Page 261 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1612112512572582592602612622632642652713113617611261 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,915 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

As the discussion already went on to the All New Whatever Marvel Universe. I have literally no idea where they will pick up all the X Books after Secret Wars. Uncanny X-Men ended oddly with the explanation by the Summer brothers. Then we have a time period which was not covered at all except some panels in the Avengers series (Nation X and Phoenix channanigans?!).

So could someone shed some light on this? It is just: yeah whatever we are now 8 months in the future and there are some more versions of characters around and we do not know what the status quo really is? Oh a Sentinel ... or a reborn Apocalypse ... well thats more important.

As Krisis pointed out: I have a hard time to think about getting all these trades of the new X series (not even regular HCs), but I know myself and I will be too weak in the end.

I also finally broke down this morning and ordered almost all X-family Tie Ins to Secret Wars but I assume they will not really help with the question of what is happening with the 616 characters as they are almost entirely what if versions of big crossovers or beloved events, right?

How are the opinions of these tie in series? Any hidden gems or cold coffee in newly designed cups?

And looking at Magneto: I also ordered the Red Skull trade but it is the 616 Magneto who leads the team?

And my last one for today: has anyone read the Hulk Tie In Series in which Ruby Summers should have an appearance (character from Davids X-Factor run). Does she play a major part in the storyline?
    Last edited by poolovision; 04-06-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    OMNIBUS!!!!!

What's the last good comic collection you've read?
    Hola Krisis,

Been on an early 80's binge with going through Fantastic Four by John Byrne and Iron Man by Michelinie, Layton & Romita Jr omnibuses. Need to hit Uncanny X-Men volume 3 as those issues were my prime collecting days.

Can't get over how much I really like Romita Jr's art in Iron Man back then compared to today.

Have to say I have been shifting more to the digital end of things as they look gorgeous on the Ipad Pro. I will still get some omnibuses if they are the right collection I am looking for (New Mutants, Alpha Flight etc…)

Sample shot of my Ipad Pro next to my Ipad Air 2. Now that is oversized :-)

ipad pro.jpg
    Last edited by Omnibus; 04-06-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Fantastic Member Mix_Masta_Micah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Hola Krisis,

Been on an early 80's binge with going through Fantastic Four by John Byrne and Iron Man by Michelinie, Layton & Romita Jr omnibuses. Need to hit Uncanny X-Men volume 3 as those issues were my prime collecting days.

Can't get over how much I really like Romita Jr's art in Iron Man back then compared to today.

Have to say I have been shifting more to the digital end of things as they look gorgeous on the Ipad Pro. I will still get some omnibuses if they are the right collection I am looking for (New Mutants, Alpha Flight etc…)

Sample shot of my Ipad Pro next to my Ipad Air 2. Now that is oversized :-)

ipad pro.jpg
    My only problem with digital is the price point. If there was a discounted version of current collections I'd be all over it. If there is, educate me!

Omnibus has kindly updated the OOP list, available on the first page.

Many thanks to Omnibus, again.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix_Masta_Micah View Post
    My only problem with digital is the price point. If there was a discounted version of current collections I'd be all over it. If there is, educate me!
    Since all digital is basically a "rental", I'd steer you towards Marvel Unlimited where they are up front about you having access so long as you're paid up. "Buying" digital comics is for suckers if you think you'll be guaranteed access to those files 10 or 15 years from now.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Check out this awesome visual aid shared previously in this thread:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1015254788

Great way to see at a glance which Epics are not available as MMWs!
    That chart is seriously helpful, thanks a bunch! Now to decide if I can wait a few years for the Thor mmw to catch up...

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Every Daredevil fan should read that run IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I haven't read it either but every time this question comes up (which is like every other tuesday) there are some people who swear this is the 2nd best thing after Miller/Bendis and right after there are some folks who swear this is the biggest pile of garbage after Ultimatum.
    It's pretty much the biggest pile of garbage ever in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Hola Krisis,

As for me, I'm finally digging into my Busiek/Perez omnibuses, which are really great so far. I'm about 1/3rd of the way into vol 1.
    Next up for me once those are done will be to plow through my Green Lantern by Johns omnibuses, since by that time I'll have the soon-to-be-released vol 3 in my hands.
    After that, who knows. I still need to get through my FF by Byrne omnis as well, perhaps I'll do a round robin and read multiple at a time. I typically don't do that, but perhaps reading nothing but Avengers or FF for a long stretch would be too much. I dunno.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    The Punisher Last Days storyline was kind of a mixed bag. To me it made no sense at all that Frank would go on a mission abroad for the guys he just fought against for weeks. It would have been really better to include more of the "Frank comes to the meeting of Supvervillains and does his thing" aspect which can be seen in the Secret Wars storyline early on.
    He wasn't really on a mission with the Commandos. He was basically solo out there by the end of it all, even if they recruited him. And if you'll recall, he was able to work things out with the Commandos, so it's not that nonsensical. It was just Frank killing enemy combatants knowing he had nothing else to live for. It was taking him full circle back to his days as a soldier, rather than keeping him as a vigilante.

Having said that, it was jarring and abrupt considering the way the last normal issue ended before Secret Wars took everything over. Even going back to NYC to kill all the supervillains didn't really make sense given the context of Edmondson's run prior to that point. But I guess that's what happens when an event takes over the entire universe and editors tell you you're done.

Spectacular Member dark phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Since all digital is basically a "rental", I'd steer you towards Marvel Unlimited where they are up front about you having access so long as you're paid up. "Buying" digital comics is for suckers if you think you'll be guaranteed access to those files 10 or 15 years from now.
    Agreed, if you are going to go Digital, Marvel Unlimited is the way to go. It means waiting a few months for new stuff but the wait is worth the cost savings
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!"

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    It's pretty much the biggest pile of garbage ever in comics.
    Can you say why without really spoiling anything?

If something I'm interested in has good reviews with some average and one or two terrible reviews I'll buy it but whenever something is really divisive and is always spoken of at each end of the spectrum it makes me much more cautious to buy something. I went through the same thing with the Fall From Grace Epic, I like McDaniels art and it had either good reviews or terrible ones, nothing in between and I still haven't ordered it.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Here's a hot tip about Marvel Unlimited for those of you of the eBay persuasion: If you get the premium Unlimited membership for $99 a year it comes with a free Marvel Legends figure - currently Rescue. She sells for $70-90 + Shipping on eBay almost once a day. Buy the premium subscrpition, sell the figure - instant $19 Unlimited Marvel.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    He wasn't really on a mission with the Commandos. He was basically solo out there by the end of it all, even if they recruited him. And if you'll recall, he was able to work things out with the Commandos, so it's not that nonsensical. It was just Frank killing enemy combatants knowing he had nothing else to live for. It was taking him full circle back to his days as a soldier, rather than keeping him as a vigilante.

Having said that, it was jarring and abrupt considering the way the last normal issue ended before Secret Wars took everything over. Even going back to NYC to kill all the supervillains didn't really make sense given the context of Edmondson's run prior to that point. But I guess that's what happens when an event takes over the entire universe and editors tell you you're done.
    I really enjoyed Edmondson's run but that part was really out of the blue. The meeting in general was kind of silly. I just don't see that happening. It was kind of cool what Frank did to them, but it was abrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    Can you say why without really spoiling anything?

If something I'm interested in has good reviews with some average and one or two terrible reviews I'll buy it but whenever something is really divisive and is always spoken of at each end of the spectrum it makes me much more cautious to buy something. I went through the same thing with the Fall From Grace Epic, I like McDaniels art and it had either good reviews or terrible ones, nothing in between and I still haven't ordered it.
    I'm only commenting on the story - not art.

So . . . as for Nocenti's run:
    Poor dialogue and bad storytelling. Nocenti just can't write. She still can't.
    The love triangle with DD, Kingpin, and Typhoid Mary was silly and forced. Then there was a battle with DD and Mephisto. Seriously???? You're going to have DD fight the devil??? that Bullet character was pretty lame, too. A contrive "woe is me I've got to get my kid back" story line that was both unoriginal and predictable.
    Heck even Typhoid Mary - the one semi-redeeming quality of that run - wasn't that great until Bendis reinvented her.
    I suspect the love people feel for Nocenti's run is nostalgia and they haven't revisited it since the first time they read it. Maybe not. I don't want to speak for others, but I thought it was crap.
    By the way, the stuff that came later - the Fall From Grace, etc - that was crap, too.
    In fact, pretty much everything until the series was rebooted in the late 1990s, early 2000s under the Marvel Knights label was bad.

I read a couple of her Green Arrow issues where people made out like she lost all her talent and skill but I guess I should take that as my only reference and leave it well alone ha ha. I'm going to grab Guardian Devil just to round out what's collected of volume 2. I remember not being overly impressed by it but I came round enough to get the Smith Green Arrow absolute so I'll give it another chance.

Spectacular Member

I was mostly underwhelmed with Nocenti's run on Daredevil as well, especially the Mephisto stuff. I liked the Typhoid Mary stuff for the most part. The stuff before and after the Mary stuff is pretty lame, IMO.

One exception, though, she did a Fall of the Mutants Tie-in, that's one of my favorite Daredevil stories ever.