Page 289 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 1892392792852862872882892902912922932993393897891289 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    No one seems to have anything nice to say about this book existing or any of the material in it except for the 12-issue Gruenwald series that's in the previous omnibus. I guess if no one will advocate for it then I'll pass or pick it up in two years for $20. Thanks for weighing in.
    It's a reprint of a book that never really sold out, with additional material that no one really asked for, for an inflated price and sure-to-be-cheaper physical quality. Marvel occasionally tries to make Squadron Supreme a thing beyond one great story, it doesn't catch on, and the characters go away until the next failed effort. This is just the latest example of it.

Spectacular Member

Been trying to keep track of this thread while on vacation so sorry if I skipped any talk of this subject anyone else got any of the ANAD collections yet? I picked up Vol 1s of All-New, All-Different Avengers and Deadpool (which is called Deadpool: World's Greatest on the spine). They're keeping the designs very similar to the Marvel Now! collections... different fonts used on the front and back covers, and the backs are more colorful. Spines are almost identical to the old ones, just with black text for every series and in lieu of a small image at the bottom it now takes up around a third of the bottom of the spine. Won't look too drastically different when put with the previous series.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Yes, I have the original Squadron Supreme omni. I think I got it for even less than $20. Haven't read it yet because my backlog is so large, but I'd have upgraded to this new version first if you guys had said it would make for a better reading experience. But that doesn't seem to be the case, so I'm happy to skip on picking it up and just read the one I have already whenever I can get to it.

Seems I'm skipping a lot of Marvel's omnis this year. This, the John Byrne Marvel one (scattershot collections don't really appeal to me), and all of MOKF/DHOKF. But hey, we got UXM 3 and Cap 2, and there's some good stuff I'm looking forward to in the back half of the year, too.

Amazing Member Thor God Of Thunder's Avatar

Are you sure dude? i think the only 2 thor books coming are vol 1 and 2 of the All-New Jane run. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mighty-Thor...&keywords=thor and https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/07851952...I1Z28ILMBN25B9 looks like we will continue to follow Thor's origin story.

Incredible Member

Hey all, new omnibus collector here. I'm looking for a place to jump into Spider-Man omnibi. Would the Stern omnibus be an ok place to start?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    Hey all, new omnibus collector here. I'm looking for a place to jump into Spider-Man omnibi. Would the Stern omnibus be an ok place to start?
    The Spidey Stern Omnibus isn't a bad place to start and is a fantastic run. However, an even better place and one I would recommend would be the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibusses Vol. 1 and 2. They give you everything you need to know about Spidey, origin, first appearances et all and contain a ton of great stories. They are a bit wordy as they are Silver Age but definitely more readable than a lot of other Silver Age stuff and any true Spidey fan should have them.

What's the consensus on Slott's Amazing Spider-Man?

I just read through the 2 recent OHCs and really disliked them. Turning Black Cat into ruthless kingpin? Peter almost a supporting character in his own book? Ugh, the spider totem stuff revived and expanded on? All painfully bad stories.

I'd love to get a new writer on Amazing, or maybe a sister for something different.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    The trend has generally been Marvel filling out existing OHC lines from the beginning of Now (Thor, Guardians, Daredevil, ANXM, UXM, ASM) and also a few of the newer high profile series (Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl). There haven't been any new OHCs of older Now series, if that makes any sense. To see everything, check my Omnibus DB, filter it to "OHC only"

I'd link you to my Omnibus guide filtered for OHCs, but I'm still filling in some release dates for OHCs and it will be more useful to you once I'm through
    Thank you much!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor God Of Thunder View Post
    Are you sure dude? i think the only 2 thor books coming are vol 1 and 2 of the All-New Jane run. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mighty-Thor...&keywords=thor and https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/07851952...I1Z28ILMBN25B9 looks like we will continue to follow Thor's origin story.
    All the pre Secret Wars Lady Thor Stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Thor-Jason-Aar...&keywords=thor

Presumably Vol. 2 will be a combination of the new books you linked to.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post

I just read through the 2 recent OHCs and really disliked them. Turning Black Cat into ruthless kingpin? Peter almost a supporting character in his own book? Ugh, the spider totem stuff revived and expanded on? All painfully bad stories.

I'd love to get a new writer on Amazing, or maybe a sister for something different.
    I haven't read any of his ASM yet, aside from Spider-verse (which was great) but I've loved most everything I've read of Slott's spider man so far.

Did you enjoy his early SM and this took and his ASM took a dive or have you never really liked any of Slott's Spider-man?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I haven't read any of his ASM yet, aside from Spider-verse (which was great) but I've loved most everything I've read of Slott's spider man so far.

Did you enjoy his early SM and this took and his ASM took a dive or have you never really liked any of Slott's Spider-man?
    I read some of Brand New Day years ago as it was coming out, but honestly don't recall any of it. I read Superior in HC and liked it quite a bit.

I've been interested in checking out Big Time forward, but after reading this volume of ASM I might pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The Spidey Stern Omnibus isn't a bad place to start and is a fantastic run. However, an even better place and one I would recommend would be the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibusses Vol. 1 and 2. They give you everything you need to know about Spidey, origin, first appearances et all and contain a ton of great stories. They are a bit wordy as they are Silver Age but definitely more readable than a lot of other Silver Age stuff and any true Spidey fan should have them.
    I like the Stern stuff and that's what I'd recommend, although keep in mind that it doesn't really get rolling until he takes over Amazing. As far as Silver Age goes, yes that's where the origin starts, but man that's some wordy stuff. I'd personally skip it.

In fact, grab Busiek's Untold Tales omnibus which is more modern with a twist of SA writing.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I hate most of it. There are a few good bits scattered through, but for the most part Peter is an unlikeable manchild, the villain suck, and the supporting cast is just annoying. I haven't read Superior, though, so that might be good. I liked Dying Wish.
    Cyclops was right

It was either really great or meh in parts leading up to Superior, Superior was good fir a long time but fizzled at the end. Since he has been doing double duty on ASM and Silver Surfer, the ASM stuff has been poor to mediocre. This latest incarnation is so far away from Spider-Man it doesn't even feel like the same character.

I think he may have overstayed his time as writer of ASM, because is is doing a great job on Silver Surfer.

I actually think the latest run has been a better representation of Peter than before but it's just inside Iron Man's concept. The problem is that Tony Stark is the powerful, self made genius who deals with things like big business, sabotage and big threats and Peter is the worlds greatest underdog who always pushes through. Not a lot of good when you are the one everyone is supposed to be relying on. (Something Iron Man writers have forgotten since the Knaufs got bumped for Fraction full time.)