Page 12 of 1382 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622621125121012 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    Has anyone read the Spider-Man "Next Chapter" stuff by Mackie/Byrne and Co. for the relaunch of Spider-Man in the late 90's or early 00's? The art looks pretty decent and I'm a huge Spidey fan....(I wish they would have gotten around to collecting the Paul Jenkins stuff but it seems they stopped at book 3)
    Please don't talk about this series. Just . . . pretend you never heard of it.

I'm a couple hundred pages into the SHIELD omnibus and I'm really enjoying it, which, for me Stan Lee, is so hit or miss with that Silver Age storytelling. Also, I'm not a huge Kirby fan (yes, blasphemy, I know), but I think this is some of his best artwork and I haven't even gotten to the Steranko stuff yet!

A heads up as Uncanny X-men omnibus volume 2 just jumped to $100 at CGN. It has been sold out for awhile at Amazon and B&N.

IST still has them at $57.99 but you can bet stock is running low. If you have not got your copy yet now is the time.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I agree with all of this chatter - my Omnibus pickups have slowed to a crawl and they're exclusively either, "I already love this run and want it in a single book" or "I'm afraid Marvel will never print this again."

First category: Hickman FF, Young Avengers, UXM Omnis. Second category: Werewolf by Night. Nothing else, unless it's obscenely on sale (like the Michelinie Iron Man was last month).

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I think digital doesn't hold a candle to actual books. I find that I savor the pages a lot more when it's an actual book, with digital I usually just read the words and then skip ahead, so I'm not enjoting the book as much as I could. But that's just me.
    I love digital all things. I'll take them when they are DRM free and priced at an appropriately lower point to their physical counterpoints. I held out that long on MP3s and will do so on comics.

When I've purchased CBR or PDF comics digital I have no problem enjoying them (although not as much as a physical book), but I cannot deal with Marvel's format.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Not quite a white whale as it isn't super rare but I managed to pick up a book I've been after for a while: Avengers Assemble OHC Volume 5 and for a decent price. I got it in the Forbidden Planet store in London for £27, it was on sale for £30 but it was slightly damaged so I got a 10% discount.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Thanks all for the responses on the Spider-Man relaunch stuff. The art looked great (even some Erik Larson in Book 3) but apparently it was trash. So I'll pass haha

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Thanks all for the responses on the Spider-Man relaunch stuff. The art looked great (even some Erik Larson in Book 3) but apparently it was trash. So I'll pass haha
    I'd still recommend tracking down the Jenkins issues (if you're a floppy buyer); they're quite good. And I'm not the biggest Spider-Man fan to begin with.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'd still recommend tracking down the Jenkins issues (if you're a floppy buyer); they're quite good. And I'm not the biggest Spider-Man fan to begin with.
    Yeah, I agree. His run a little while to get rolling, but it was overall a pretty great one. He's an underrated writer. I loved his first Sentinel mini series, his Inhumans, and his Hellblazer stuff. On a side note, I met him at a small comic convention in Atlanta (back when Sentinel # 1 was being pushed as a "lost" series) and he seemed like a heck of a guy. Very friendly and quite funny.

Yeah the ASM at that time was garbage, but Jenkins stuff over in "Peter Parker" was outstanding.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Yeah the ASM at that time was garbage, but Jenkins stuff over in "Peter Parker" was outstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yeah, I agree. His run a little while to get rolling, but it was overall a pretty great one. He's an underrated writer. I loved his first Sentinel mini series, his Inhumans, and his Hellblazer stuff. On a side note, I met him at a small comic convention in Atlanta (back when Sentinel # 1 was being pushed as a "lost" series) and he seemed like a heck of a guy. Very friendly and quite funny.
    Yeah I have bits and pieces of his PP:SM run, that's why I was disappointed to see that collection of "Next Chapter" ended right before his run. I also HIGHLY recommend his Spectacular Spider-Man run as a follow up to PP:SM. I think his run is SEVERELY overlooked.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    I love digital. I buy a lot on comixology and read a lot on marvel unlimited.
    I'd buy more on Comixology if they didn't actively screw over Canadians. When I can get the physical comic for less than a digital version, you know something's wrong with the pricing. (We can't pay in our local currency, only US dollars, which is bad for us now)

Speaking of digital - I have a question. I have Marvel Unlimited and have been reading away at older material but am interested in seeing where the Marvel universe is these days. For the first time in a while it all looks pretty foreign to me.

What are the best current titles I should check out?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I'm both surprised and excited to see that Werewolf by Night Omni is, as of now-Monday 10/19, holding the #1 spot on IST's ranking two weeks after release.
    I wonder if this is unique to IST or if other outlets are seeing a similar hold.

I'll be curious to see what the sales rank is for the book. If it's as good as I hope then that bodes well for more niche material. Maybe a Zombie, Simon Garth Omni, Darkhawk or Deathlok Omni!!!
    It's obviously sold well if it's at their top spot right now, but it's not entirely accurate. The SHIELD Omnibus Steranko Variant was #1 but then it sold out. When it sells out, IST removes it from the list, thereby bumping something else up into that spot. I also don't think IST updates that top seller list more than once a week, but I could be wrong. So it's showing the top sellers from a couple of weeks ago, and probably tomorrow it'll be updated and possibly have new books or different books. Though this past week was kind of weak in terms of deals IST was offering. I can't imagine Batman Year 100 Deluxe, the Cooke book, MMW Defenders, Secret Identities or Best of Archie knocking off some of those current top 10 books. Maybe the Batman Year 100 Deluxe, if any.

I can't wait for the Hawkeye Omnibus to claim that top spot in about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Speaking of digital - I have a question. I have Marvel Unlimited and have been reading away at older material but am interested in seeing where the Marvel universe is these days. For the first time in a while it all looks pretty foreign to me.

What are the best current titles I should check out?
    Quality wise I'd suggest the Hickman Fantastic Four / FF and Avengers run, but for "what is going on" I think that books like Uncanny Avengers and All New X-Men are the central books. But to be fair I've not read either of them. Just keep away from Original Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Yeah I have bits and pieces of his PP:SM run, that's why I was disappointed to see that collection of "Next Chapter" ended right before his run. I also HIGHLY recommend his Spectacular Spider-Man run as a follow up to PP:SM. I think his run is SEVERELY overlooked.
    The problem there is, the Spidey: Next Chapter TPBs v1-3 only reprint thru ASM & PP:SpM v2 #s 19. Jenkins came on board with PP:SpM v2 #20. Most of his PP:SpM run can be found scattered across various Peter Parker: Spider-Man TPs released from 2001-2003 but not all. For some reason Marvel only decided to make the Next Chapter issues a three volume set. Had they gone ahead and done 4 or 5 volumes (assuming inclusion of the Revenge of the GG mini) there would be an unbroken collected run up to the JMS trades. As it stands now there's an uncollected gap from ASM/PP #s20 and ASM #29 that's only been partially filled.

And I agree Jenkins' stuff in PP:SpM was leagues ahead of what Mackie was doing over on the ASM book.