All-New Member

BE966BD1-8A82-4613-A01B-A606969B77CA.jpg
    2D63952D-792A-49E9-8893-E01A73796258.jpg
    F6414E1A-222C-49C1-BADD-3C97C77A64B2.jpg

So after getting uxm4 omni and seeing how bad the binding was I decided to finish off my collection with epics and masterworks. Got my xfactor epic through the post today and not only is the paper quality so bad it’s half the size of previous epics but I got art from the previous page bleeding through colour panels on the page I’m trying to read LOL.
    Last edited by O'Hara; 03-10-2021 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hara View Post

So after getting uxm4 omni and seeing how bad the binding was I decided to finish off my collection with epics and masterworks. Got my xfactor epic through the post today and not only is the paper quality so bad it’s half the size of previous epics but I got art from the previous page bleeding through colour panels on the page I’m trying to read LOL.
    I have the first printing from 2017 and my copy is perfectly fine.

Assuming you have a later printing?

All-New Member

This gem mint guy is a shill, can’t say anything negative in case his free books dry up same with Omar, drip feeding release information and then e-begging for his Patreon. I have no respect.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I have the first printing from 2017 and my copy is perfectly fine.

Assuming you have a later printing?
    Yeah, that's definitely the new printing. I got mine in the mail a couple of weeks ago, and it's definitely the lowest quality Epic Collection I've seen to date...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    We pre-ordered this:

But, we're getting this:

Same here. Quite disappointing in comparison. But what really bums me out is that a lot of collected editions recently are either late or sold out super fast here in Europe. I get all my DM cover books from my regular source but he's only getting books once a month now as shipping has become so prohibitive. Plus he's not getting DC omnis for the time being due to the Diamond issue. Means that I have to rely on Amazon for regular covers and DC but they are also affected by delays and low stock. For instance, I preordered World of Black Hammer last April and should have received it on Tuesday but on Tuesday morning they let me know that it's not available at the moment. All the while Amazon US is selling it on the German Amazon website...

Incredible Member

Hi, I'm still waiting for mine - would you mind sharing what is bad about it? Is it too tight or is it coming apart (or something else)? Thanks

This gem mint guy is a shill, can’t say anything negative in case his free books dry up same with Omar, drip feeding release information and then e-begging for his Patreon. I have no respect.
    Whats worse about Gem Mint is the dude knows absolutely nothing about the stories or creators involved - he comes off like he's just in it for the money.

In contrast, Omar of Near Mint Condition has a vast knowledge of all things comics. You could tell Omar grew up with it and clearly reads nearly everything and has a passion for it all. Omar could talk circles around Gem Mint - and in fact he did when they were on a recent stream together. Gem Mint didnt know ****. I give Omar a pass here for those reasons - plus he has been tough on DC collection dept, some of Marvel's recent bindings, and Image (no covers in spawn compendium) lately.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Same here. Quite disappointing in comparison. But what really bums me out is that a lot of collected editions recently are either late or sold out super fast here in Europe. I get all my DM cover books from my regular source but he's only getting books once a month now as shipping has become so prohibitive. Plus he's not getting DC omnis for the time being due to the Diamond issue. Means that I have to rely on Amazon for regular covers and DC but they are also affected by delays and low stock. For instance, I preordered World of Black Hammer last April and should have received it on Tuesday but on Tuesday morning they let me know that it's not available at the moment. All the while Amazon US is selling it on the German Amazon website...
    I have the same problem with Amazon. They just don't deliver.

Seems harsh. To an extent I get where you're coming from, but I don't find Omar to be too much of a shill or a beggar. Maybe he has gotten worse in recent videos i havent seen but it has basically been like, "hey, if you're able, please join the patreon to help grow the channel". I don't see any harm in that, not at all pushy. And he has obviously cultivated a great relationship with David Gabriel that I think really comes from his genuine love of comics. I was pretty surprised at how "small" his subscriber coubt was relative to his exclusive reveals, so I think that David and Marvel like that he is passionate about the stories themselves and not just in it to have pretty shelves as a YouTube backdrop.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Whats worse about Gem Mint is the dude knows absolutely nothing about the stories or creators involved - he comes off like he's just in it for the money.

In contrast, Omar of Near Mint Condition has a vast knowledge of all things comics. You could tell Omar grew up with it and clearly reads nearly everything and has a passion for it all. Omar could talk circles around Gem Mint - and in fact he did when they were on a recent stream together. Gem Mint didnt know ****. I give Omar a pass here for those reasons - plus he has been tough on DC collection dept, some of Marvel's recent bindings, and Image (no covers in spawn compendium) lately.
    Bingo. I still subscribe and watch some of Gem's videos but he doesn't really seem to really be much of a comic fan. I don't like a lot about him and he seems very disingenuous and more into just having things rather than enjoying the things.

Spectacular Member

I far prefer NMC, but it's a bit unfair to call Gem Mint disingenuous. He did a video a while back where he actually went through his collection book by book and tallied which he'd read. His read total was below half, but he was at least honest about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieMad View Post
    I far prefer NMC, but it's a bit unfair to call Gem Mint disingenuous. He did a video a while back where he actually went through his collection book by book and tallied which he'd read. His read total was below half, but he was at least honest about it.
    That's part of what I'm referring to. He doesn't seem like he's even into reading them and he buys things that he clearly has no interest in or intention of reading. I don't have the time to read all the stuff I have but these things sell out in part, I'm sure, because people like him are buying stuff they won't even read but just "have to" have it because it's an omnibus and consider themselves "omnibus collectors" in "the omnibus game" instead of just being fans of the stories. Also how he just switches his hobbies every couple years or so. He was doing CGC slabs or whatever, then he was doing statues that he kept for a short time, then got rid of those, now he's got arcade games he probably doesn't play, in addition to a collection he apparently barely reads.

It's ultimately his choice and his right, but i imagine I'm far from the only person to think this way because of it.

I'm not saying he doesn't like comics at all, I just think he is more about the appearance of everything, both to himself and to others, than he is about actually enjoying what he has.
    Last edited by Victor_Von_Doom; 03-11-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    That cover is amazing, I fully understand your disappointment. The other cover is quite... meh.
    That sucks! Isn't that kinda a bait and switch kinda thing? I get it, it's JUST the cover, contents are the same, etc... But I ordered THAT cover, i.e. THAT book, not the other one. Other one is okay, but honestly now I think between those two I prefer the std cover.

Again, not a huge deal, I'm not gonna return the book or anything like that, but still, that's weak. I wonder what happened, why would they promote one cover and then pull it? Perhaps an issue with the artist(s) and rights to it (i.e. coming down to $$)?
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hive View Post
    That cover is amazing, I fully understand your disappointment. The other cover is quite... meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Same here. Quite disappointing in comparison..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    That sucks! Isn't that kinda a bait and switch kinda thing? I get it, it's JUST the cover, contents are the same, etc... But I ordered THAT cover, i.e. THAT book, not the other one. Other one is okay, but honestly now I think between those two I prefer the std cover.

Again, not a huge deal, I'm not gonna return the book or anything like that, but still, that's weak. I wonder what happened, why would they promote one cover and then pull it? Perhaps an issue with the artist(s) and rights to it (i.e. coming down to $$)?
    Exactly. I also ordered THAT cover and now we're getting something on par with the Std Conan the Barbarian Omnibus Vol. 1 opera cover. I know it's the content that counts but man, that originally solicited cover was gorgeous whereas the "new" one is just several classes below. I also thought it could be something to do with artist/rights.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I didn't read any of the Dan Slott IM in monthly format.
    The Omnibus is next week.

Thoughts on the content? Any of it currently relevant?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime