Page 330 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2302803203263273283293303313323333343403804308301330 ... LastLast
Results 4,936 to 4,950 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by evilomar View Post
    Apparently that book didn't sell well. Was hoping to get a second Aaron Omnibus and second Wolverine omnibus...but instead we got a Mark Millar collection :/
    Actually they did Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men instead. But I agree, I don't think it sold all that well. I bought my copy for about $25 on deep discount.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    There was also X-Men: Gambit: The Complete Collection Vol. 1 collecting half of Gambit Vol. 3 for the first time, but for core X-Men series you are correct. This year has been much more about reprints and recollections; "The Gift" Epic was the last release of 2015.
    I'm not complaining. I'm not! I'm really not. This is me not complaining. See?

I'm curious though. We've all thought a lot (and written a lot) about how to finish up collecting the gaps in Claremont's initial run, but have we ever mapped out what it would take to close the remaining gaps afterward in the two main series, UXM & X-Men vol 2, going by the way Marvel's been collecting them so far?

I haven't read much of the uncollected material having gotten off the X-Men train in the Road to Onslaught era and not boarding again until Morrison, so I don't know the best issue numbers by which to divide things up. But, purely going by number of uncollected issues left, it seems to me it's something like . . .

Gap #1: X-Men 31-35 (5 issues)
    One of the more frustrating gaps in X-Men collecting at the moment, because not only is it from the very height of the X-Men's popularity and a period that many people are nostalgic for, it's also so small, so how do we plug it? My suggestion (and it isn't a great one) is that these are collected with UXM 318 & 319, which, while already collected, aren't collected well. UXM 318 is in a Generation X trade, not any properly branded X-Men trade, and 319 is in the old Prelude to Onslaught trade, which is now made completely obsolete by new editions except for this issue. The timeline isn't perfect as these two issues happen a little later than 31-35, but it kills two birds with one stone and makes a book large enough to release.

So one book to plug this gap.

Gap #2: UXM 338-340, X-Men 58-61 (7 issues)
    No idea what the material is like or what else it might cross over with, but based on the number of issues alone, it seems like only one book needed to plug this gap.

Gap #3: UXM 351-359, X-Men 70-79 (19 issues)
    The largest remaining gap! Again, I have no idea what else it crosses over with that would need to be collected alongside it, but from the number of issues alone it needs at least two books.

Gap #4: UXM 368-371, X-Men 88-91 (8 issues)
    Should only take one book, right?

Gap #5: UXM 381-386, X-Men 100-106 (13 issues)
    Tricky. Maybe doable in one book depending on how much it stands alone, or maybe not.

So is that only six trades total to get the core X-books completely collected post-Claremont? Eight, counting Claremont? Well that's kind of awesome. Seems like an entirely achievable goal all of a sudden!

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    Agreed! Hulk by PD is a great run! (curious bout his captain marvel...)
    but even here i sense a direct "line of tought" between that "lack of interest from marvel" & the hulk in movies...
    His Captain Marvel was fantastic, one of the best books out at the time.

Been a while since I picked up an omni. Been debating between SHIELD and Guardians of the Galaxy (never read the material from either before, and I've been in a sci-fi/espionage mood).

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    Been a while since I picked up an omni. Been debating between SHIELD and Guardians of the Galaxy (never read the material from either before, and I've been in a sci-fi/espionage mood).
    Guardians of the Galaxy is a great book but I'm not sure how well it holds up as a stand alone title, from what I remember it tied in fairly heavily with the other books around that time.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    If you buy Guardians, you'll need to buy the War of Kings omni coming later this year, and likely track down the Realm of Kings OHC. You might also want Annihilation Conquest to see how the team formed.

Guardians of the Galaxy Solo Omnibus might do you better, or Infinity Gauntlet.

If you buy SHIELD, it's pretty self contained. You'll likely want to read Hickman's Secret Warriors though, to find out what happens to all the characters.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    If you buy Guardians, you'll need to buy the War of Kings omni coming later this year, and likely track down the Realm of Kings OHC. You might also want Annihilation Conquest to see how the team formed.

Guardians of the Galaxy Solo Omnibus might do you better, or Infinity Gauntlet.

If you buy SHIELD, it's pretty self contained. You'll likely want to read Hickman's Secret Warriors though, to find out what happens to all the characters.
    Unless it is the Steranko shield omnibus that is self contained isn't it?

So If I read my guardians of the galaxy omni with no prior knowledge i'm going to be lost?

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    So If I read my guardians of the galaxy omni with no prior knowledge i'm going to be lost?
    Around 2007-8 when I started to dive really into MArvel and DC I've read the DNA GotG and nothing else and bloody loved it. A year or two later read Annihilation and Conquest and loved it even more but never read Rok or Wok.

That said I'm really hesitating picking up the GotG omni because I had to pass on the annihilation one and because of that didn't pick up Conquest (also I remember liking Annihilation much more). So now I feel like I would have an incomplete set.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Unless it is the Steranko shield omnibus that is self contained isn't it?
    It is, but Secret Warriors is like a spiritual sequel, so after reading the SHIELD omni, you'll want to read SW to see what became of all the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by mtop2036 View Post
    Not lost, just not fully informed. It was a series that span out of an event (Annihilation Conquest), if you've not read that, you wont know why they are together or what they've been through. However, it does plough on pretty fast and introduces stuff as it goes, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd just recommend reading Conquest first if you can, and picking up the rest later if you enjoy it.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

When is the next Hatchette catalog due? That should show us 1Q material for 2017 and we can start to compare it to our new Top 50 Request list.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    It is, but Secret Warriors is like a spiritual sequel, so after reading the SHIELD omni, you'll want to read SW to see what became of all the characters.

Not lost, just not fully informed. It was a series that span out of an event (Annihilation Conquest), if you've not read that, you wont know why they are together or what they've been through. However, it does plough on pretty fast and introduces stuff as it goes, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd just recommend reading Conquest first if you can, and picking up the rest later if you enjoy it.
    Ah okay, I thought you might have been thinking of the Hickman Shield book which SW follows on from! I didn't realise that the Secret Warriors had its roots in the Streranko book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Ah okay, I thought you might have been thinking of the Hickman Shield book which SW follows on from! I didn't realise that the Secret Warriors had its roots in the Streranko book.
    I've asked about the SHIELD omni a week or so ago but nobody shared opinions about it but I'm still interested especially about the Kirby part of the book, since I'm not a big Kirby fan but the Steranko stuff makes me want to buy it (but if the first half of the book is not that super awesome I will pass on it.)
    I want to read more SA stuff, just ordered ASM v1 omni so if the SHIELD omnibus is considered a great read among other classics like SM, F4 or Doctor Strange (which it shared a title with) I would definitely give it a shot.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I've just cracked open my Master of Kung Fu, Vol. 1 omnibus (variant - apparently sold out already!). Doug Moench's intro is terrific - I need to find out if he's doing any current writing. The page weight, though it felt a bit thin in my hand, does a very solid job of not showing through from opposite pages when resting on the pages behind it - and, there's a lot of white space to check this out on, because letter pages are included!

The restoration is gorgeous and the first issue (which I've just read) is definitely an all-time classic. It's like this is a giant Masterwork.

PS: My first post recapping #46-50 of the Omnibus survey is up, with tons of new detail and content. More to come!
    Last edited by krisis; 06-06-2016 at 12:07 PM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I've just cracked open my Master of Kung Fu, Vol. 1 omnibus (variant - apparently sold out already!). Doug Moench's intro is terrific - I need to find out if he's doing any current writing. The page weight, though it felt a bit thin in my hand, does a very solid job of not showing through from opposite pages when resting on the pages behind it - and, there's a lot of white space to check this out on, because letter pages are included!

The restoration is gorgeous and the first issue (which I've just read) is definitely an all-time classic. It's like this is a giant Masterwork.

PS: My first post recapping #46-50 of the Omnibus survey is up, with tons of new detail and content. More to come!
    Bro, you're literally the best. I've had your site bookmarked for so long.