Page 301 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2012512912972982993003013023033043053113514018011301 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 20773

So I started UXM vol 1 today and am loving it so far. This is the oldest comic ive read so far and while the writing did take a bit getting used too, the art is freaking amazing!!! Just finished the part where(*spoiler* jean grey is in the hospital after turning the phoenix and then they run into juggernaunt at the castle***). Very fun so far, I bought 1-3 on a blind buy and was worried how I would like it and definitely happy I got them.

With that being said, ive held off on FF 1-3 because of people saying its wordy, but is it wordy in the same vein as in UXM? If so id pick them up in a heartbeat.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    So I started UXM vol 1 today and am loving it so far. This is the oldest comic ive read so far and while the writing did take a bit getting used too, the art is freaking amazing!!! Just finished the part where(*spoiler* jean grey is in the hospital after turning the phoenix and then they run into juggernaunt at the castle***). Very fun so far, I bought 1-3 on a blind buy and was worried how I would like it and definitely happy I got them.

With that being said, ive held off on FF 1-3 because of people saying its wordy, but is it wordy in the same vein as in UXM? If so id pick them up in a heartbeat.
    Cool that you like it. I finally broke down and decided to get the omnis becasue of how much I liked the first two essentials. Looking Vol 1 over, I doubt I'll regret it.
    Cyclops was right

Spectacular Member

Thanks for the recommendations on the online comic shop in UK guys.
    Here's a price comparison for DD Companion Omnibus + shipping to UK for those who have yet to buy it.
    IST: USD 55 + USD 20.94 shipping = USD 75.94
    Forbidden planet: USD 73 + USD 9 shipping (not sure) = USD 82
    Book depository: USD 108 (Out of Stock)
    Speedyhen: USD 58 (Out of Stock)
    Wordery: Can't seem to find the book
    Cheap-comics: USD 91 + USD 17 = USD 108
    Amazon UK: USD 108 + Free shipping = USD 77
    Including shipping, IST is still cheapest based on my search. Granted, shipping may take around 1 month compared to the others but I trust their packaging. I'm going to wait for a few weeks to see whether Speedyhen will restock. If not IST it is.

Spectacular Member

I think Stan Lee's FF 1-3 era may be more comparable to the X-Men 1-2 by Roy Thomas rather than UXM

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Page is cropped in Bizarre Adventures first print, but that is page 8 in the first print not 14. If that is page 14 of the reprint we found the mystery six pages, but what is on them in the reprint? Attachment 35676 unused page bonus content.
    Also if what else was added to the extras of the companion if it includes the marvel age cover as well as the extra 2008 cover then is there an extra side of a page or did they omit something to make room?
    The only pages preceding that cropped Bizarre Adventures page are the intro, table of contents and BA #28 cover w/splash page images. They can be viewed on Vark's blog here; http://myabsolutecollection.blogspot...ller-bill.html

Maybe it's just a case where they began counting the TOC pages (and preceding ones) for the total page count in the new printing?

BTW, that image of "Elektra Assassin unused page" which Brewman posted is actually art from a page of Stray Toasters by Sienkiewicz. I'm surprised that made it through editorial because that qualifies as a HUGE mistake. I recognized the screw image right away. Bill S must have submitted that mistakenly from files of his art that were auctioned.

As far as the DD Companion 2nd printing, my guess for the extra page is the Man without Fear #4 unused cover (color) by J.R.jr & Al Williamson. This is the full page image of Kingpin holding Mickey in his hands w/DD off to the right. The B&W pencil art from the inside back covers is included in all editions.

Thanks again to Vark and Brewman for clearing up these discrepancies. It's good to get solid info on the contents & differences between printings. I'm accustomed to this thread being loaded with complaints about page thickness & quality, so this is a tremendous help beyond that.
    Last edited by banky; 05-14-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Definitely takes slightly longer than UXM. Great run, but can be a bitch to get through.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by banky View Post
    The only pages preceding that cropped Bizarre Adventures page are the intro, table of contents and BA #28 cover w/splash page images. They can be viewed on Vark's blog here; http://myabsolutecollection.blogspot...ller-bill.html

Maybe it's just a case where they began counting the TOC pages (and preceding ones) for the total page count in the new printing?

BTW, that image of "Elektra Assassin unused page" which Brewman posted is actually art from a page of Stray Toasters by Sienkiewicz. I'm surprised that made it through editorial because that qualifies as a HUGE mistake. I recognized the screw image right away. Bill S must have submitted that mistakenly from files of his art that were auctioned.

As far as the DD Companion 2nd printing, my guess for the extra page is the Man without Fear #4 unused cover (color) by J.R.jr & Al Williamson. This is the full page image of Kingpin holding Mickey in his hands w/DD off to the right. The B&W pencil art from the inside back covers is included in all editions.

Thanks again to Vark and Brewman for clearing up these discrepancies. It's good to get solid info on the contents & differences between printings. I'm accustomed to this thread being loaded with complaints about page thickness & quality, so this is a tremendous help beyond that.
    I was always trying to figure out how the heck those panels would have fit into any part of the Elektra story! Yeah sounds like just a page number/count variance for that discrepancy. That unused cover is in the first print. Just went through my companion extras more closely and just noticed there is a blank red page between the end of the graphic novel addenda and the start of the man with out fear bonuses, so if they shifted everything forward by the dead spot that would account for the "extra" page. image.jpgStupid upside down picture!
    Last edited by Brewman; 05-14-2016 at 09:49 PM.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    What about it?
    You must've been under a rock lately lol, he means the upcoming War of Kings Omnibus

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/130290...mlL&ref=plSrch

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    I was always trying to figure out how the heck those panels would have fit into any part of the Elektra story! Yeah sounds like just a page number/count variance for that discrepancy. That unused cover is in the first print. Just went through my companion extras more closely and just noticed there is a blank red page between the end of the graphic novel addenda and the start of the man with out fear bonuses, so if they shifted everything forward by the dead spot that would account for the "extra" page. image.jpgStupid upside down picture!
    Thanks for the quick reply Brewman. That blank red page is exactly where the Marvel Age#127 cover is placed in the 2016 printing. So it looks like the only new material in the DD Companion reprint is the MPC HC image for the last page. Thanks again for the info on these 2 omnibuses- it's good to know what has been changed or added to the contents of these books.

I'd just like to add these are some of my all time favorite stories from Miller's Daredevil, so having them in the oversize format is fantastic. I think my favorite extras are the full page penciled layouts by Mazzucchelli. Vark's blog reviews provide some excellent comparisons to the reproduction work in the omnibuses vs the normal collected editions. The biggest error (in the main contents) we've spotted is that Elektra Bizarre Adv#28 cropped page. Especially frustrating, since the normal trim-sized Visionaries actually has the full page (reduced to fit but missing some detail in the 1st panel), whereas the Omni had the image reduced too much and cropped. Hopefully Marvel editors can correct this error in the next edition. The snarky collector in me thinks if it were brought up earlier (2008) it could have been fixed already. Thanks again!
    Last edited by banky; 05-15-2016 at 02:21 AM.

A Stray Toaster original art page printed by mistake in the first edition of a book is by itself something to hunt! (it is not included in the 2008 Image TPB reprint bonus section, and has a far better reproduction quality than the interior art of this TPB).
    And it raises the possibility of existing unused art page for Elektra Assassin.

The cropped page 14 is the most annoying though.

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    A Stray Toaster original art page printed by mistake in the first edition of a book is by itself something to hunt! (it is not included in the 2008 Image TPB reprint bonus section, and has a far better reproduction quality than the interior art of this TPB).
    And it raises the possibility of existing unused art page for Elektra Assassin.

The cropped page 14 is the most annoying though.
    Thanks for the mention on your blog! A full oversized page repro of unused Elektra Assassin art (if it exists) would be a real treasure for sure.

I agree the pg 14 error is annoying. Strange that the Visionaries page is missing detail in the lower shadows of the 1st panel. The lettering is much clearer in the Elektra Omnibus. The Bizarre Adventures title was a magazine sized marvel publication like their graphic novels, so reduction to fit the books was understandable. Text does not reduce or enlarge very well. The cropping was either a bad printing mistake or error in border overlays while setting the image.

I noticed the lower color saturation for the DD Love & War images as well. This may be a case where owning the original graphic novel is still the best quality reproduction for that work. I know Cory Sedelmeier did extensive restoration to the X-Men God Loves, Man Kills graphic novel for the UXM Omnibus and Masterworks. Sienkiewicz' multimedia work would probably be a logistical nightmare to restore/reproduce accurately.
    Last edited by banky; 05-15-2016 at 02:01 AM.

I noticed the lower color saturation for the DD Love & War images as well. This may be a case where owning the original graphic novel is still the best quality reproduction for that work. I know Cory Sedelmeier did extensive restoration to the X-Men God Loves, Man Kills graphic novel for the UXM Omnibus and Masterworks. Sienkiewicz' multimedia work would probably be a logistical nightmare to restore/reproduce accurately.
    I own the original Stray Toasters comics and indeed, The Image 2008 TPB reproduction is far from the quality of the original publication (very far). But I still hope for something of an Artist's Edition for fully painted Bill works, scanned from the original pages.
    Last edited by vark; 05-15-2016 at 02:27 AM.

I loved this part

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    You must've been under a rock lately lol, he means the upcoming War of Kings Omnibus

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/130290...mlL&ref=plSrch
    I guess I completely forgot about this.
    Do we know the content? And when it's coming out?
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations on the online comic shop in UK guys.
    Here's a price comparison for DD Companion Omnibus + shipping to UK for those who have yet to buy it.
    IST: USD 55 + USD 20.94 shipping = USD 75.94
    Forbidden planet: USD 73 + USD 9 shipping (not sure) = USD 82
    Book depository: USD 108 (Out of Stock)
    Speedyhen: USD 58 (Out of Stock)
    Wordery: Can't seem to find the book
    Cheap-comics: USD 91 + USD 17 = USD 108
    Amazon UK: USD 108 + Free shipping = USD 77
    Including shipping, IST is still cheapest based on my search. Granted, shipping may take around 1 month compared to the others but I trust their packaging. I'm going to wait for a few weeks to see whether Speedyhen will restock. If not IST it is.
    since the book just came out I would say you can safely order from speedyhen and they will reorder it for you. Lately they are a bit slow with Marvel books, I've waited a few weeks for a Spider-man tpb but it got dispatched.
    use the isbn number for searches and specifically the one without hyphens (in case of this book, this one: 9780785195382)
    it's currently unavailable on wordery.

glad you like it. I would highly recommend getting the (older) Squadron Supreme and the Michelinie Iron man omni as well (and the following Epics too). Great bronze age comics.