Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    After Miller, Bendis and Brubaker it's a big change. I've ordered them. So, I'll know in a while
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Waid's Daredevil is an absolute top-notch Marvel comic run, in my opinion. My favorite DD run behind Miller.
    What is Marcos Martin doing these days anyway? For a while he was doing Panel Syndicate stuff with BKV and Brubaker, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Another series: Guardians of the Galaxy, Abnett&Lanning and Bendis omni. What are the thoughts about these?
    I’m a huge Bendis Marvel fan, but his Guardians run did little for me. It was an okay read on Marvel Unlimited, but nothing worth spending omnibus money on.

Abnett & Lanning is tricky. It’s a great run, but it’s constantly intertwined in their cosmic saga. So much so that the entire series is contained in the Road To War Of Kings, War Of Kings, and Realm Of Kings omnis, making their solo omnibus a complete double dip. Might be worth waiting for reprints of those instead.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Didn't realize there was so much demand for pre-Claremont X-men. Is it for the sake of completion? Are folks actually big fans of those days?
    A lot of it’s completionism, no doubt. (I’ll admit to occasionally wishing my LCS hadn’t had volume 2 during their 50% off sale all those years ago.) And as csista noted, it’s been OOP for like a decade.

And then the other thing is “Spider-Man 3 Syndrome,” where the popular perception pendulum has swung past the accurate “yeah, this isn’t the best” all the way into “this is the worst thing that has ever existed.” Like, early X-Men has some stinkers, no question. But it also lays the foundation for so much of what would later be great. The school setting, the “hated and feared” angle, Magneto, the Brotherhood, the Sentinels, the Juggernaut... those all debuted in those first handful of issues.

No, it’s not the best of the Silver Age. But neither is SA Iron Man, or Daredevil , or early Thor, or Hulk (where his gimmick changed half a dozen times in the early months). We accept the flaws and read them if we’re interested. (And I am.)

My copy of the Stern Spiderman omni arrived today from IST. Can't wait to dive into it as I never read any of the run but have heard great things.

Incredible Member

I'd love to see a Dematties Spider-Man omnibus. Seems overdue.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    My copy of the Stern Spiderman omni arrived today from IST. Can't wait to dive into it as I never read any of the run but have heard great things.
    Damn you got it fast. Mine hasn't even shipped yet.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    I’m a huge Bendis Marvel fan, but his Guardians run did little for me. It was an okay read on Marvel Unlimited, but nothing worth spending omnibus money on.

Abnett & Lanning is tricky. It’s a great run, but it’s constantly intertwined in their cosmic saga. So much so that the entire series is contained in the Road To War Of Kings, War Of Kings, and Realm Of Kings omnis, making their solo omnibus a complete double dip. Might be worth waiting for reprints of those instead.
    That was my hesitation. Getting back to Marvel after decades, it's difficult to know where to start and what to pick up. Currently focussing on stuff I can easily get into.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    A lot of it’s completionism, no doubt. (I’ll admit to occasionally wishing my LCS hadn’t had volume 2 during their 50% off sale all those years ago.) And as csista noted, it’s been OOP for like a decade.

And then the other thing is “Spider-Man 3 Syndrome,” where the popular perception pendulum has swung past the accurate “yeah, this isn’t the best” all the way into “this is the worst thing that has ever existed.” Like, early X-Men has some stinkers, no question. But it also lays the foundation for so much of what would later be great. The school setting, the “hated and feared” angle, Magneto, the Brotherhood, the Sentinels, the Juggernaut... those all debuted in those first handful of issues.

No, it’s not the best of the Silver Age. But neither is SA Iron Man, or Daredevil , or early Thor, or Hulk (where his gimmick changed half a dozen times in the early months). We accept the flaws and read them if we’re interested. (And I am.)
    Excellent points on silver age. I think most people rate X-Men and Thor near the bottom of the bunch, but still, from at least a historical perspective, seeing how the characters that are still kicking NOW came to be all that time ago, that's fun. Thor was rough, no doubt; when your main recurring villain tends to be Cobra, you know you're reaching. It wasn't until they started looping in Asgard that Thor really took off. X-Men had some bumps, too, like you would've thought Scott's name was "Slim" for a few issues there, and Xavier's pining for Marvel Girl; Jean was what, 18 at best? and he was already (loosely) late 30's or 40's? That's creepy.

But they all had their bumps. I mean, FF is often thought of as the #1 (or 1A with Spidey) best silver age material, but OMG, can they bicker any more in each and every issue? It's like, is there even a bad guy around, or are you just gonna bicker and argue all issue? Thankfully that 'plot point' more or less got left behind eventually.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Astonishing Member

2 new Marvel omnibus coming out in Feb 2022

Makes sense considering the sequel is coming out in March 2022.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I will for sure make that vol.3 a priority to complete that series. The Jason Aaron volume will be a wait and see. I've already got Invaders Omni for that month.
    I like that both covers for the vol.3 are actual covers during the run. I'm leaning towards the Direct Market cover(issue 80) cause you can see Steven's eyes.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Since most others are chiming in, I will as well...

1. X-Men Fall of the Mutants OHC HAVE
    2. Avengers by Jonathan Hickman Volume 1 HAVE
    3. X-Men Omnibus Volume 1 PASS
    4. Amazing Spider-Man by J. Michael Straczynski Omnibus Volume 1 HAVE
    5. War of Kings Omnibus HAVE
    6. Avengers by Jonathan Hickman Omnibus Volume 2 HAVE
    7. Star Wars: Darth Vader Omnibus WANT - the only book on this list I don't have and want!
    8. Fantastic Four by Hickman Omnibus Volume 2 HAVE
    9. Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus HAVE
    10. Daredevil by Brubaker Omnibus Volume 1 HAVE
    11. Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Volume 1 HAD, sold
    12. Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus HAVE
    13. X-Men Omnibus Volume 2 PASS
    14. Fantastic Four John Byrne Omnibus Volume 2 HAVE
    15. Avengers by Busiek and Perez Omnibus Volume 1 HAVE
    16. Silver Surfer by Slott and Allred Omnibus HAVE
    17. Secret Wars Omnibus PASS
    18. War of the Realms Omnibus HAVE
    19. Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Volume 4 PASS
    20. X-Men/Avengers Onslaught Omnibus PASS

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

2 new Marvel omnibus coming out in Feb 2022

Makes sense considering the sequel is coming out in March 2022.
    I'll get the vol.3 but a hard pass for me on the other one. IMO the Aaron run was absolutely terrible.

Suppose I'll join in on the fun:

1. X-Men Fall of the Mutants OHC HAVE
    2. Avengers by Jonathan Hickman Volume 1 HAD, SOLD, WOULD REBUY
    3. X-Men Omnibus Volume 1 HAVE
    4. Amazing Spider-Man by J. Michael Straczynski Omnibus Volume 1 PASS
    5. War of Kings Omnibus HAVE
    6. Avengers by Jonathan Hickman Omnibus Volume 2 HAD, SOLD, WOULD REBUY
    7. Star Wars: Darth Vader Omnibus PASS
    8. Fantastic Four by Hickman Omnibus Volume 2 HAVE
    9. Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus PASS
    10. Daredevil by Brubaker Omnibus Volume 1 HAVE
    11. Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Volume 1 HAVE
    12. Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus HAVE
    13. X-Men Omnibus Volume 2 HAVE
    14. Fantastic Four John Byrne Omnibus Volume 2 PASS
    15. Avengers by Busiek and Perez Omnibus Volume 1 HAD, SOLD
    16. Silver Surfer by Slott and Allred Omnibus PASS
    17. Secret Wars Omnibus PASS
    18. War of the Realms Omnibus PASS
    19. Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Volume 4 MAYBE
    20. X-Men/Avengers Onslaught Omnibus HAVE

Astonishing Member

I'll get the vol.3 but a hard pass for me on the other one. IMO the Aaron run was absolutely terrible.
    I'm surprised we're getting a 3rd volume of the Sorcerer Supreme run instead of a silver age volume 2.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

The same for me. Very happy about that third volume!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?