Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Yeah, I can't get my head around these specific date Omnibuses. Reading them must be extremely jarring as each issue included doesn't have anything to do with the preceding or following comic. I suppose they are for very specific collectors who appreciate that time period. I really can't imagine them selling many copies.

IINM, this will be the 6th printing of the ASM Vol. 1 Omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I totally felt like @SJNeal was just having a bit of fun. I didn't take a serious "negative nancy" vibe from his comment. All is good.
    We were both joking around

I like collecting omnibus volumes, absolutes, etc.....But I don't take it THAT seriously, lol. If someone actually despised omnibus collections with every fiber of their being and couldn't stop talking about it, I'd probably find it comical.

DC: Why no, you can’t have large chunks of major runs collected of some of our most prolific characters. Not in any format. There’s simply no way.

Marvel: Hey, you think fans would want an incompressible collection of books in no way related except for the month they were published 60 years ago? Oh, just the diehards who enjoy that kind of super niche stuff? Tell you what, let’s make TWO of them.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    DC: Why no, you can’t have large chunks of major runs collected of some of our most prolific characters. Not in any format. There’s simply no way.

Marvel: Hey, you think fans would want an incompressible collection of books in no way related except for the month they were published 60 years ago? Oh, just the diehards who enjoy that kind of super niche stuff? Tell you what, let’s make TWO of them.
    With DC, it's the inconsistency for me. You'd be hard pressed to find any one run of any character that is completed in a single format. They've gotten marginally better in recent years, but overall there are so many orphaned and incomplete collection lines out there, it's shameful.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

DC desperately need to publish their version of the Marvel Epic Collections, why they haven’t done this yet just sums up how badly their collected edition department is run these days.

The problem is the contracts making it cost too much money for most of the stuff that would sell well. Jenette Kahn bumbled into a situation that keeps fans sad and creators broke. I know Batman in the 50's Omnibus line will sell enough to keep going but it don't sell that much. They have worked out new deals with specific creators to get Batman, and a few Superman books out but it's not worth the effort with smaller titles.

Like everyone else they reprint all the new stuff, no matter how bad it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Charliemouse View Post
    DC desperately need to publish their version of the Marvel Epic Collections, why they haven’t done this yet just sums up how badly their collected edition department is run these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The problem is the contracts making it cost too much money for most of the stuff that would sell well. Jenette Kahn bumbled into a situation that keeps fans sad and creators broke. I know Batman in the 50's Omnibus line will sell enough to keep going but it don't sell that much. They have worked out new deals with specific creators to get Batman, and a few Superman books out but it's not worth the effort with smaller titles.

Like everyone else they reprint all the new stuff, no matter how bad it is...
    The fat Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman Golden Age trades are the closest thing we have to Epic Collections from DC, even if they're just chopped up omnibi. If their strategy is to keep releasing the omni's in order and then chop them up and reprint into smaller trades, that's fine with me I guess; just sucks that it'll be years before we get to the Bronze Age material I really want.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The Bronze Age is the problem because of the contracts. It's why we have GA and SA reprints, but the creator stuff will skip any issue they didn't do. They have to renegotiate with everyone who's work is getting reprinted or pay too much money to turn a profit.

DC stopped making the trades that break up the omnibus years ago as far as I can tell unless you are Batman, Superman, maybe Wonder Woman I guess she got one in 2019. It's really too bad for stuff like Legion of Superheroes that puts all the random titles together in order.

On the other side of the street, Marvel's Epic line is gonna be painful to my wallet Just picked up Hulk Crisis on Counter Earth, and need to get the Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, and probably the X-Factor trade in December. Marvel Masterworks Ghost Rider 3, Iron Man 14, Fantastic Four 23 through December Marvel two In One 6, Defenders 8, and Dazzler 3 going into early 2022... It's insane, and I'd like to thank DC for making sure I can afford all my upcoming Marvel books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    On the other side of the street, Marvel's Epic line is gonna be painful to my wallet Just picked up Hulk Crisis on Counter Earth, and need to get the Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, X-Men, Avengers, and probably the X-Factor trade in December. Marvel Masterworks Ghost Rider 3, Iron Man 14, Fantastic Four 23 through December Marvel two In One 6, Defenders 8, and Dazzler 3 going into early 2022... It's insane, and I'd like to thank DC for making sure I can afford all my upcoming Marvel books.
    Do you use Instocktrades? Or pre-order via DCBS? I'm picking up most of those same books you listed, and without their discount my wish list would be about half of that...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

When I buy Physical it's InStockTrades, If digital I wait for a sale.

Astonishing Member

New omnibus coming out in summer 2022

An interesting new Epic line "announced" by amazon.de:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/130294...63876&sr=8-163

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

New omnibus coming out in summer 2022
    Black Panther: The Early Years Omnibus Vol. 1 - collecting Fantastic Four (1961) #52-53, 56 & 119 & material from #54, Tales of Suspense (1959) #97-99, Captain America (1968) #100, Avengers (1963) #52, 62, 73-74, 77-79, 87, 112 & 126, Daredevil (1964) #52, 69 & Annual #4, Astonishing Tales (1970) #6-7 and Jungle Action (1972) #6-24.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Black Panther: The Early Years Omnibus Vol. 1 - collecting Fantastic Four (1961) #52-53, 56 & 119 & material from #54, Tales of Suspense (1959) #97-99, Captain America (1968) #100, Avengers (1963) #52, 62, 73-74, 77-79, 87, 112 & 126, Daredevil (1964) #52, 69 & Annual #4, Astonishing Tales (1970) #6-7 and Jungle Action (1972) #6-24.
    Definitely getting this but c'mon Marvel you gotta know it's the Priest run BP fans want in omni format.