Page 316 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2162663063123133143153163173183193203263664168161316 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,740 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblegardener View Post
    They make them that big?
    JW's knock on my door with some pretty big ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnnykid View Post
    Use a laptop case
    I imagine that would be way too big

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    The best way to travel with them...is to buy digital (or trades). C'mon guys lol...you don't see people taking their Vinyl collection on the road. These are home books...luxury items...there's a time and a place.
    1. People do take Vinyl collections on the road Lol DJ's have been doing it for years and still do.

2. They arent that luxury. That may be their intent but they just arent. However, if someone can travel with a big ass Harry Potter book then you can travel with an omnibus. No one is tryna travel with all their Omnibus'. I was aking about traveling with one book. Dont forget. It's still a book.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    The largest bible covers I can find usually top out at less than 10" tall (usually 9 5/8"), so they won't work for OHC-sized Marvel books.

The biggest one I found had the dimensions 10.25"H x 8"W ("Armor of God Oxford Cloth Protective Bible Cover Case") - still probably an inch shy of working. The brand "Bella Taylor" has similarly-sized cases.

If you're willing to spend as much on a cover as on a book, it looks like the Leatherology "XL Bible Cover - Full Grain Leather" may fit an Omni if it has a bit of give, it says it fits bibles 10.75"H x 8.25"W x 2.25"D.

You might have better luck on Etsy, where someone making a custom cover could modify it to be perfect for Omnis.
    Thank you for this. I'll look into it.

Spectacular Member

Just submitted my top ten most wanted omnibus picks to Tigereyes via PM, but I wanted to mention one of them here, only because I compiled it myself and figured others might vote for it too.

SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN BY PETER DAVID (PPtSSM #103, 105-113, 115-119, 121-123, 128-129, SSM #134-136, Annuals 5-6)

There's a lot of Peter David love in this thread, but we hear mostly about his excellent Hulk and X-Factor work, due to the longevity he had with each title. His first writing work at Marvel was no less stellar, as the Sin-Eater stories within this proposed volume demonstrate. Though a more condensed MPC hardcover was published several years ago, I don't believe any book has yet attempted to capture his complete Spectacular Spider-Man run. If you like it, feel free to put it in your ballot picks too!

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I would say you could get away with it, but it wouldnt be as complete as it could be and some characters will vanish then pop up again later, or die, without the explanation you'd get elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    The question is really: "Do you want to read the complete Spider-Verse story or do you simply want to read Amazing Spider-Man?"

Frankly, missing out on the ins and outs of who got to where and fought whom in Spider-Verse doesn't really change all that much about your read of subsequent ASM issues. They linger on Spider-Verse for all of one or two panels. Yes, the ASM Spider-Verse issues will be less coherent without all the support, but you'll still get the spine of Peter's story.

That said, I'll add the following.

1. I really enjoyed Spider-Verse. Yes, even with all the flipping around in the OHC. It was just a great, well-executed story. One of the smartest Marvel Events in recent memory.

2. I've just read ASM #16-18 and they are a pretty insubstantial story - I think the stuff in the non-Slott Annual is better (esp. the Brandon Petersen illustration, holy moly) as is the Gerry Conway #16.1-20.1 story, so depending on your level of completionist affliction you could buy the Spider-Verse OHC and then just grab TPB Vol. 4 to finish reading the Slott-penned story.
    Thanks guys. I think I'll just have to get the book, then. At least IST is running the 45% off sale right now. Marvel really, really needs to do a better job at how they're collecting modern Spider-man in oversize, going all the way back to the JMS run. The mapping in many of the modern OHCs is just frustrating. For the first time ever I've opted to buy all the complete collection TPBs when there are oversized hardcovers available and it bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    Just submitted my top ten most wanted omnibus picks to Tigereyes via PM, but I wanted to mention one of them here, only because I compiled it myself and figured others might vote for it too.

SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN BY PETER DAVID (PPtSSM #103, 105-113, 115-119, 121-123, 128-129, SSM #134-136, Annuals 5-6)

There's a lot of Peter David love in this thread, but we hear mostly about his excellent Hulk and X-Factor work, due to the longevity he had with each title. His first writing work at Marvel was no less stellar, as the Sin-Eater stories within this proposed volume demonstrate. Though a more condensed MPC hardcover was published several years ago, I don't believe any book has yet attempted to capture his complete Spectacular Spider-Man run. If you like it, feel free to put it in your ballot picks too!
    I wouldn't vote for any collection that skips issues like that because of the headache it makes of fitting later (potential) collections of Spectacular Spider-man around it. You can include issues #103-136 straight through with plenty of room in an omnibus volume and it's a much more attractive collection, even though some of it wasn't written by Peter David. I'd venture to say most collectors would rather have books on their shelves that don't skip anything.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    I wouldn't vote for any collection that skips issues like that because of the headache it makes of fitting later (potential) collections of Spectacular Spider-man around it. You can include issues #103-136 straight through with plenty of room in an omnibus volume and it's a much more attractive collection, even though some of it wasn't written by Peter David. I'd venture to say most collectors would rather have books on their shelves that don't skip anything.
    Agreed. This is probably my only complaint about the Byrne FF. I know that it was most likely done because those 2 volumes are already monsters, but I would rather see these books collected as runs as if they entirety will one day be collected verse having a creator attached that results in skipping chunks of a title to fit a theme. Case in point the Avengers by Byrne should be WCA Vol 3.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Fantastic Member

5 days left to vote.

Over 200 different titles have been voted on. Its quite surprising that certain titles have ZERO votes.

Sir, throw in his ASM fill in issues from this era (ASM 260s-270s) and you've got a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigereyes View Post
    5 days left to vote.

Over 200 different titles have been voted on. Its quite surprising that certain titles have ZERO votes.
    Be sure to post what got no/few votes! Those are always interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    I see what you're talking about. I thought you were poking fun at the blasphemous 1999 Byrne run.

You're right: PAD came back to Incredible Hulk for a short 11 issue stint beginning March 2005 (#s77-87). His return to the title consisted of the Tempest Fugit 5-parter, a 4-part House of M tie-in and two pretty excellent stand alone issues. To be honest I didn't think about adding them to a hypothetical PAD Hulk Omnibus line but, sure, why not?! It would make sense to include them in the final volume.

I always thought it annoying that as soon as PAD came back, started strong, then got sacked with a 4 part alternate reality tie-in story. I read somewhere that he signed a 6 issue contract to return to the Hulk, wrote Tempest Fugit plus the first stand alone, then sales were strong so they extended it 5 more issues. He left again, stating that he could write Hulk stories forever, but wanted to do other things. Sure wish he'd come back again.

I agree. One of the most amazing runs ever in comics.

Did you read his Captain Marvel after he left Hulk? It was a good "sequel" in that in picked up Rick Jones' story line.

Oh yeah, I forgot about PPTSSM. Those were some great books, especially Sin-Easter. Talk about a shocker. Loved these stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    Agreed. This is probably my only complaint about the Byrne FF. I know that it was most likely done because those 2 volumes are already monsters, but I would rather see these books collected as runs as if they entirety will one day be collected verse having a creator attached that results in skipping chunks of a title to fit a theme. Case in point the Avengers by Byrne should be WCA Vol 3.
    Yeah. If we're lucky FF #219 & 222-231 will be in a single epic volume and that won't make the overlap so bad. The Byrne FF omnis at least aren't skipping an issue every few issues throughout the entirety of what it collects, which would make it a nightmare. The one that gets me most is that Daredevil #162 isn't in the Miller omnibus. I'm pretty sure that if Marvel were printing the book for the first time this year, it would be, as they seem to have recognized that completeness is what collectors want with omnibuses. On the one hand that Daredevil issue sounds like it's pretty bad and inconsequential, but on the other hand it's drawn by Ditko and I'll always know when I look at my bookshelf (assuming they ever actually get everything collected) that I have a hole in the run where it should be, haha. As for the Avengers by Byrne omnibus, I'm just going to treat it as WCA 3 and consider the ten issues of the main title a bonus.

That Marvel Universe by Byrne omnibus they released a few months ago didn't seem to sell at all, and I'd guess that's because it was such a scattershot collection with nothing in it complete. At least that's why I passed on it, and I own every Marvel omnibus except . . . hold on, I'm going to count, haha.

Hell. Okay, I own every Marvel omnibus EXCEPT:

John Byrne Marvel (reasons stated above)
    Devil Dinosaur (I may buy this)
    Golden Age Marvel Comics (not interested)
    Amazing Fantasy (not that interested. anyone want to sell me on why I should own it? haha)
    Tomb of Dracula 1 (OOP when I started collecting, might have bought otherwise)
    Tomb of Dracula 2
    Tomb of Dracula 3
    Werewolf By Night (no interest)
    John Carter (no interest)
    Star Wars 1 (Star Wars is blah)
    Star Wars 2
    Star Wars 3

Marvel First 1990s (ughh why waste an omnibus printing slot with this?)
    Marvel Now (ugghh they could have printed, like, Amazing Spider-man vol 3 instead!)
    Women of Marvel (cool idea . . . poor contents)
    Ultimate Marvel vol 1 (unnecessary omnibus and a bad way to collect each series)
    75th Anniversary (not my kind of collection)
    Muppets (nah)
    Stephen King Stand (loved the book, no interest in a GN of it)
    Stephen King Gunslinger (loved the book, no interest in a GN of it)
    Stephen King Dark Tower (loved the book, no interest in a GN of it)

So that's . . . everything except 21 of them. Unless I missed any, but I don't think so. Guess I'm doing pretty all right, haha. I'm skipping the new Squadron Supreme Classic and also all the MOKF / DHOKF omnibuses, so that number of what I don't have is going to go up a lot this year.
    Last edited by The Flicker Fade; 05-26-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Alright boys, here was my vote for most wanted marvel omnibus over on the masterworks forum:

1.UNCANNY X-MEN BY CHRIS CLAREMONT AND JR JR (#176-209, Annuals 8-10)
    2.Infinity War
    3.SILVER SURFER BY STEVE ENGLEHART (#1-31, ANNUAL)
    4.Infinity Crusade
    5.X-Factor (1986)
    6.Avengers: Galactic Storm
    7.Nova by DnA
    8.X-Force 2: 17-43, Annual 2-3; Excalibur 82; New Warriors 31, 45-46; Nomad 20; X-Factor 106
    9.Warlock
    Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 1-15
    10. What If???

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I agree. One of the most amazing runs ever in comics.

Did you read his Captain Marvel after he left Hulk? It was a good "sequel" in that in picked up Rick Jones' story line.

Damn! I would have added that as one of my omnibus choices had I remembered!

Fantastic Member

The Secret Ballot finally passed 100 votes.

Please don't forget to vote. Either here or on the MMW

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku...1#.V0h-f-vjW20

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Stephen King Gunslinger (loved the book, no interest in a GN of it)
    Stephen King Dark Tower (loved the book, no interest in a GN of it)

They are not just adaptations of the novels, if you were unaware. They are stories of Rolands past, many of them mentioned in the books, with plotting from Kings research assistant and written by Peter David. With art by Jae Lee, Phillips, Lark and Maleev. They are really good IMO, also loved the books.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

I noticed a lot of people putting down Uncanny X-Men vol. 4 as am omnibus choice and listing # 176-209.

I'm guilty of that myself.

I wonder, though, if Marvel does release it whether it would feature fewer X-Men issues. The previous ones have been collecting the mini series and there's some left.

For example: Kitty Pryde and Wolverine (which is great although the art is sometimes suspect); Iceman; Firestar; Nightcrawler; and Beauty and the Beast (Dazzler and Beast), which really wasn't that great as I recall.

Just a thought.

I think the Pryde-Wolverine should definitely go since there are ramifications from it. Firestar was introduced in the comics in issue # 193 (I'm going by memory here) and the mini followed soon after (it's also referenced to), so that might be worth it as well.