Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    No way! I buy them to read the content

I do make sure to keep them all in good condition though. At some point or another, I may want to sell.
    I hear ya. You have to admit though, it's somewhat harder to crack open the seal on a book once it has tripled in value.

Btw, who is picking up the Hickman X-Men OHC? It's becoming a tough call, given how wide this line has expanded. Hard to know if it will contain relevant stories like "X of Swords" or if I'll need to buy that separately. Watch it be OOP by the time we actually know.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    I hear ya. You have to admit though, it's somewhat harder to crack open the seal on a book once it has tripled in value.

Btw, who is picking up the Hickman X-Men OHC? It's becoming a tough call, given how wide this line has expanded. Hard to know if it will contain relevant stories like "X of Swords" or if I'll need to buy that separately. Watch it be OOP by the time we actually know.
    Is that OHC supposed to be the first 12 issues or something? The way they're collecting the Dawn of X trades and Reign of X is so odd to me. Is anyone getting these? What's your opinion on them?

Anyone ever feel bad cracking these things open?
    Thinking of opening Uncanny X-Force omnibus, but it's almost harder to appreciate it, given the rise in value.

I'm trying to remind myself that I have my favorite arc from the run in single-issue format, so it's okay to indulge and treat the floppies as the collector pieces, but....easier said than done.
    Definitely. About to go through this myself. Decided to finally read through the whole Giffen/Abnett/Lanning cosmic saga, and I just saw how much my unopened War Of Kings omnibus is selling for.

Honestly, there have been a few times where I decided to sell before finally opening because the prices were too good to pass up. If a book gets close to $300 and I haven’t opened it yet, if it’s not a personal classic and if I can read it on Marvel Unlimited I’d rather have the money and clear out much needed space on my shelf.

If it’s anything like how they collected his Avengers runs in OHC, expect overlap. One of the books, I believe Avengers Vol 2, was a 100% double dip if you bought the Infinity OHC.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Marvel seems insistent on keeping those out of print. Vol 1 was already OOP and pricey when I first started buying bookshelf collections back in 2012. Even when Bendis brought the original five X-Men to modern times and it was a major storyline, you’d assume that was the perfect time for a reprint, but nothing. Meanwhile, books that had to be remaindered and dumped only a few years ago are getting reprints.
    I wasn't aware of this. They've only had one print each?

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I settled on the Epics myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I would think they've been kicked to the the end of the line of reprints, but you would think they would eventually reprint them, yeah? I mean, x-omnis are like printing money, so why not? They're obviously focusing on the more popular stuff first, like Uncanny, Inferno, Mutant Massacre, Age of Apoc, etc... but I would think once they get past that glut that the time will come to reprint both vols 1 +2. In fact, I wonder if they'd do like the Cap Britain omni and repackage these to include the ancillary material in Epic "Always Darkest before the dawn". If they were on the fence about how these would sell, by throwing those in the mix, TONs of people would buy them, since these have never been in oversize formet. C'mon, Marvel, make it happen.
    Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm leaning more towards the epics right now. One of them has a reprint tomorrow so I might pick that one up.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

CAPTAIN AMERICA EPIC COLLECTION: DAWN’S EARLY LIGHT TPB (NEW PRINTING)
    Volume #9 in the Captain America Epic Collections
    Written by ROGER STERN, JOHN BYRNE, BILL MANTLO, JIM SHOOTER, DAVID MICHELINIE, AL MILGROM, J.M. DEMATTEIS, DAVID ANTHONY KRAFT & MORE
    Penciled by JOHN BYRNE, GENE COLAN, LEE ELIAS, MIKE ZECK & ALAN KUPPERBERG
    Cover by JOHN BYRNE
    ON SALE JULY 2021
    Even for Captain America, life has rarely been this eventful! Battling the robotic Dragon Man above New York, considering a run for president and saving Manhattan from fiery destruction at the hands of Batroc and Mister Hyde is all in a day’s work. And a trip to England proves to be no vacation either as Cap encounters the vampire Baron Blood and the chilling Ghost of Greymoor Castle! Back home in the States, our hero learns that Hollywood plans to make a Captain America movie — but his greatest foe, the Red Skull, has a very different script in mind! Finally, Cap must prevent Morgan MacNeil Hardy from rewriting the American Dream — but can even Spider-Man help the Sentinel of Liberty stop a cyborg from destroying Washington, DC? Collecting CAPTAIN AMERICA (1968) #247-266 and ANNUAL #5.
    496 PGS./Rated T …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92960-2
    Trim size: 6-5/8 x 10-3/16

DOCTOR STRANGE EPIC COLLECTION: MASTER OF THE MYSTIC ARTS TPB (NEW PRINTING)
    Volume #1 in the Doctor Strange Epic Collections
    Written by STAN LEE & STEVE DITKO
    Penciled by STEVE DITKO
    Cover by STEVE DITKO
    ON SALE JULY 2021
    A vain man driven by greed and hubris, Dr. Stephen Strange was a world-renowned surgeon until the night a car accident crippled his hands. Broken and destitute, he journeyed to Tibet to seek a cure from a legendary healer. There he found not a man of medicine, but the venerable Ancient One — and the path to the mystic arts! From Doctor Strange’s eerie Greenwich Village home, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created new dimensions and otherworldly terrors unlike anything seen before. These classic first stories remain as influential today as they were to 1960s counterculture. In this premiere volume, experience the debut of iconic characters Baron Mordo, Eternity, Dormammu and the Mindless Ones — as well as Strange’s allies Wong and Clea! Collecting material from STRANGE TALES (1951) #110-111 and #114-146 and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #2.
    400 PGS./All Ages …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92968-8

X-MEN EPIC COLLECTION: MUTANT GENESIS TPB (NEW PRINTING)
    Volume #19 in the X-Men Epic Collections
    Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT, JIM LEE, WHILCE PORTACIO, FABIAN NICIEZA, PETER DAVID & LEN KAMINSKI
    Penciled by TOM RANEY, WHILCE PORTACIO, KIRK JARVINEN, PAUL SMITH, ANDY KUBERT, STEVEN BUTLER, JIM LEE, TERRY SHOEMAKER & MORE
    Cover by JIM LEE
    The end of an era for the X-Men! The original team, now called X-Factor, takes center stage when Proteus returns from the grave. But when Apocalypse strikes — infecting Cyclops’ son, Nathan, with a deadly virus — Cyclops must make a bitter sacrifice! And the current X-Men return to Earth to find that Professor X’s old foe the Shadow King has risen — and taken over Muir Island! It will take the combined strength of X-Factor and the X-Men to triumph — and when the dust clears, the two teams will become one! An uncanny new era begins as the reunited X-Men go back to basics, beginning with a deadly confrontation with Magneto and his fanatical Acolytes! Collecting UNCANNY X-MEN (1981) #278-280, X-MEN ANNUAL (1970) #15, X-FACTOR (1986) #65-70, X-MEN (1991) #1-3 and material from NEW MUTANTS ANNUAL #7 and X-FACTOR ANNUAL #6.
    472 PGS./Rated T …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-92999-2

NEW MUTANTS EPIC COLLECTION: SUDDEN DEATH TPB
    Volume #5 in the New Mutants Epic Collections
    Written by LOUISE SIMONSON, CHRIS CLAREMONT & MARK GRUENWALD
    Penciled by BRET BLEVINS, JUNE BRIGMAN, JON J. MUTH, BO HAMPTON, TERRY SHOEMAKER & RON LIM
    Cover by BRET BLEVINS
    Tragedy strikes the New Mutants! Meet Bird-Brain, a bizarre creature who’s about to become the team’s feathered friend. The New Mutants face off against their rivals, the Hellions, to track Bird-Brain down — but before the quest is done, one of them will switch sides! And there’s worse in store for the team as they trace Bird-Brain’s origins back to the freak-filled island of the Ani-Mator. Between Ani-Mator’s weird science and the armored killers of the Right, one of the New Mutants will not return home! Shattered by grief, guilt and loss, how can the team possibly move forward? The New Mutants clash with Freedom Force, and the alluring alien Gosamyr draws the team into an outer space adventure. But as Illyana’s rage grows, there’s trouble brewing in Limbo. Collecting NEW MUTANTS (1983) #55-70 and ANNUAL #4.
    464 PGS./Rated T …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93084-4

WOLVERINE EPIC COLLECTION: BLOOD AND CLAWS TPB
    Volume #3 in the Wolverine Epic Collections
    Written by LARRY HAMA, PETER DAVID, ALAN DAVIS & TOM DEFALCO
    Penciled by MARC SILVESTRI, LARRY STROMAN, ALAN DAVIS & JOHN BUSCEMA
    Cover by MARC SILVESTRI
    A new chapter in the life of the berserker mutant! Lethal Larry Hama kicks off his epic run with artistic superstar Marc Silvestri! And they begin in Madripoor, where Wolverine investigates an insidious and destructive new designer drug! Then, a Yukon vacation turns deadly when Wolverine encounters the mythical Hunter in Darkness! And when Lady Deathstrike attacks, Wolverine and his old Alpha Flight buddy Puck are cast into a time vortex — and wind up reliving the Spanish Civil War! Back in the present, the Reavers cook up their deadliest cyborgs yet: Albert, a mechanical doppelganger of Wolverine, and his adorable and explosive partner, Elsie-Dee! And when the savage Sabretooth returns, convinced he’s Wolverine’s father, Jubilee, Forge, Cable and Nick Fury must come to Logan’s aid! Collecting WOLVERINE (1988) #31-44, WOLVERINE: BLOODLUST and WOLVERINE: BLOODY CHOICES.
    456 PGS./Rated T+ …$39.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93089-9

CAPTAIN AMERICA EPIC COLLECTION: THE CAPTAIN TPB
    Volume #14 in the Captain America Epic Collections
    Written by MARK GRUENWALD, BOB LAYTON & DAVID MICHELINIE
    Penciled by TOM MORGAN, KIERON DWYER, JOHN BYRNE & MARK BRIGHT
    Cover by KIERON DWYER
    O Captain! My Captain! When Steve Rogers refuses to become a government operative, a new Captain America takes up the uniform and shield! John Walker does his best to fill Rogers’ big shoes, but can he handle the pressure? Meanwhile, Rogers reinvents himself as the Captain! But why is he trading blows with his old friend Iron Man? Freedom Force, the Horsemen of Apocalypse and the Serpent Society wreak havoc, but the Red Skull’s return will put the two Caps on a collision course — and in the end, only one shall wield the shield! Collecting CAPTAIN AMERICA (1968) #333-350 and IRON MAN (1968) #228.
    504 PGS./Rated T …$44.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93070-7

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Agree with Rimmer above - these were written around when Ep 1 came out, so it's a lot of Maul, Qui-Gon, etc. without much foreshadowing of or building to what is to come.

On the other hand, if you're a completionist and prone to deep regret about holes on your shelf (pauses to nod to himself), this could be the first of 3-4 omnibuses that carry through from before The Phantom Menace to just after Revenge of the Sith (basically The Menace Revealed v1-3 and The Clone Wars v1-4 epic collections).
    Yeah they don’t look too gripping IMO... I thought that the prequel trilogy was pretty much trash...

On the other hand I hear that the comics about Darth Plagueis are supposed to be really good... but those aren’t included in this one.

Where would those fall in the omnibus order I wonder...

Anyone ever feel bad cracking these things open?
    Thinking of opening Uncanny X-Force omnibus, but it's almost harder to appreciate it, given the rise in value.

I'm trying to remind myself that I have my favorite arc from the run in single-issue format, so it's okay to indulge and treat the floppies as the collector pieces, but....easier said than done.
    I relate to this a ton. I love that UXF run, and I sold the first printing of it because the price skyrocketed. Now I'm tempted to do it again!

Anyone else have an expensive March?

I have had weekly orders at IST since 02.23.

And plan to place another this afternoon!

My wallet needs a break

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Anyone else have an expensive March?
    Yeah, but that's because I've pre-ordered almost all Epic Collections I want for the entire year this month...

6EE01FC6-F9A9-4D4B-B1E3-1A5F2641E68B.jpg

Got my Morrison New X-Men omnibus! Pity Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men run is out of print, that’s the other X-Men I’m dying to have.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/