUS EPIC COLLECTION: THE END OF A LIVING VAMPIRE TPB
    Volume #2 in the Morbius Epic Collections
    Written by DOUG MOENCH, BILL MANTLO & DAVID ANTHONY KRAFT with ARCHIE GOODWINRALPH MACCHIO
    Penciled by SONNY TRINIDAD, MIKE VOSBURG & SAL BUSCEMA with FRANK ROBBINS, DON HECK, GEORGE EVANS & ARVELL JONES
    Cover by GIL KANE
    The first era in the dark saga of Marvel’s living vampire concludes! Morbius must save Martine Bancroft from the other-dimensional clutches of Helleyes, while CIA agent Simon Stroud stalks him at every turn! In a pair of black-and-white vampire tales, Morbius struggles with a desperate attempt to end his bloodlust while facing the undead threat of the Brotherhood of Judas! A Morbius showcase in MARVEL PREVIEW sends the living vampire on the hunt for a brutal murderer in the moors of Slade Mansion! And Morbius joins Man-Thing, Ghost Rider and the Werewolf by Night in the Legion of Monsters! Plus: Team-ups with the Thing, Spider-Man and She-Hulk! Collecting FEAR #27-31, MARVEL PREMIERE #28, MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE (1974) #15, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #6-8 and #38; SAVAGE SHE-HULK #9-12; and material from VAMPIRE TALES #9-11 and ANNUAL #1 and MARVEL PREVIEW #8.
    400 PGS./Rated T+ …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92834-6

WOLVERINE EPIC COLLECTION: MADRIPOOR NIGHTS TPB (NEW PRINTING)
    Volume #1 in the Wolverine Epic Collections
    Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT & PETER DAVID
    Penciled by JOHN BUSCEMA & GENE COLAN
    He’s the best there is at what he does…but what he does isn’t very nice. And now, Wolverine has broken out of the X-Men and into his own solo series! Feeling the urge to cut loose, Wolverine travels to Madripoor, and East Indian island full of pirates, cutthroats and smugglers…just the way Logan likes it! There, he’ll take on ruthless crime lord Roche, meet the cunning Tyger Tiger, wield the mystical Black Blade, battle superhuman enforcers Roughhouse and Bloodsport, and contend with drug kingpin Nguyen Ngoc Coy and his niece…the former New Mutants known as Karma! Plus: the Hulk comes to town, a formative battle with Sabretooth is revealed, and Wolverine hunts for the Gehenna Stone! Guest-starring Jessica Drew, a.k.a. Spider-Woman! Collecting WOLVERINE (1988) #1-16 and material from MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS (1988) #1-10 and MARVEL AGE ANNUAL #4.
    504 PGS./Rated T …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92848-3

THOR EPIC COLLECTION: THE FINAL GAUNTLET TPB
    Volume #20 in the Thor Epic Collections
    Written by TOM DeFALCO, RON FRENZ, JIM STARLIN & RON MARZ
    Penciled by GARY HARTLE, GEOF ISHERWOOD, RON FRENZ, M.C. WYMAN, BRUCE ZICK & PAT OLLIFFE
    Cover by RON FRENZ
    The return of Thor! The true Odinson has been located at last, and the end of Eric Masterson’s time as the God of Thunder draws near — but will Bloodaxe be his executioner? Or will the cost of freeing the original Thor prove too much to bear? Thor shall battle Thor, and a new heroic legacy awaits! Then, a mighty quest begins for the Odinson — but something is not right! Can Beta Ray Bill stand in the way of an increasingly unbalanced Thunder God? Thor brutally battles the Super-Skrull, Drax and Pluto as the Infinity Crusade rocks the Marvel Universe! Plus: Hold your hammers high as the Thor Corps reunites! Can Dargo Ktor, Beta Ray Bill and Thunderstrike put aside their differences in time to knock Zarrko the Tomorrow Man into next week? Collecting THOR (1966) #451-467 and THOR CORPS #1-4.
    504 PGS./Rated T …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93088-2

AVENGERS EPIC COLLECTION: THE FINAL THREAT TPB
    (NEW PRINTING)

Volume #9 in the Avengers Epic Collections
    Written by STEVE ENGLEHART, STAN LEE, GERRY CONWAY, JIM SHOOTER, JIM STARLIN & BILL MANTLO
    Penciled by GEORGE PÉREZ, JOHN BYRNE & JIM STARLIN with JACK KIRBY, JOHN BUSCEMA, SAL BUSCEMA,
    DON HECK, GEORGE TUSKA & JIM SHOOTER
    Cover by GEORGE PÉREZ
    A new era begins for Earth’s Mightiest Heroes with a new Avengers lineup under the guidance of writers Gerry Conway and Jim Shooter! Teamed with a who’s who of top 1970s art talent — George Pérez, Jim Starlin and John Byrne — these master storytellers pit the Avengers against the greatest threats in the Marvel Universe! From Doctor Doom to Ultron, from Attuma to the Sub-Mariner, the Avengers are put to the test in issue after action-packed issue! Ant-Man amok, the return of Wonder Man and the Avengers’ all-time classic battle with Thanos highlight this Epic Collection! Collecting AVENGERS (1963) #150-166 and ANNUAL #6-7, SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP #9, and MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE ANNUAL #2.
    440 PGS./Rated T …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92959-6

Mighty Member

I just finished Aaron's run on Thor and enjoyed it. I'm going to get the Simonson omni pretty soon and ordered a few other recommended Thor runs. Is the DeFalco run after that worthwhile? Being "very 90s" is not necessarily bad (I will cape for the first 30-40% of the Clone Saga, for example), but it can be too much sometimes.

Thanks in advance

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I just finished Aaron's run on Thor and enjoyed it. I'm going to get the Simonson omni pretty soon and ordered a few other recommended Thor runs. Is the DeFalco run after that worthwhile? Being "very 90s" is not necessarily bad (I will cape for the first 30-40% of the Clone Saga, for example), but it can be too much sometimes.

Thanks in advance
    The biggest issue for me with the DeFalco run on Thor is that it was such a change is storytelling style from the Simonson run. Simonson had an epic style storyline that focused on Norse myth, jettisoned the Earth identity of Don Blake, made changes to the classic Thor look, and developed many long standing Asgardian characters. The DeFalco run is done in an older Silver Age style storytelling style. DeFalco worked closely with Ron Frenz in a "Marvel Style" where Frenz was a co plotter and DeFalco scripted after the art was done. The DeFalco run returned to the more traditional character look, the Asgardian characters acted more like their pre Simonson characterization, and the stories were set more on Earth and focused on the human characters and supporting cast.

If you don't have a problem with the change from Simonson's style to DeFalco's style and you enjoy Silver Age style comics, then you will enjoy this run. It's definitely better than the Clone Saga. The creative team worked closely together with little change as it went on. The plot is straight forward with all the story elements being developed and resolved. Don't worry about it being "very 90s" since it was done in almost a retro style for the time.