Page 229 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1291792192252262272282292302312322332392793297291229 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 20773
    Spectacular Member MatchstickJohnny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Welcome to the OHC Club. You'll have very serious problems leaving it

OHC is my preferred format. I only purchase TPBs when a run which I want isn't available in OHC/Omnibus or MMW HC.
    I am most pleased to be welcomed here. OSH. I am truly honored.
    Last edited by MatchstickJohnny; 03-23-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Yeah this has nothing to do with inflation in any meaningful way and is all about making more money.

That's fine because that's what Marvel is - a for profit company selling luxury entertainment items essentially.

I've said it a million times but it's all about the balance that brings them the most money. If they raise the price of Omnibuses, people might buy fewer of them but if they make more money off of those fewer people, then it's a win in their book. That's how the whole industry is running these days, and maybe that's not such a good thing. But that's where it is at.

Marvel is constantly pushing consumers boundaries - thinner paper that is surely cheaper for them to use. Printed covers instead of faux-leather covers. Eliminating dust jackets all together on regular sized books. Increasing the price of books across the board. People who collect comics have shown they'll keep shelling out money despite these things. Marvel and the industry at large haven't hit a breaking point yet. People have to vote with their wallets but so far no one is really doing that as long as the material inside the Omnibus is desirable. And there's the whole other side to this that maybe 90% of the people who buy these things that aren't on these forums or the MMW forums don't notice or don't care about the lesser quality and higher prices. So there's even less incentive for Marvel to put out a higher quality product.
    Totally agree with this. When the Infinity OHC came out I said that people who have been collecting these editions for a while are complaing about the covers and thin paper but what about those people who are just starting their collections of OHC's and Omni's? They have no idea of the older, better built books since almost all are OOP. They obviously like the format and will continue to purchase them. Also I think most collectors first introduction to these books are through bookstores and comic shops and are purchasing them for cover price! When they find out about online stores like IST and CGN they wont buy less, they will buy more since they can get them for aroung 50% off and get twice as much for the same price they've been paying. So lets just blame the poorer quality and increased prices on the newbies! Obviously just kidding.

Spectacular Member

Is it safe to say the flagship Marvel books will be collected in OHC? Weird that new series like Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Deadpool, are collected in HC, but not the All New, All Different Avengers, X-Men, Inhumans...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFnatic View Post
    Is it safe to say the flagship Marvel books will be collected in OHC? Weird that new series like Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Deadpool, are collected in HC, but not the All New, All Different Avengers, X-Men, Inhumans...
    I'm really torn on whether to start collecting the ANAD stuff in TPBs or wait and see if any OHCs come out. I'd like to be relatively up to date with reading current Marvel stuff but I also don't want tohave better versions come out right after I buy trades.

Spectacular Member

Is the ordering of the issues between the two Hawkeye OHCs and the Omni that different? I was planning on buying the Omni just because it'd be nice to have the whole run in one book but now it looks like they are going to be keeping the numbering with the new series' first OHC being Vol. 3.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtron View Post
    Is the ordering of the issues between the two Hawkeye OHCs and the Omni that different? I was planning on buying the Omni just because it'd be nice to have the whole run in one book but now it looks like they are going to be keeping the numbering with the new series' first OHC being Vol. 3.
    Exact same content, for about half the price.
    Cyclops was right

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    He's a bit to talky for my liking, but it has shown me how he really doesn't fit to well in the Marvel universe

as a side note, i take it Grant Ward isn't a out of a comic?
    Are the TV shows and movies officially linked in the same universe? I remember whedon saying something like shield was not part of it or something weird, but then the winter soldier affected the show big time. There were some issues between whedon and marvel and it got a little messy ad grey. Anyone know?
    Last edited by RIPLynott; 03-20-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIPLynott View Post
    Are the TV shows and movies officially linked in the same universe? I remember whedon saying something like shield was not part of it or something weird, but then the winter soldier affected the show big time. There were some issues between whedon and marvel and it got a little messy ad gray. Anyone know?
    They are definitely in the same universe. They don't have much major interaction, mainly due to scheduling and different production teams, but they are indeed in the same universe. Winter Soldier/Agents of Shield has been the biggest connection so far but Colson also was responsible for the helicarrier in Age of Ultron.

Are the TV shows and movies officially linked in the same universe? I remember whedon saying something like shield was not part of it or something weird, but then the winter soldier affected the show big time. There were some issues between whedon and marvel and it got a little messy ad gray. Anyone know?
    A couple of minor characters (and Nick Fury show up if I remember correctly) in AOS, and the Chitari invasion of New York is mentioned in the first season of Daredevil

Are the TV shows and movies officially linked in the same universe? I remember whedon saying something like shield was not part of it or something weird, but then the winter soldier affected the show big time. There were some issues between whedon and marvel and it got a little messy ad grey. Anyone know?
    Whedon can say what he wants if Marvel wants to link them they will. They resurrected Coulson despite Whedon's protest.
    AoS is much more tied into the MCU, DD, Jessica Jones and the other upcoming street level shows are their own corner. But who knows maybe someone will pop up in Civil War from DD or JJ.
    But even if they weren't linked, JJ and DD are just SO DAMN GOOD!
    Couldn't care less about AoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    A couple of minor characters (and Nick Fury show up if I remember correctly) in AOS, and the Chitari invasion of New York is mentioned in the first season of Daredevil
    Siff also showed up on AoS.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFnatic View Post
    That is not safe to say.

For example, Iron Man and Captain America have not (so far) hit OHC in Marvel Now, but Deadpool, Hawkeye, Young Avengers, and Superior Foes of Spider-Man have. Generally it seems that Marvel has a higher standard to reach OHC for books that are HC > TPB first (the prior two were; the latter four weren't), which is maybe why Bendis clears the bar so often. I truly think the OHCs are mostly linked to sell-through, critical reception, and creator visible more than certain characters or stories.

It looks like in ANAD a lot more books are going to TPB first, which has proven to be a better recipe for us getting OHCs down the line.

I'm really torn on whether to start collecting the ANAD stuff in TPBs or wait and see if any OHCs come out. I'd like to be relatively up to date with reading current Marvel stuff but I also don't want tohave better versions come out right after I buy trades.
    Considering that even at 50% off the TPBs are in the $15 range, it's a fair bet at this point to just skip the four likeliest OHC-getting TPBs and use that same money to subscribe to Marvel Unlimited for $70 a year and wait out the OHCs. Except, very occasionally a first-release TPB sells out and gets pricey before the HC gets here.

I'd love to know that, too. The trades broke up the Clint/Kate stuff into two books. Does the OHC/Omni maintain the original release order, or gang the character stories together?
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    While many of you are binge-watching The Punisher joining the ranks of the Marvel Cinematic Universe this weekend in Daredevil (I have two episodes left!), you can also catch up on his history in the Marvel Universe with my newest collecting guide: The Definitive Punisher Collecting Guide and Reading Order.

I reviewed the entire Punisher Official Index to the Marvel Universe, plus Comic Book DB and tons of online chronologies, and I am quite certain this guide captures 99% of Punisher's appearances in chronological reading order - with links to collected editions, of course!

To spoil the collecting story a bit, Punisher's original trio of ongoing series are severely undercollected - with just two dedicated TPBs between the pair of them until this Fall with the Potts/Lee TPB. Then, Punisher falls into the uncollected zone from 1995-2000 before Welcome Back Frank. Directly after that, there's a single-arc gap in collections, and from there on out everything is collected except a spare one-shot and 2012's Trial of the Punisher.
    Have you ever thought about differentiating between regular staple bound single issues and "prestige format" books? For example, you have "Punisher: The Ghosts of Innocents #1-2: Not collected" - and that's technically correct because those two issues haven't been collected into one trade, but the issues themselves are bound in the prestige format (cardstock covers, glued binding) which are comparable in size to many of the 90s OGNs you have listed. I think they even have their own ISBNs but I'd have to double check my copies later on to confirm that.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Have you ever thought about differentiating between regular staple bound single issues and "prestige format" books? For example, you have "Punisher: The Ghosts of Innocents #1-2: Not collected" - and that's technically correct because those two issues haven't been collected into one trade, but the issues themselves are bound in the prestige format (cardstock covers, glued binding) which are comparable in size to many of the 90s OGNs you have listed. I think they even have their own ISBNs but I'd have to double check my copies later on to confirm that.
    Yes, I'd call out anything with its own ISBN as different than a true single issue for exactly that reason. I don't usually thing to check IBSNs for things that aren't one-shots, but there are certainly some two-part bookshelf format series.

Part of the issue is that I simply have a bit of a blindspot from coming from X-Men collecting, which (Wolverine aside) only ever had the God Loves, the New Mutants debut, and Dazzler in a bookshelf format - as opposed to characters like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Punisher, who got those early OGNs all the time.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Yes, I'd call out anything with its own ISBN as different than a true single issue for exactly that reason. I don't usually thing to check IBSNs for things that aren't one-shots, but there are certainly some two-part bookshelf format series.

Part of the issue is that I simply have a bit of a blindspot from coming from X-Men collecting, which (Wolverine aside) only ever had the God Loves, the New Mutants debut, and Dazzler in a bookshelf format - as opposed to characters like Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Punisher, who got those early OGNs all the time.
    I don't know how far down the rabbit hole you intend your guides to go, but for your out of continuity section there's also The Punisher Meets Archie / Archie Meets The Punisher (same issue, just different title/cover depending on who published it I believe) as well as the prestige format Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire and Punisher/Batman: Deadly Knights.