Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post

Another omnibus coming in November.
    Savage Avengers Omnibus
    I figured this would not hit till next year. I sold all my single issues and will debate getting this.
    I liked it but can't say I LOVED it and am debating the relaunch volume two.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    That WOLVERINE EPIC COLLECTION: TOOTH AND CLAW TPB cover is one ugly cover, geez!
    And there's some ugly content under that cover to match!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

This is the last reprint announcement before this year's reprint poll. Almost all of last year's top 20 have been or will be reprinted by the end of 2022.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Secret Wars (original)

Incredible Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Secret Wars (original)
    The last printing of this was 100 dollars, for 12 + 4 issues. That's pretty crazy. Are those 4 tie in issues necessary, or would I be just fine with getting the paperback version that leaves out those 4 issues?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    The last printing of this was 100 dollars, for 12 + 4 issues. That's pretty crazy. Are those 4 tie in issues necessary, or would I be just fine with getting the paperback version that leaves out those 4 issues?
    This review says the 4 issues are "superfluous" (unnecessary) to the 12 (but compliments one Dan Slott story, written 20 years after Secret Wars, anyway).

http://www.studioremarkable.com/revi...s-review/3459/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-03-2022 at 12:28 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by joltman View Post
    Unfortunately not. AFAIK, the only issue that's ever been collected is Slingers 0, which was included in Marvel Firsts: The 1990s omni and Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider (2017) TPB 2
    And I had the chance to buy the whole run for 25 Euros....lol.

Astonishing Member

Spectacular Member

Got to give it to him, he could big up and get excited for a tin of white paint.

Secret Wars was a pretty cynical marketing ploy to sell toys. Although Shooter was always a promising writer before he became editor-in-chief, Secret Wars is a mess of a story that barely hangs together. Even more surprised to see the supposed importance of the story being pinnted on introducing the symbiote costume which was already introduced in other comics (Secret Wars came out quite a while after the comics that that were supposed to have be taking place at the same time).

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    Secret Wars was a pretty cynical marketing ploy to sell toys. Although Shooter was always a promising writer before he became editor-in-chief, Secret Wars is a mess of a story that barely hangs together.
    I think the indisputable "cynical marketing ploy" thing is almost belabored at this point. I'm most amazed at how well it "hangs together" (barely or not, one's mileage on that point may vary) despite its dubious, even shameful, origins. It's fun, with some great and epic moments/interactions, even if it's dumb/flawed fun.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by madave View Post
    Got to give it to him, he could big up and get excited for a tin of white paint.

Secret Wars was a pretty cynical marketing ploy to sell toys. Although Shooter was always a promising writer before he became editor-in-chief, Secret Wars is a mess of a story that barely hangs together. Even more surprised to see the supposed importance of the story being pinnted on introducing the symbiote costume which was already introduced in other comics (Secret Wars came out quite a while after the comics that that were supposed to have be taking place at the same time).
    The only times I've seen Omar less than fully enthused is for stuff like the August 1961 or more obscure titles like Classics Illustrated or Knights of Pendragon. He gets most excited for his personal favorites (PAD, Claremont X-Men, New Warriors).

Secret Wars was a total marketing ploy, but the series was enjoyed by the readers at the time. Even the material that was hated when it came out (The Crossing, Clone Saga) is fondly remembered through nostalgia.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    This review says the 4 issues are "superfluous" (unnecessary) to the 12 (but compliments one Dan Slott story, written 20 years after Secret Wars, anyway).

http://www.studioremarkable.com/revi...s-review/3459/
    I see. Thanks.

I was hoping when they finally reprinted Secret Wars they would add Secret Wars 2 at the very least

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    I was hoping when they finally reprinted Secret Wars they would add Secret Wars 2 at the very least
    Hopefully the reprint of 1 sells well enough that we get a reprint of 2. Would love to have that one as well.

Astonishing Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gwenpool Omnibus. Collects the 2016 series, the West Coast Avengers 2018 series and various specials and guest appearances.

Astonishing Member

Another omnibus from the 2021 Top 50 Poll.