Page 262 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1622122522582592602612622632642652662723123627621262 ... LastLast
Results 3,916 to 3,930 of 20773
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    He wasn't really on a mission with the Commandos. He was basically solo out there by the end of it all, even if they recruited him. And if you'll recall, he was able to work things out with the Commandos, so it's not that nonsensical. It was just Frank killing enemy combatants knowing he had nothing else to live for. It was taking him full circle back to his days as a soldier, rather than keeping him as a vigilante.

Having said that, it was jarring and abrupt considering the way the last normal issue ended before Secret Wars took everything over. Even going back to NYC to kill all the supervillains didn't really make sense given the context of Edmondson's run prior to that point. But I guess that's what happens when an event takes over the entire universe and editors tell you you're done.

Thanks for pointing this out. It was probably the exact sentiment you described that influenced my judgement: the run came to a conclusion which seemed suiting. A page later (in the tpb) Frank is back with the Commandos and goes on a rampage which seemed to ignore the "real" end of the run.

I also get your point about the Superviallains but remembering the Frank from the Punisher War Journal Mid 2000 books (Civil War, Secret Invasion) I could picture his motives vividly. The event context really took over I guess but in my mind only half-baked.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. It was probably the exact sentiment you described that influenced my judgement: the run came to a conclusion which seemed suiting. A page later (in the tpb) Frank is back with the Commandos and goes on a rampage which seemed to ignore the "real" end of the run.

I also get your point about the Superviallains but remembering the Frank from the Punisher War Journal Mid 2000 books (Civil War, Secret Invasion) I could picture his motives vividly. The event context really took over I guess but in my mind only half-baked.
    Wasn't the Punisher scene with the super villains first seen in Secret Wars #1 by Hickman? What Punisher did makes sense in terms of broad strokes Punisher motivation. It doesn't make sense in terms of where Edmondson had Punisher at that time. And I doubt Hickman was reading Edmondson's Punisher so he probably didn't know or care when he wrote that scene.

Again, I think it's a case where despite whatever Edmondson had planned, he was forced to go along with the several month time jump, Frank being in NYC instead of LA, and that particular scene all because Hickman decided that's what he wanted to show in one panel.

Edmondson probably could have extended the set up for that scene and made that the final two issues of Punisher or whatever. But it seems pretty clear that wasn't really his idea. So he brought Frank back around to the Commandos and told that more introspective story about what Frank was feeling his life amounted to as the universe was ending and all he could do was try to kill those who were killing soldiers.

I think without Secret Wars, Edmondson would have kept Frank in LA and we probably would have seen more with the Memento fall out. I don't even think Edmondson got to finish his original story because that ending with Memento and Punisher was pretty abrupt and then BAM, Secret Wars happens. I wasn't a huge fan of the Memento twist, but I guess Edmondson was trying to go another direction rather than create another Rachel.

In my head canon though I'm gonna pretend like Loot the Coyote is just fine and survived the stabbing and the Secret Wars.

Recent Marvel reading:

Aaron Punisher Max Omnibus. Enjoyed this one a lot more than I expected. A solid alternate reality final Punisher/Kingpin origin story. Aaron's Bullseye was psychotic on a scary level, and I wish he just created a new character with the personality because the name seemed to be the only thing in common with 616 Bullseye. Agree that it's a bit pricey for the size, but still a fun read if buying at a discount. Won't change your mind about Aaron's writing if you already know where you stand on it, but as someone who thought his Ghost Rider and Wolverine omnibuses were a lot of fun, this fits well with those.

Secret Wars. Really enjoyed it. Beautiful art. The whole "three weeks later" thing bugged me, because it felt like there were really interesting stories being skipped over. What makes this more frustrating is the abundance of tie-in mini-series that couldn't be bothered to fill in these gaps and instead told stories that were mostly pointless. Also, structurally, I felt like I was basically reading Fantastic Four's version of House Of M. Seemed like the same story being retold. Arch villain gains the power to reshape reality in his image where he rules all, small group of characters learn the truth, they have to take him down and set things right. And side mini-series that aren't needed to understand that main story are there to further expalin the new reality that readers are unfamiliar with. But those are nitpicks. Like I said, I really enjoyed it. But when it comes to Hickman's Marvel, his Fantastic Four run is easily the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Here's a hot tip about Marvel Unlimited for those of you of the eBay persuasion: If you get the premium Unlimited membership for $99 a year it comes with a free Marvel Legends figure - currently Rescue. She sells for $70-90 + Shipping on eBay almost once a day. Buy the premium subscrpition, sell the figure - instant $19 Unlimited Marvel.
    I did the same thing with the Golden Ultron figure from the first year it was launched. Didn't sell it for that much but it did pay for most of the subscription.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    Secret Wars. Really enjoyed it. Beautiful art. The whole "three weeks later" thing bugged me, because it felt like there were really interesting stories being skipped over. What makes this more frustrating is the abundance of tie-in mini-series that couldn't be bothered to fill in these gaps and instead told stories that were mostly pointless. Also, structurally, I felt like I was basically reading Fantastic Four's version of House Of M. Seemed like the same story being retold. Arch villain gains the power to reshape reality in his image where he rules all, small group of characters learn the truth, they have to take him down and set things right. And side mini-series that aren't needed to understand that main story are there to further expalin the new reality that readers are unfamiliar with. But those are nitpicks. Like I said, I really enjoyed it. But when it comes to Hickman's Marvel, his Fantastic Four run is easily the best of it.
    Both the 'Siege' and 'Thors' miniseries told parts of the Secret Wars story that were integral to these gaps, most notably the last issues of each. I don't know if that's been mentioned yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    Both the 'Siege' and 'Thors' miniseries told parts of the Secret Wars story that were integral to these gaps, most notably the last issues of each. I don't know if that's been mentioned yet.
    Would siege and thors be ok reading for someone whos never read arrons thor or any thor for that matter and never read siege?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Would siege and thors be ok reading for someone whos never read arrons thor or any thor for that matter and never read siege?
    Can't comment on the SW stuff I haven't done floppies in years. What I can say is: READ AARON'S THOR!!!
    Seriously it is such a good run. I can't wait for the Lady Thor OHC to continue what was started in the first 2.
    Last edited by Brewman; 04-06-2016 at 07:38 PM.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    I read a couple of her Green Arrow issues where people made out like she lost all her talent and skill but I guess I should take that as my only reference and leave it well alone ha ha. I'm going to grab Guardian Devil just to round out what's collected of volume 2. I remember not being overly impressed by it but I came round enough to get the Smith Green Arrow absolute so I'll give it another chance.
    I know I said DD didn't get good again until his Marvel Knights series but I re-read the Smith stuff a few years back and it hasn't stood the test of time like I expected. I guess it was his first foray into comics, so for a rookie it wasn't bad and certainly better than the previous decade of DD. But damn it was wordy - probably more so than Stan Lee! I did like the twist in there. Smith's Green Arrow was much much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Can't comment on the SW stuff I haven't done floppies in years. What I can say is: READ AARON'S THOR!!!
    Seriously it is such a good run. I can't wait for the Lady Thor OHC to continue what was started in the first 2.
    Allready plan on it!! You and many others have praised it on this board. I take it its a decent starting point for getting into thor. I plan on picking up vol 1 and 2 in a month or two.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Allready plan on it!! You and many others have praised it on this board. I take it its a decent starting point for getting into thor. I plan on picking up vol 1 and 2 in a month or two.
    I don't even like Thor that much and Godbutcher is one of my favorite comics ever. Totally flawless. (I personally loved the space sharks.)
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Since all digital is basically a "rental", I'd steer you towards Marvel Unlimited where they are up front about you having access so long as you're paid up. "Buying" digital comics is for suckers if you think you'll be guaranteed access to those files 10 or 15 years from now.
    Image comics sell drm free comics directly from their website and Comixology allow you to download some of their comics DRM free as simple cbr or pdf files but a lot still aren't available to download. Humble Bundle is another good option to actually buy digital copies you can download and keep but then there are limitations on what is made available.

Does anyone know if the first volume of Superior Spiderman is OOP or getting a reprint any time soon? I have had a "awaiting stock" purchase with Speedyhen for the last month or so and I'm considering cancelling it and buying it from Reed (at a higher price).

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Siege is one of the few SW tie-ins I read (I'll always take a chance on Gillen) and it requires no pre-knowledge. It might be helpful if you know who the following characters are, purely for contextual reasons: Agent Brand, Leah, Magik, Ms. America Chavez.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

I have a sneaky suspicion, especially with what Marvel's been doing with Ms Marvel, GotG, etc... lately, that the next Thor omnibus we'll see will be one of Aaron's run, where they just mash 2-3 of these OHCs together and call it good.
    I'll fully admit, back in the day, I would've been one of those who would sell my OHCs and get the omnibus, as they "look better" on my bookshelf, but as I get father along into this hobby, and perhaps due to me getting older and crankier, I actually PREFER OHCs. So for me, even if they do omnibus some of Aaron's Thor, or Hickman's Avengers stuff, etc... I'll be happy with my OHCs. The only downside is that they have taken an omnibus spot and used it on something that is already available in oversized format. I'm hoping for a Thor SA vol. 3, and a Vol 1 reprint, or maybe something later on in the Thor run, like DeFalco's run, or something else, maybe even Gillen's/Fraction's run after JMS', but I suspect we'll get Aaron's run instead, especially since they can then say, "Look, another female-centric book!"
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Since all digital is basically a "rental", I'd steer you towards Marvel Unlimited where they are up front about you having access so long as you're paid up. "Buying" digital comics is for suckers if you think you'll be guaranteed access to those files 10 or 15 years from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dark phoenix View Post
    Agreed, if you are going to go Digital, Marvel Unlimited is the way to go. It means waiting a few months for new stuff but the wait is worth the cost savings
    There are ways to mitigate cost using Comixology. I tend to only buy things that are older (back issues or after the 6-9 months for the Marvel books to drop in price) or during 99 cent sales (MANY Marvel and a bunch of Image books bought that way). The aforementioned Image DRM-free copies add value as well (some other companies, like Archie, IDW, and at least some Comixology Submit books do this too).

Marvel Unlimited is certainly the way to go when compared to buying books for $3.99 each. For 99 cents each, plus the fact that you can download them and keep them on your device, delete and re-download later, that's worth it to me. Plus, with Comixology owned by Amazon, I doubt it will go away any time soon.
    Last edited by Taral-DLOS; 04-07-2016 at 05:39 AM.