Page 335 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2352853253313323333343353363373383393453854358351335 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,025 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Shhhhh, we don't talk about that.
    I must say thanks to Austen for one thing though, him joining the X-Men was the first time I dropped a comic, the other times I stopped buying them because the series ended or been cancelled. It made me realise I can stop buying books I don't like and then further down the line made dropping singles for trades that much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I must say thanks to Austen for one thing though, him joining the X-Men was the first time I dropped a comic, the other times I stopped buying them because the series ended or been cancelled. It made me realise I can stop buying books I don't like and then further down the line made dropping singles for trades that much easier.
    Don't blame you for dropping the book, with all the horror stories I've heard about Austen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    And then crashed and burned straight after with the Austen run.
    After? I would have said "during".

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    What we're really still missing is a Nova omnibus. With pretty much everything else from that cosmic epic in OHC I can't believe that's being left out. Nova doesn't cross over much but it does kick things off and end things. Getting the Realm of Kings "event" and Nova in OHC would finish that whole epic story.
    Agreed, I'd very much like a Nova omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
    Don't blame you for dropping the book, with all the horror stories I've heard about Austen.
    The only Austen book that I enjoyed was the black and white Warmachine book that came out under the Max imprint. By the time he had come on board the X-Men books he had produced some awful books, so bad that I can't even remember what they were.

I even had a deliberate hole in my Exiles tpb run where his books were meant to be... until recently when I was auditing my collection, noticed the missing books and bought them off ebay...only to realise why they were missing when they arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    After? I would have said "during".
    I meant they crashed and burnt straight after the Morrison run with the Austen books.

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    Agreed, I'd very much like a Nova omni.
    I'd prefer them to print the rest of the OHc's but a omnibus would do.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Thanks Krisis for your in depth breakdown of the Top 50 Omnibusses on your blog. With the bambinis playing with their friends in the surf and the wife lying in the shade next to me, I managed to pick up your page whilst relaxing on a beach in Tuscany, Italy
    Do you live there or are you visiting?

My wife and I just got back a couple weeks ago from a trip there. We did 4 days in Florence and we absolutely loved Tuscany.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolpherine View Post
    Do you live there or are you visiting?

My wife and I just got back a couple weeks ago from a trip there. We did 4 days in Florence and we absolutely loved Tuscany.
    We're visiting (last 2 weeks) - living in San Vincenzo and visited Florence, Pisa, Siena (probably our favourite city in Tuscany), San Gimignano, amongst others. Tuscany is beautiful, delicious food and wine, friendly locals, quaint villages and fantastic architecture and historical sites, amazing rolling fields and landscapes and lovely beaches.

Not to derail the thread just finished reading and enjoyed Krisis's 35-31 Omnibus writeup.

Spectacular Member

When Austen's X-Men was coming out, the X2 movie had just hit and I was too young to realize that anything X-Men could be bad or dislikeable. I genuinely enjoyed it all until the Romeo & Juliet arc. I continued to buy and read the whole run, though. I have no idea how I would feel on a re-read, however, I was tremendously disappointed when successive writers seemed to immediately undo - nay, ignore entirely - everything Austen had done with the Juggernaut - which I still, in hindsight, think was great. When Austen and Morrison were writing the X-Men (simultaneously from [cover dates] Oct. 2002 to May 2004, BTW), to me that was THE X-Men. The subsequent muddling of many things from both of their runs, particularly Xorn and Juggernaut, left me greatly disillusioned and taught me what others already knew, that Marvel has no interest in long-term change or progress for their properties.

I read Austen's stuff years ago and while not necessarily memorable I don't get the complete hate.
    Further, it's amusing how people shit all over Austen's X-Men yet enjoy the dog turds of the 1990s.
    Also, as another poster noted, what he did with Juggernaut was actually pretty cool. Too bad it was undone. So much for progress and character development.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I do think Austen's run gets a little bit of extra hate because it was up against Morrison and Claremont simultaneously. There's just no winning in that situation. Some of his plots were entertaining, and I agree he offered some of the best Juggernaut developments of anyone.

However, a few weird plot beats, the generally over-the-top soapiness of the Havok love story and the Angel/Husk pairing, and some truly odd art have wrecked the chances of this run ever getting belated fan love in hindsight.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Why the hell does Marvel number the epic collections when they wont even release the in between volumes? lol

Hachette catalog should be coming next month or so huh?

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Iceman reconstituted himself from Havok's pee. I have very little respect for Austen's run.

Though he did start Hugh's redemption arc, which I really enjoyed.
    Cyclops was right