Page 18 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228681185181018 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    It's better. Not much but there's a definite difference.
    Thank you!

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Build quality is the standard from back in the day. Thick paper with faux leather wrap around. I'm pretty sure it's a glued binding - nearly every OHC was back then. Solid and due to the smaller size the glued binding doesn't really hinder reading.

For AXM. If it's the omnibus then it's a solid old school omnibus. Sewn - opens up completely with the thicker paper and the smooth faux leather wrap around.
    Cool. I'll be hunting them down, then.
    Cyclops was right

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJ87 View Post
    I like the build better than current OHCs. Plus, I think the Best of Spider-Man volumes are the only oversized JRJR Spidey, so that's a plus in my book. Story-wise, the title is rather deceiving, though. I would've liked them as "Amazing Spider-Man", dropping the PP:SM issues (even when those were significantly better), simply because it is the main title. When it comes to Astonishing, I'd take the two OHCs over the Omnibus, but that's just me.

From the January solicits, I'll probably get the Spidey Epic and the DD by Waid vol. 5 (when does vol. 4 come out? I fear the spines won't match the first three since it's now being labelled "by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee"...). Has Captain America: White been good so far?
    Sounds like I'll be getting all of the above. Now to look for deals. Let the hunt begin!
    Cyclops was right

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I read the new Star Wars TPBs earlier this week. Surprisingly (for me, anyway), I found Aaron's to be a pitch-perfect continuation of A New Hope and Gillen's Darth Vader to be a bit of a mess with common tropes and author insertions that felt distinctively un-Vader-like.

The art in both was strong, but Cassaday wins the day for me with uncannily perfect likenesses and easy-to-follow action. Larroca draws a stunning Vader, but there were too many occasions of squinting to try to figure out what he was doing from panel to panel. I'd definitely consider picking up Star Wars in OHC.

Both are standard-build TPBs, nothing different or special about them at all.
    Last edited by krisis; 10-22-2015 at 11:55 AM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I'd definitely consider picking up Star Wars in OHC.

Both are standard-build TPBs, nothing different or special about them at all.
    THis is pretty much a guaranteed double-dip for me. I bet we'll see the first ones around the time the volume 3 trades are solicited.

I think the main title is a double dipfor sure. Lando was quite good but, if they put it with Princess Leia I'm out that book was terrible. It'll have to be a case by case basis for me. Anyone try Chewbacca? First issue was surprisingly good for a main lead that doesn't talk.

Spectacular Member Gerald Keefer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I think the main title is a double dipfor sure. Lando was quite good but, if they put it with Princess Leia I'm out that book was terrible. It'll have to be a case by case basis for me. Anyone try Chewbacca? First issue was surprisingly good for a main lead that doesn't talk.
    Agreed. I am all about star wars now with the movie so close and loved all the books except Princess Leia. It was god awful and I love her! Its a shame her mini was the weakest of the books and Vader...those 2 droids introduced are my new favorite characters by far! I just crack up reading their parts.

Chewie first ish WAS good! I'm not buying any hcs of these yet. I'm sure there will be an omnibus down the line once the stories complete the course to ESB.
    Last edited by Gerald Keefer; 10-22-2015 at 09:04 PM.

As far as Star Wars titles, I have been reading Star Wars and Darth Vader monthly. I really like Vader. It seems to capture that dramatic, methodical thinking from Empire where he was deadly and mysterious. I like Star Wars as well but I feel like there's a lot of moments that could be more special that are wasted. It seems to move so fast and already Luke has scrapped, albeit briefly, with Fett and Vader. It's almost - to me anyway - like it's taking something away from the movies. We'll see. I'd certainly recommend both titles.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE HC

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY BY ABNETT & LANNING OMNIBUS HC
    Finally! I'm all over these.
    Incidentally I just received Realm of Kings and Nova OHCs from MCS (apparently I'm stupid because I forgot the Nova OHC was included in the Conquest omni....)

I see people mentioning Deadly Genesis. Is it good/important for cosmic marvel? Is it OHC?
    Last edited by Drakul; 10-22-2015 at 10:31 PM.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    Finally! I'm all over these.
    Incidentally I just received Realm of Kings and Nova OHCs from MCS (apparently I'm stupid because I forgot the Nova OHC was included in the Conquest omni....)

I see people mentioning Deadly Genesis. Is it good/important for cosmic marvel? Is it OHC?
    Deady Genesis is a PHC and a fairly good story.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    It tells the origin of Vulcan, who goes on as antagonist in Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire and War of Kings.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Deady Genesis is a PHC and a fairly good story.
    They also tucked it into the xmen giant size 40th anniversary ohc. Which in my opinion would be the only reason to buy that book.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Can someone sell me on the Werewolf By Night omnibus? I'm sitting on the fence right now but can be easily swayed. The only reason I'm considering it is because I love the classics but not sure if Werewolf by Night is something I would be interested in. I started reading comics in the mid 90s so I don't have the nostalgia factor. I've been gobbling up all the classic omnibuses pre 90s and been loving it.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Amazing Member

Been to MCM Comic Con in London today, anyone from here go? it's more pop culture and anime but I enjoy going every year, all I purchased was the Captain Britain HC'S at £15 for the pair.

Quote Originally Posted by arsenalherd View Post
    Been to MCM Comic Con in London today, anyone from here go? it's more pop culture and anime but I enjoy going every year, all I purchased was the Captain Britain HC'S at £15 for the pair.
    Nah, stopped going to the one in Birmingham as they started to move away from comics and now all they seem to have are old footballers and funko pops