Anyone have a link where I can view the covers to upcoming releases? Need to place my DCBS order and they aren't showing the covers to the Marvel omnis.

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    ... the panels are no bigger than Masterworks editions.
    Yes, they are.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    Omnis are essentially cheap quantity over quality publications. I don't get how they became seen to be this premium format- its strange to me to see people bang on about oversized when the panels are no bigger than Masterworks editions. Most are unwieldy and not fun to read, they are easily damaged because of the weight as well. I think some of the second hand market prices in the past have pushed people to think its a premium format, but I'm only really getting new ones when there is no paperback edition or I don't really know if I'm going to like the material. I'm even preferring Epics for a lot of the runs I like.
    QFT, especially the bold parts!

It took me 10+ yrs and thousands of dollars to get on the same page.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    QFT, especially the bold parts!

It took me 10+ yrs and thousands of dollars to get on the same page.

Personally, I'm offended by the sheer blasphemy being spewed from you heathens.

I cherish my omniboo the way I cherish every waking moment with the true love of my life, as well as the day my son was born.....That said I do prefer absolutes over omnis. Also, Dark Horse seems to make much better quality omnibus collections than DC & Marvel. Better quality paper, better binding, etc....Plus, they have those cool library editions of the original Hellboy comic. The fact Dark Horse is able to create books like that at reasonable prices shows DC & Marvel are going the cheap route for extra cash, but what can you do?

I'll still buy omnis, as omnibus collections & absolutes are my preferred method of collecting. I only buy TPBs or deluxe hardcovers when omnis & absolutes aren't available options.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-22-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Oh hell yeah. But even moreso, you must get the Gillen Darth Vader reprint too. I'm not even a big SW fan but damn did I like that (along with the Dr. Aphra omni).
    Ok ok, now you're going too far

(but ok I'll probably get the Darth Vader omni too since you talked me into it...)

Edit: Is the Soule Vader not so great? Or just not on the level of Gillen?
    Last edited by j0nnyboy; 09-21-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post

(but ok I'll probably get the Darth Vader omni too since you talked me into it...)

He thought he didn't need to mention that one since it's .... logical

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post

Gillen's a better writer than Soule (In my opinion), but Soule's Vader run is far more fun. It has a few bad spots (Especially the final arc), but the entire premise of Vader hunting down jedi who weren't around during the purge just draws you in.

That said, although I enjoyed it and recommend it to any Star Wars fan, it's not as good as it should have been. For example, the conclusion to Vader's fight with Kirak Infil'a was downright weak. Kirak had all this build-up, then he's more than impressive while he fights Vader, but then the end of the fight had such a weakly written conclusion that it almost boggles the mind.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Gillen's a better writer than Soule (In my opinion), but Soule's Vader run is far more fun. It has a few bad spots (Especially the final arc), but the entire premise of Vader hunting down jedi who weren't around during the purge just draws you in.

That said, although I enjoyed it and recommend it to any Star Wars fan, it's not as good as it should have been. For example, the conclusion to Vader's fight with Kirak Infil'a was downright weak. Kirak had all this build-up, then he's more than impressive while he fights Vader, but then the end of the fight had such a weakly written conclusion that it almost boggles the mind.
    That's interesting regarding the conclusion.. Soule's Daredevil run is one of my favourite Daredevil runs bar the final arc. It was such a great read and then the conclusion - I've talked about this before and I won't go into details as some of you may be picking up the Soule Daredevil Omnibus and have not yet read it so I don't want to put any spoilers out. I still would recommend it as I personally enjoyed it a lot. A slow burn for the first few issues and then hard to put down.

So does Soule have a problem at times with closing off his runs? I kind of felt his Inhumans was interesting but kind of seemed to go nowhere. I do know that he had one more story to tell with Daredevil but didn't get the chance which was a shame as I would have craved to read more. Btw, his She-Hulk run was a lot of fun.

Incredible Member

re: Soule's Vader... I remember thinking it was above average. The glimpse that we got into his inner psyche was pretty interesting. For me, Gillen's run still outshines it though. I'd say, buy the Gillen reprint, then if you like that, get the Soule run. They're also both self-contained arcs, whereas Aaron's SW continues on past the first omni.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Personally, I'm offended by the sheer blasphemy being spewed from you heathens.

I cherish my omniboo the way I cherish the every waking moment with the true love of my life, as well as the day my son was born.....That said I do prefer absolutes over omnis. Also, Dark Horse seems to make much better quality omnibus collections than DC & Marvel. Better quality paper, better binding, etc....Plus, they have those cool library editions of the original Hellboy comic. The fact Dark Horse is able to create books like that at reasonable prices shows DC & Marvel are going the cheap route for extra cash, but what can you do?

I'll still buy omnis, as omnibus collections & absolutes are my preferred method of collecting. I only buy TPBs or deluxe hardcovers when omnis & absolutes aren't available options.
    The bolded is where I'm at.

re: Hellboy LE... I'm doing a reread of Hellboy via the four paperback omnis, but I've owned the library hardcovers before. Those are excellent builds. I like Image's OHCs too, like Deadly Class, Saga, Paper Girls, East of West.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    That's interesting regarding the conclusion.. Soule's Daredevil run is one of my favourite Daredevil runs bar the final arc. It was such a great read and then the conclusion - I've talked about this before and I won't go into details as some of you may be picking up the Soule Daredevil Omnibus and have not yet read it so I don't want to put any spoilers out. I still would recommend it as I personally enjoyed it a lot. A slow burn for the first few issues and then hard to put down.

So does Soule have a problem at times with closing off his runs? I kind of felt his Inhumans was interesting but kind of seemed to go nowhere. I do know that he had one more story to tell with Daredevil but didn't get the chance which was a shame as I would have craved to read more. Btw, his She-Hulk run was a lot of fun.
    As far as modern Daredevil goes, Soule's run is second only to Waid's for me. And while I wanted to love his She-Hulk, it was really brought down by the art I think; I don't know why Marvel thinks Shulkie only deserves highly stylized cartoonish art.

Overall, I think Soule's DC work (Swamp Thing!) is better than his Marvel stuff, despite the disparity in quantity.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

As far as modern Daredevil goes, Soule's run is second only to Waid's for me. And while I wanted to love his She-Hulk, it was really brought down by the art I think; I don't know why Marvel thinks Shulkie only deserves highly stylized cartoonish art.

Overall, I think Soule's DC work (Swamp Thing!) is better than his Marvel stuff, despite the disparity in quantity.
    Waid's run was very good but I felt it went downhill with the San Francisco run bar the excellent Original Sin two-parter tie-in. With regards to Shulkie, I think that they like to give cartoony art to runs that have that offbeat humour. I would have also preferred alternative art also.

Soule's Swamp Thing was pretty good.

The bolded is where I'm at.

re: Hellboy LE... I'm doing a reread of Hellboy via the four paperback omnis, but I've owned the library hardcovers before. Those are excellent builds. I like Image's OHCs too, like Deadly Class, Saga, Paper Girls, East of West.

Yeah, I haven't had any omnis fall apart nor anything like that, and I have a few old ones. I'm thinking some of the people in this thread who mentioned such catastrophes probably have so many omnis that the chances are higher for it to happen to them than it is to happen to me. But, who knows....I will say I don't do anything special like using cardboard nor anything like that for preservation. I've put my omnis in long/short boxes, on bookshelves, and in plastic bins. The plastic bin option I use for having them in my storage unit, where a lot of them are at the moment.

I also loan many of them out to a former co-worker who's trustworthy. I'll let him borrow $1,000-$2,000 worth of omnis/absolutes for 4-5 months and he eventually gives them all back intact.

I don't think we'll ever see complaints about thin paperstock nor poor binding with the Dark Horse/Hellboy line....My Hellboy collection is actually pretty recent. I basically spent around $500 the past couple months buying all the Hellboy library editions, "Plague of Frogs" TPBs, Hell on Earth collections (a mix of TPB & HC), The Devil You Know omni, 1946-1948 TPB, 1952-1954 HC, Hellboy Universe Secret Histories HC, and Beast of Vargu TPB. And I plan on getting the Lobster Johnson omnis when they come out, as well as whatever TPB the Mignola + Adam Hughes one-shot, "The Seven Wives Club", gets released under. I pretty much consider all these the essential books for the entire Hellboy mythos.

I'm not finished reading, but I honestly don't think the entire line matches up with the hype. I'm thinking a lot of diehard Hellboy fans are likely really into the occult/monster aspect of the series, and probably just really like the main character.....Again, I haven't finished reading them all yet, but the only storylines I consider real good, so far, are Conqueror Worm, Darkness Calls, and The Storm and the Fury, while 1946-1948 also isn't bad. The rest of what I've read so far is kind of average to mediocre, especially "Plague of Frogs" (I legit do not understand why a lot of Hellboy fans really like that storyline, I had to force myself to read it). I haven't gotten to "Hell on Earth" nor "The Devil You know" yet. It might just be that I can't get too into a lot of Arcudi's writing. I noticed I liked Dysart's work in 1946-1948 far more than Arcudi's.

I'll also add that I did quite enjoy both one-shots Adam Hughes did with Mignola.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-22-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

re: Soule's Vader... I remember thinking it was above average. The glimpse that we got into his inner psyche was pretty interesting. For me, Gillen's run still outshines it though. I'd say, buy the Gillen reprint, then if you like that, get the Soule run. They're also both self-contained arcs, whereas Aaron's SW continues on past the first omni.
    Thanks for your recommendations! Much appreciated.

I'm reading descriptions of Aaron's SW omnibus that says "Now Aaron's entire saga is collected in full!"

Yes Swamp Thing! Is Soule not working on comics anymore? His name was everywhere at one point. Poor guy probably got burnt out. I enjoyed the world he was building with Inhumans but it seemingly was going nowhere. As someone mentioned earlier. And then Ewing did that short stint in Royals, but the art was... Not good.

Complete side question, was is the status of the Inhumans? I know the whole XvI thing happened and then they just kind of faded away with Death of Inhumans, right? But Black Bolt is back in the new Dark hold?