Page 153 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 531031431491501511521531541551561571632032536531153 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 20773

Thanks for posting up the solicits, Kalitarix!

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    You're arguing against the tide of printed books. Most books across the whole literary spectrum don't indicate what printing it is on the outside anywhere. You usually only see additional information on the outside when the book is a new edition that has something the previous printing didn't have - a new foreword, a new chapter, revised contents in textbooks, etc.

Yes of course this comics stuff is believed to be collectible to a degree, especially since single issue comic books often have some way of differentiating between first print and later printings (like a different cover), but you seem to be getting worked up like this is the 1990s bubble all over again. Then again Marvel is putting out the Deadpool minibus reprint with a new cover I believe, so maybe they are listening to your cries.

Sure that First Printing of some Omnibus might have thicker paper AND sewn binding and be technically superior in build quality to the modern re-printings. And sure, there's definitely a subset of collectors that care about that. But for the thousands of other people buying Omnibuses? 95% of them don't give a shit. Just like with the variant dust jackets/covers. Some people care, the vast majority do not. That small subset that cares will know what to look for when they're trying to acquire a certain printing, and you're just not going to convince the rest of the masses that what you have is somehow more valuable than what IST is selling for 50% off or whatever. The monetary value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay for it, scarce, rare or otherwise.

Could Marvel do something to indicate a first printing on the dust jacket? Sure. But that's not magically going to make your book much more valuable than the "first printing" already printed on the inside indicia. You probably just have to accept that these Omnibus editions aren't AS collectible as you thought or you would like them to be.
    No, most books across the whole literary spectrum get a new cover when they get a new print. That's how they revitalise interest and draw people back in, while equally appealing to long term fans and encourage them to buy again.

Look at Harry Potter books, reprinted many many times, different covers across the board. Many indicating which printing and celebrating that fact. Same as how with floppies, when a comic goes back for a second etc. printing they celebrate that fact.

It isnt about value, there is a difference between value and collectability. I want to collect first prints, it makes it easier to buy first prints and know for certain you are getting a first print when there is something to indicates it is a first print, especially with the newer reprints that wont have the paper/binding difference. The inside marker can't help when dealing with a sealed book after all either. You say that almost nobody cares, if that is the case, why not do it? 95% of people will just be happy to own the book, while the 5% left may be inclined to double dip, either because they are big enough fans or because the collecting spirit has them gripped enough they need the new or changed cover.

I understand that Marvel may not be on the same page, and that certainly the collectability of some of these books may not be what I would like them to be (which is odd considering they are owned by Disney, and Disney certainly understand the idea of collectability with their DVD/Blu vault), but that wont stop me being annoyed by it, nor will it stop me hoping for it and asking for it any time I can.
    Last edited by legion_quest; 02-16-2016 at 05:25 PM.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

The Smith var is #3 on the top sellers list on IST. I was unaware they updated the list so quickly, or is that just an insanely hot seller?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    The Smith var is #3 on the top sellers list on IST. I was unaware they updated the list so quickly, or is that just an insanely hot seller?
    People have been waiting for volume 3 for a long time, and with the variant being the cover that'll match the standard cover for the previous 2, I suspect many people are grabbing that one for uniformity - even though it's a really dull cover in general, and even more so when compared to BIG BROOD HEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    What is the Bendis Crime omnibus?
    Never mind, someone posted it. WTH did Marvel start charging a Bendis tax? Seriously $125. Don't get me wrong, those are good stories, but I'll pick that one up in a year and a half when it's in the $30 bargain bin lot.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    People have been waiting for volume 3 for a long time, and with the variant being the cover that'll match the standard cover for the previous 2, I suspect many people are grabbing that one for uniformity - even though it's a really dull cover in general, and even more so when compared to BIG BROOD HEAD!
    Hmmm. I respectfully disagree. I thought the Opena cover was seriously ugly. I generally don't care about covers. I go with the cheapest (I proudly own the Romita Iron Man cover to the Michilinie run!). This time, though, I went with Smith.

Incredible Member

Ist already jumped the price on DM UXM by $10. Having to wait to get off work cost me.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

I thought the DM cover for volume 2 was also the classic variant....

Hmmm. I respectfully disagree. I thought the Opena cover was seriously ugly. I generally don't care about covers. I go with the cheapest (I proudly own the Romita Iron Man cover to the Michilinie run!). This time, though, I went with Smith.
    It's just boring. Sad people and dead looking Xavier. Meh. 157 would have been a better cover, as would 165 (Storm transforming), 166 or 170. Special shout out to 164 for the awesome Binary cover too. 167 is so dull compared to all those.

But then the Cyclops/Jean cover on volume 2 wasn't especially exciting either. I'd have gone with 135, 138 or even the classic 139 (in which case 171 could have been a good cover for vol3). 145 is also a great cover, though probably too Doom focused for an X-book.

It's just boring. Sad people and dead looking Xavier. Meh. 157 would have been a better cover, as would 165 (Storm transforming), 166 or 170. Special shout out to 164 for the awesome Binary cover too. 167 is so dull compared to all those.

But then the Cyclops/Jean cover on volume 2 wasn't especially exciting either. I'd have gone with 135, 138 or even the classic 139 (in which case 171 could have been a good cover for vol3). 145 is also a great cover, though probably too Doom focused for an X-book.
    No no you're right it's a little boring. Way better choices but I just thought Opena's was super ugly.

No, most books across the whole literary spectrum get a new cover when they get a new print. That's how they revitalise interest and draw people back in, while equally appealing to long term fans and encourage them to buy again.

Look at Harry Potter books, reprinted many many times, different covers across the board. Many indicating which printing and celebrating that fact. Same as how with floppies, when a comic goes back for a second etc. printing they celebrate that fact.
    I think you're confusing first editions with first printings. Subsequent editions usually get different designs, but each edition goes through multiple printings that are only noted on the inside. That's where the term "first/first" comes from in book collecting circles, because it's the first print of the first edition that is the collectible one. The first print in general has the descending numbers 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1, while the second print has 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2, and so on. Often times they are jumbled around for various reasons, but the logic is the same.

Incredible Member

It isnt about value, there is a difference between value and collectability. I want to collect first prints, it makes it easier to buy first prints and know for certain you are getting a first print when there is something to indicates it is a first print, especially with the newer reprints that wont have the paper/binding difference. The inside marker can't help when dealing with a sealed book after all either. You say that almost nobody cares, if that is the case, why not do it? 95% of people will just be happy to own the book, while the 5% left may be inclined to double dip, either because they are big enough fans or because the collecting spirit has them gripped enough they need the new or changed cover.

I understand that Marvel may not be on the same page, and that certainly the collectability of some of these books may not be what I would like them to be (which is odd considering they are owned by Disney, and Disney certainly understand the idea of collectability with their DVD/Blu vault), but that wont stop me being annoyed by it, nor will it stop me hoping for it and asking for it any time I can.
    Plenty of books go through multiple printings and don't change a thing other than that one line in the indicia. It's absolutely unbelievable to say otherwise. And even in situations where they do get a new cover or edition, they still play with semantics. You could probably pick up a "first printing" of "Pride and Prejudice" from some publisher right now, only it's probably going to be classified as "twenty-millionth edition" following that "first printing" in the indicia. I'm talking about books going through multiple printings like many of these Omnibus editions because the book is selling well enough and needs to meet demand. This usually occurs in a relatively short time span. Just look at our niche example of the Simonson Thor Omnibus that went through multiple printings before it even released. Only that happens with non-comic-books too.

Are there situations where books outside of this comics realm get new covers or whatever? Yes, but that usually happens after the book has already been out for a long period of time or there's some new incentive to change it up like a movie release, etc. With Omnibuses, we're talking about a certain printing line that is barely 10 years old. Under "regular" circumstances, if the first print is selling out and the paperback/mass market paperback isn't scheduled to come out for a while yet, they're just going to run the book back through the printer as it was save for that one line in the indicia. Maybe they'll slap a removable NYT Best Seller! sticker on it or something. Most publishers aren't going to waste the time and money to make up a new dust jacket or cover to intentionally differentiate the outside of it from the first prints unless it's been years since the book has been in print in that format or unless something radical happens short-term, like the book winning a major award (and even then that's just another sticker slapped onto the book). The publishers at that point are just trying to meet demand. We're not in a situation where these books are "Pride and Prejudice" where there's going to be a different cover for every publisher's different "classics" line it's printed in. We're talking about reprints in a relatively short period of time to meet demand.

"If almost nobody cares, then why not do it?" BECAUSE NOBODY (except a select few) CARES! Why go out of the way and do that little extra bit of work to please someone like you when you are a rarity, caring so much about first prints of these tomes that are technically just reprints. You're talking about a company that can't be assed to fixed typos in these reprints of reprints of reprints. They're never going to cater to this incredibly small minority of first print omnibus hunters who need reassurance on their dust jackets that they're getting a first print.

I realize it's harder to check for first prints if you must have these books sealed in plastic but that's just the nature of the beast that provides a mild inconvenience for a vast vast vast minority like yourself. I would think most Omnibuses have enough hints as to what printing they are, whether it's due to the handful of cases of different cover art, faux-leather vs. printed covers, the change of the MARVEL OMNIBUS spine logo, price changes, the actual thickness of the book, the glued or sewn binding difference, etc. The number of later printings that are indistinguishable from the first printing have got to be pretty small at this point. Of all the possible issues and problems and changes and adjustments that could or should be made to the Omnibus line, some visual note on the dust jacket about first prints has got to be at the absolute bottom of the list.

If you enjoy being annoyed and complaining about something that's never going to be fixed in a way that satisfies you, great, I guess, but maybe your efforts would better be directed at writing Marvel some sternly worded emails or just learning to live with this "problem." Or you could just try to find sellers that guarantee you that they're selling you a first print and if you tear off the plastic and it's not, you get a refund.
    Last edited by kodave; 02-16-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Plenty of books go through multiple printings and don't change a thing other than that one line in the indicia. It's absolutely unbelievable to say otherwise. And even in situations where they do get a new cover or edition, they still play with semantics. You could probably pick up a "first printing" of "Pride and Prejudice" from some publisher right now, only it's probably going to be classified as "twenty-millionth edition" following that "first printing" in the indicia. I'm talking about books going through multiple printings like many of these Omnibus editions because the book is selling well enough and needs to meet demand. This usually occurs in a relatively short time span. Just look at our niche example of the Simonson Thor Omnibus that went through multiple printings before it even released. Only that happens with non-comic-books too.

Are there situations where books outside of this comics realm get new covers or whatever? Yes, but that usually happens after the book has already been out for a long period of time or there's some new incentive to change it up like a movie release, etc. With Omnibuses, we're talking about a certain printing line that is barely 10 years old. Under "regular" circumstances, if the first print is selling out and the paperback/mass market paperback isn't scheduled to come out for a while yet, they're just going to run the book back through the printer as it was save for that one line in the indicia. Maybe they'll slap a removable NYT Best Seller! sticker on it or something. Most publishers aren't going to waste the time and money to make up a new dust jacket or cover to intentionally differentiate the outside of it from the first prints unless it's been years since the book has been in print in that format or unless something radical happens short-term, like the book winning a major award (and even then that's just another sticker slapped onto the book). The publishers at that point are just trying to meet demand. We're not in a situation where these books are "Pride and Prejudice" where there's going to be a different cover for every publisher's different "classics" line it's printed in. We're talking about reprints in a relatively short period of time to meet demand.

"If almost nobody cares, then why not do it?" BECAUSE NOBODY (except a select few) CARES! Why go out of the way and do that little extra bit of work to please someone like you when you are a rarity, caring so much about first prints of these tomes that are technically just reprints. You're talking about a company that can't be assed to fixed typos in these reprints of reprints of reprints. They're never going to cater to this incredibly small minority of first print omnibus hunters who need reassurance on their dust jackets that they're getting a first print.

I realize it's harder to check for first prints if you must have these books sealed in plastic but that's just the nature of the beast that provides a mild inconvenience for a vast vast vast minority like yourself. I would think most Omnibuses have enough hints as to what printing they are, whether it's due to the handful of cases of different cover art, faux-leather vs. printed covers, the change of the MARVEL OMNIBUS spine logo, price changes, the actual thickness of the book, the glued or sewn binding difference, etc. The number of later printings that are indistinguishable from the first printing have got to be pretty small at this point. Of all the possible issues and problems and changes and adjustments that could or should be made to the Omnibus line, some visual note on the dust jacket about first prints has got to be at the absolute bottom of the list.

If you enjoy being annoyed and complaining about something that's never going to be fixed in a way that satisfies you, great, I guess, but maybe your efforts would better be directed at writing Marvel some sternly worded emails or just learning to live with this "problem." Or you could just try to find sellers that guarantee you that they're selling you a first print and if you tear off the plastic and it's not, you get a refund.
    Agreed. Out of all the millions of books out there the only books I can even think of that have gotten diffrent covers is Lord of the rings and harry potter. I'm sure theres more out there but I be surprised if it was more than .0001% of all the books ever published.

No no you're right it's a little boring. Way better choices but I just thought Opena's was super ugly.
    Idk I like openas so I went with that. The way I see it is the Variant cover will be inside the book so If i want to look at it I can just go to that issue. That Way an extra piece of art on the dj.

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Idk I like openas so I went with that. The way I see it is the Variant cover will be inside the book so If i want to look at it I can just go to that issue. That Way an extra piece of art on the dj.
    In all likelihood both covers will be reproduced in the back o the book s either way you get to admire both.
    Last edited by mike1981; 02-16-2016 at 08:51 PM.