Page 370 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2703203603663673683693703713723733743804204708701370 ... LastLast
Results 5,536 to 5,550 of 20773

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    As a long time Marvel fan - I am being burned and bummed about their collected editions. I do not wish to come across as a your typical angry comic geek, but I had a few concerns regarding Marvel's Omni and collected lines. I have email Marvel but never had a response. There a few points I wish to raise, and if anyone knows where to send my question, or can address them here - I am would be very grateful.

1 - Who chooses with runs will be collected? I have waited years for JMDeMattei's Spectacular Spider-Man and Nocenti's Daredevil. Fed up, I finally started the process to bind them.
    2 - How does Marvel select the company to print the omni's? If you follow the line, you'll notice a decrease in paperweight/thickness. Compare the original Amazing Spider-Man vol 1 Omni to the one currently in print. While I am all about saving money and improving profits, the think paper has a tendency to wrinkle easier due to humidity. I am plopping down a hundred dollars and the pages wrinkle.
    3 - Who chooses to reprint past Omnis? Walter Simonson's Thor comes to mind.
    4 - How is pricing calculated? Example - Daredevil by Miller was reprinted in 2013 for $100. The same volume was reprinted in 2016 but for $125, same page count. The jump in price does not reflect inflation. Case in point Millar Wolverine - roughly 20 issues for $75, then McFarlane's Spider-Man for $75 for 5 issues less.
    5 - Regarding the softcovers - the covers to the soft cover are smaller than the pages themselves. This wears out the pages. Why are they printed in this manner?

If Marvel's pricing is so lax, how can we tell as consumers if we're getting quality prints or jacked prices for maximum profit?
    1. I think it's a combination of Sales/Marketing and the Collected Edition teams.
    2. Presumably in the same way most companies choose outsourcing partners; who will give the best price and service.
    3. See 1.
    4. Ultimately, it's priced at the level Marvel will think will make the best return on investment. There isn't a standard per issue formula.
    5. Don't have an answer to that one. Let's blame Sales/Marketing

2 - How does Marvel select the company to print the omni's? If you follow the line, you'll notice a decrease in paperweight/thickness. Compare the original Amazing Spider-Man vol 1 Omni to the one currently in print. While I am all about saving money and improving profits, the think paper has a tendency to wrinkle easier due to humidity. I am plopping down a hundred dollars and the pages wrinkle.
    This complaint always confuses me.

If you have enough humidity in your house to actually warp your books, you need to call in a contractor.

More likely, people are being hyperbolic about a slight wave to the page block upon receipt of a book, which is perfectly normal, only temporary and, most importantly, doesn't have any negative effects on the book.

As a long time Marvel fan - I am being burned and bummed about their collected editions. I do not wish to come across as a your typical angry comic geek, but I had a few concerns regarding Marvel's Omni and collected lines. I have email Marvel but never had a response. There a few points I wish to raise, and if anyone knows where to send my question, or can address them here - I am would be very grateful.

1 - Who chooses with runs will be collected? I have waited years for JMDeMattei's Spectacular Spider-Man and Nocenti's Daredevil. Fed up, I finally started the process to bind them.
    3 - Who chooses to reprint past Omnis? Walter Simonson's Thor comes to mind.
    4 - How is pricing calculated? Example - Daredevil by Miller was reprinted in 2013 for $100. The same volume was reprinted in 2016 but for $125, same page count. The jump in price does not reflect inflation. Case in point Millar Wolverine - roughly 20 issues for $75, then McFarlane's Spider-Man for $75 for 5 issues less.
    5 - Regarding the softcovers - the covers to the soft cover are smaller than the pages themselves. This wears out the pages. Why are they printed in this manner?

If Marvel's pricing is so lax, how can we tell as consumers if we're getting quality prints or jacked prices for maximum profit?
    Since you're new, then you don't get our favorite response when these questions are asked, which is: "You the man, Charlie Brown."
    Instead, you get the the most reasonable response, which is "your guess is as good as ours."
    There's no rhyme or reason for what Marvel does and there are really no patterns other than if a movie comes out then there will be some collected editions in some form of that character or team, but even nailing down that is sketchy. It could all be coincidence.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

I've decided that since there's no solicit for it by now there isn't going to be a second Powers omnibus finishing up the series. Another orphaned Bendis vol 1. Frustrating. I really thought that over the last year or so Marvel collected editions had gotten its act together and was making an effort not to do things like this anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    I've decided that since there's no solicit for it by now there isn't going to be a second Powers omnibus finishing up the series. Another orphaned Bendis vol 1. Frustrating. I really thought that over the last year or so Marvel collected editions had gotten its act together and was making an effort not to do things like this anymore.
    Has it even been a year since the first one came out, if this was DC I would agree with you as they are good with follow up volumes, but outside of the recent Busiek/Perez Avengers and Master of Kung Fu have they ever done a volume 2 in under a year?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Has it even been a year since the first one came out, if this was DC I would agree with you as they are good with follow up volumes, but outside of the recent Busiek/Perez Avengers and Master of Kung Fu have they ever done a volume 2 in under a year?
    The first and second Avengers West Coast omnis were released only seven months apart in 2013, but you're right - it is rare that we get them with greater frequency than annually.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post

If you have enough humidity in your house to actually warp your books, you need to call in a contractor.

More likely, people are being hyperbolic about a slight wave to the page block upon receipt of a book, which is perfectly normal, only temporary and, most importantly, doesn't have any negative effects on the book.
    Climate controlled house in Canada with much less humidity than most parts of the world. Had the book for over a year, still looks like this. The pages are wavy all throughout.

IMG_20160705_172920.jpg
    Last edited by TheManInBlack; 07-05-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    One year (August), with solicits out until March of next year now. Powers, like New Avengers, would be a two volume set, not a long open-ended line like, say, the Silver Age Fantastic Four omnibuses, so Marvel has a different publishing history precedent for that. The Tomb of Dracula omnibuses are the best example aside from Busiek/Perez and MOFK. They were a three volume set, and each volume came out a year after the previous. If Marvel were doing that with Powers it would be out in September, and at the very least we would have a solicit by now for next March. The Bendis Daredevil set came out fifteen months apart (again, we'd have a solicit by now), and the Brubaker Daredevil set came out a year apart. Fantastic Four by Hickman set, a year apart. Actually the only precedent against this is that the Brubaker Captain America series did take longer, but he was still writing it, and they aren't marked vol 1, vol 2, vol 3, etc, meaning they weren't necessarily approached as a set from a publishing perspective.

So . . . hey, I'd love to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    Climate controlled house in Canada with much less humidity than most parts of the world. Had the book for over a year, still looks like this. The pages are wavy all throughout. This is NOT a myth.

IMG_20160705_172920.jpg
    I have the same book and it is completely fine. Perhaps your copy is defective or got wet?

Spectacular Member

I have the same book and it is completely fine. Perhaps your copy is defective or got wet?
    Was like that when I got it out of the box, so I never got it wet. Might be defective, but if it is so is my copy of the Infinity OHC and a few other recent Marvel books.

Amazing Member

I had the same problem with wavy paper with my copy of Captain America White OHC. I ordered a second one and it had the same wavy paper all throughout. The pages are that wavy that the book doesn't even close without a gap and that's not funny at all. I had this problem only with Captain America White and not with the recently reprinted version of the Civil War OHC. But again here the paper is so thin, that when you flip the pages, you sometimes accidentially crease the paper.
    I think the paper stock of the recent Omnis is thicker (thick enough) than that of the OHCs (too thin).
    Last edited by Jaepuck; 07-05-2016 at 03:50 PM.

I have a dehumidifyer. I live in Kansas. The house isn't the issue. The thickness of paper is - old trades are not effected, only the current releases. I take a shower - boom, even with the machine running (saves on cooling costs) the omnis become affected.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    One year (August), with solicits out until March of next year now. Powers, like New Avengers, would be a two volume set, not a long open-ended line like, say, the Silver Age Fantastic Four omnibuses, so Marvel has a different publishing history precedent for that. The Tomb of Dracula omnibuses are the best example aside from Busiek/Perez and MOFK. They were a three volume set, and each volume came out a year after the previous. If Marvel were doing that with Powers it would be out in September, and at the very least we would have a solicit by now for next March. The Bendis Daredevil set came out fifteen months apart (again, we'd have a solicit by now), and the Brubaker Daredevil set came out a year apart. Fantastic Four by Hickman set, a year apart. Actually the only precedent against this is that the Brubaker Captain America series did take longer, but he was still writing it, and they aren't marked vol 1, vol 2, vol 3, etc, meaning they weren't necessarily approached as a set from a publishing perspective.

So . . . hey, I'd love to be wrong.
    There's Bendis precedent: new avengers and ultimate Spider-Man, so I'm with you.
    Also, instead of a Powers 2 they're releasing the Bendis "crime" omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaepuck View Post
    I had the same problem with wavy paper with my copy of Captain America White OHC. I ordered a second one and it had the same wavy paper all throughout. The pages are that wavy that the book doesn't even close without a gap and that's not funny at all. I had this problem only with Captain America White and not with the recently reprinted version of the Civil War OHC. But again here the paper is so thin, that when you flip the pages, you sometimes accidentially crease the paper.
    I think the paper stock of the recent Omnis is thicker (thick enough) than that of the OHCs (too thin).
    Right, and wavy paper is different from wrinkled paper or a warping book; wavy paper is normal, temporary, and doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Deadpool Adamantium Collection now, too? Well I guess you can't go wrong with blown up, XXL oversized Liefeld art.
    84b44146054445210a8c3bbed084a400.jpg

10joffreys