Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Need the first two UXM omnis, and Onslaught.

Onslaught came out when I was still fairly young and the idea of the entire MU coming together to fight and OMG NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN! still held a certain sway with me. I’ve read it again in the years that followed, and I totally see all of its flaws now, but this’ll be a must-have nostalgia buy for me.
    Onslaught was when I started reading comics and I still think it's written pretty well. But... I won't be buying this omni for the same reason I didn't buy the Inferno omni, which is wayyy too much filler. That's why for both these events I'm content with the Milestone collections. They really just collect the essential issues and discard the rest. :chef's kiss:

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I skipped on the Onslaught omni the first time, because I assumed it would be another Avengers: The Crossing - available at deep discounts for years after first print. I was wrong, and ended up getting the more recent thick trades. Ended up spending less money and they're easier to read (and eventually pack up and move).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post

Upcoming Omnibus reprint:

X-Men/Avengers: Onslaught Omnibus reprint confirmed (January 2022):

Back in print/to be restocked:

X-Men Inferno Omnibus (11/10/2021)
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 4 (11/17/2021)
    New Mutants Omnibus Vol. 1 (11/24/2021)
    Incredible Hulk by Peter David Omnibus Vol. 1 (11/24/2021)
    Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus (12/01/2021)
    Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol. 1 (12/01/2021)
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 3 (12/08/2021)
    Captain America by Ed Brubaker (12/08/2021)
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 2 (12/15/2021)
    Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 2 (12/15/2021)
    Astonishing X-Men Omnibus (12/15/2021)
    Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 1 (12/02/2021)
    Silver Surfer Omnibus Vol. 1 (12/02/2021)
    Thinking I’ll get PAD Hulk vol. 1 and Astonishing X-Men
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

I'm in the process of buying TPBs of events like Civil War, Original Sin, Siege, House of M, AvX, Secret Wars (Hickman), Fear Itself, etc., just because Marvel has this super weird habit of not putting major, best-selling events into omnis (until recently I guess, i.e. War of the Realms, etc.). And even if they do get omnis, they'll have plenty of filler (Inferno, Onslaught, WotR) AND they won't be included in the omnis of their parent books (New Avengers, X-men, Thor, etc.). Sigh...

It really is confounding that they won't collect something super impactful like Civil War. Just leaving money on the table. And the way they omni'd Bendis' New Avengers is frustrating, because the first omni (which itself doesn't collect the Secret War or Illuminati minis) goes up to NA 31, but then the Secret Invasion omni re-collects #31 and then skips over NA 33-38; meaning, a third Bendis omni would have to collect NA 33-38 and then jump to #50 (since SI collects NA 39-49). Unless they do massive overlap.

Frustrating.
    Last edited by newparisian; 05-29-2021 at 04:16 AM.

Now I'm back into Marvel I'm still (re)discovering new things. I still think it's hard to collect x-men, avengers and spidey in omnis. So I'm looking for other stuff. I see there are 3 Venomnibuses. Are they still good (holding up)? Or not worth to buy?
    Last edited by JPAR; 05-29-2021 at 06:36 AM.

Amazing Member

Does anyone know if the Epics use the remaster artwork from the Masterworks? Specifically the Daredevil issues. I have been thinking about getting into epics but the Masterworks are so well done.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Does anyone know how far out from a book's release does ToW do preorders?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Now I'm back into Marvel I'm still (re)discovering new things. I still think it's hard to collect x-men, avengers and spidey in omnis. So I'm looking for other stuff. I see there are 3 Venomnibuses. Are they still good (holding up)? Or not worth to buy?
    Have you ever read them before? Did YOU like them?

Objectively speaking, no, they aren’t particularly good. A rotating cast of writers on a series of miniseries means there aren’t a lot of continuing plot threads or supporting characters, the art varies wildly, and there’s not a lot of room for growth. Eddie isn’t the most compelling character and lots of the minis are just mindless slugfests. A lot of people would tell you there wasn’t a consistently good Venom series until the Flash Thompson “Agent Venom” series.

That said, if you grew up reading them and have nostalgia for them, you might still really enjoy them. Don’t let me talk you out of them. But if you’re asking are they “good” comics? No, they aren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Have you ever read them before? Did YOU like them?

Objectively speaking, no, they aren’t particularly good. A rotating cast of writers on a series of miniseries means there aren’t a lot of continuing plot threads or supporting characters, the art varies wildly, and there’s not a lot of room for growth. Eddie isn’t the most compelling character and lots of the minis are just mindless slugfests. A lot of people would tell you there wasn’t a consistently good Venom series until the Flash Thompson “Agent Venom” series.

That said, if you grew up reading them and have nostalgia for them, you might still really enjoy them. Don’t let me talk you out of them. But if you’re asking are they “good” comics? No, they aren’t.
    Thanks. I read the first issues when I was young. So, it would be nostalgia. But that doesn't mean I'm going to buy them. I hoped the series had evolved, but they didn't. It's a pass for me.

Any other suggestions? Keep them coming

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Six new Marvel Masterworks coming in 2022:

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Here are the six announced Marvel Masterworks:

Jan - Marvel Two-In-One Vol. 6 - collects Marvel Two-In-One #61-74
    Feb - Doctor Strange Vol. 10 - collects Doctor Strange #58-73
    Mar - Uncanny X-Men Vol. 14 - collects Uncanny X-Men #210-219 & Annual #10, New Mutants Annual #2, Fantastic Four vs. The X-Men #1-4
    Mar - Defenders Vol. 8 - collects Defenders #76-91; material from Tales to Astonish #13
    Apr - Thor Vol. 21 - collects Thor #315-327 & Annual #10; material from Bizarre Adventures #32
    Apr - Dazzler Vol. 3 - collects Dazzler #26-34 & Marvel Graphic Novel #12

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

So a 4th and final volume to complete Dazzler then probably an Omnibus a year after that.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Marvel really needs to get that Fall of Mutants omnibus back in print with all these other x-men omni reprints.
    Last edited by Judge Dredd; 06-01-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Feb - Doctor Strange Vol. 10 - collects Doctor Strange #58-73
    Mar - Defenders Vol. 8 - collects Defenders #76-91; material from Tales to Astonish #13
    Just these two for me. Since that series ended with #81, I wonder what else they can pad Doc vol. 11 with? 8 issues for a $75 book would be outrageous (even by Marvel standards) and I'm pretty sure there aren't any more annuals.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Just these two for me. Since that series ended with #81, I wonder what else they can pad Doc vol. 11 with? 8 issues for a $75 book would be outrageous (even by Marvel standards) and I'm pretty sure there aren't any more annuals.
    Could be Stern's Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom OGN, Triumph & Torment? Maybe the first few issues of Strange Tales (his next ongoing series), minus the Cloak & Dagger stories? Back in MMW v4, they concluded his Volume 1 series and went into Marvel Premiere; then similarly in v5, Marvel Premiere wrapped up and his Volume 2 series began. Including the OGN would be a great way to raise the Stern appeal of MMW v11, since otherwise issue 75 is his only content.