Incredible Member

Anyone else order the Venom Gallery Edition?

It's sort of an odd little collection. but it's not often enough that we get to see Todd McFarlane's art all blown up.

Re: Busiek’s Iron Man

I would go as far as saying it’s the best Iron Man run of any volume since the first (classic) ended after Onslaught. I agree that it’s not quite up to par with Avengers or Thunderbolts, but those were also two of Marvel’s best books of the 90s. His Iron Man was pretty great.

Incredible Member

I’ve never read Buisek’s Iron Man. I like the Matt Fraction run, and of course, Warren Ellis. I’m sure most people here have read those already.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Why are the Hickman Avengers omnis so expensive? I know they are solid books but they seem so pricey.
    Out of print, weren't in print very long compared to other books released at the time, and a popular and important run.

Also, Hickman is very much a long game writer who's work benefits from being read all at once instead of piecemeal in smaller collections. This is also why his Fantastic Four omnis became so pricey as soon as they went OOP. And because you had to switch back and forth between two titles for the story, it's kind of a nuisance to read in separate trades or OHCs compared to an omnibus.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

So apparently it was recently announced that the Immortal Hulk run by Ewing is going to end with #50. So we're looking at 2 omnibus eventually?

a source: https://www.gamesradar.com/immortal-...series-finale/

Incredible Member

The Busiek Iron Man is pretty good. It peters off towards the end, so that when Quesada took over for his amazing arc I was primed for a change. I'd say buy the first complete collection and see if you like it.

For me, Iron Man goes...
    1) Fraction
    2) Ellis / Knaufs
    3) Busiek
    4) Quesada

Didn't like Gillen or Bendis, never read the Michelinie run.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post
    So apparently it was recently announced that the Immortal Hulk run by Ewing is going to end with #50. So we're looking at 2 omnibus eventually?

a source: https://www.gamesradar.com/immortal-...series-finale/
    It may have been restated recently it is ending at #50 but the announcement was made some time end of last year.
    The overall thought is it does seem most would like this to be a two volume set vs a mammoth brick.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

My kingdom for a Fraction Iron Man omni.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    My kingdom for a Fraction Iron Man omni.
    Same. I've only read it once, nearly a decade ago, but it's been on my mind lately, because I think I really enjoyed it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Same. I've only read it once, nearly a decade ago, but it's been on my mind lately, because I think I really enjoyed it.
    Love the Fraction run. Modern classic. Especially cuz it had a singular writer/artist vision throughout. How many other modern series (post 2000) can boast that (for series that lasted several years)? Bendis/Bagley USM, I think.

The Busiek Iron Man is pretty good. It peters off towards the end, so that when Quesada took over for his amazing arc I was primed for a change. I'd say buy the first complete collection and see if you like it.

For me, Iron Man goes...
    1) Fraction
    2) Ellis / Knaufs
    3) Busiek
    4) Quesada

Didn't like Gillen or Bendis, never read the Michelinie run.
    I'd squeeze the Michelinie/Layton run(s) in between 1 & 2.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    I'd squeeze the Michelinie/Layton run(s) in between 1 & 2.
    This is the Demon in a Bottle era, right? Aside from that arc, what else is this era known / renowned for?

This is the Demon in a Bottle era, right? Aside from that arc, what else is this era known / renowned for?
    I've been bad! I just bought a couple of books: Trial of Cap. America, Cap. America by Waid omni, Shadowland omni, Howard the Duck omni and Iron Man by Busiek omni.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I've been bad! I just bought a couple of books: Trial of Cap. America, Cap. America by Waid omni, Shadowland omni, Howard the Duck omni and Iron Man by Busiek omni.
    I approve of 3 out of 5 of those choices.

Astonishing Member

The first Michelinie/Layton run introduced Rhodey, Justin Hammer, Bethany Cabe, and the specialty armors. The second run had the Armor Wars story and introduced the Ghost. Both runs had a fun Iron Man/Doctor Doom story.