Page 4 of 1382 FirstFirst 1234567814541045041004 ... LastLast

New thread!
    Per the first page, were the Miller Daredevil Omniboo/Omnibi/Omnibuses pushed back to early 2016, instead of late 2015? This would mean wonders to my wallet.

Also, what is the official plural term for "Omnibus"?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ87 View Post
    New thread!
    Per the first page, were the Miller Daredevil Omniboo/Omnibi/Omnibuses pushed back to early 2016, instead of late 2015? This would mean wonders to my wallet.

Technically I belive it is omnibuses or omnis but a lot of people use omnibi. Ultimately you can use whatever pluralism sounds natural. I doubt anyone will get offended.

I missed two buses/I missed two busi is good enough for me lol

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    Shiny new thread!

What will be the first Marvel Omnibus you read in this new thread era?

I have no idea.
    SHIELD

New thread!

Please do not use omniboo.
    It's lame.
    My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post

Please do not use omniboo.
    It's lame.
    My 2 cents.
    +100000000

Shiny new thread!

I have no idea.
    Sadly, I have no new omninbuses from Marvel. I think the last one I got was maybe Infinity Gauntlet? I am going through some epic collections though.

Spectacular Member

New thread!

Omnibi - simple Latin.

(Technically, the exact word "omnibus" in Latin is already plural, however, the average singular noun ending in -us becomes -i when plural.)
    Last edited by invisiblegardener; 10-13-2015 at 09:23 PM.

Incredible Member

I'm just saving up for Marvel's Star Wars Omnibus vol. 3 and I read in Previews that another Uncanny X-Men Omnibus is coming in 2016 which collects Dave Cockrum's second run on the title after Byrne left.
    Last edited by Mace Dolex; 10-13-2015 at 09:53 PM.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblegardener View Post
    Omnibi - simple Latin.

(Technically, the exact word "omnibus" in Latin is already plural, however, the average singular noun ending in -us becomes -i when plural.)
    Yeah technically omnibus is already in plural. II usually use omnibi (when I'm in a classical mood), omni's (when I'm in a lazy mood) or omniboo (when I recently read that person's signature (can't remember the username, sorry)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I'm just saving up for Marvel's Star Wars Omnibus vol. 3 and I read in Previews that another Uncanny X-Men Omnibus is coming in 2016 which collects Dave Cockrum's second run on the title after Byrne left.
    That is correct
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

To be honest, my first omnibus read for the thread relaunch is probably going to be the Marvel Zomnibus, possibly the oldest book in my backlog. I love all the Kirkman/Ultimate FF stuff, but it'll be interesting to see if the other work is as bad as people say, or if it ends up being dumb fun that I enjoy.

Incredible Member

Probably Alias. Gotta get the hype train going for Jessica Jones on Netflix.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblegardener View Post
    Omnibi - simple Latin.

Actually, not meaning to get picky, bus as a Classics teacher, that's not correct. You're using the right rule, but to a degree of being hypercorrect.

Hypercorrect is when you apply the right rule, but the word doesnt conform to that rule. This is because the word Omnibus derives from a Latin word which in turn derives from a non-Latin word. As such the Latin rules don't apply. It's like Octopus. Octopus is a Latin word, so you expect the Latin rules to make the plural Octopi, but because Octopus is derived from a Greek word, the correct plural is actually Octopodes (following the Greek rules).

The correct plural for Omnibus is Omnibusses, but even that is now 'dated' (out of fashion, like saying 'gay' to mean happy) because people have become lazy and shorted it to just omnibuses, however omnibusses is still the truly correct plural.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Actually, not meaning to get picky, bus as a Classics teacher, that's not correct. You're using the right rule, but to a degree of being hypercorrect.

Hypercorrect is when you apply the right rule, but the word doesnt conform to that rule. This is because the word Omnibus derives from a Latin word which in turn derives from a non-Latin word. As such the Latin rules don't apply. It's like Octopus. Octopus is a Latin word, so you expect the Latin rules to make the plural Octopi, but because Octopus is derived from a Greek word, the correct plural is actually Octopodes (following the Greek rules).

The correct plural for Omnibus is Omnibusses, but even that is now 'dated' (out of fashion, like saying 'gay' to mean happy) because people have become lazy and shorted it to just omnibuses, however omnibusses is still the truly correct plural.
    Who needs school when we have the All New Marvel Collected Editions thread! Omnibusses it is then.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Probably Alias. Gotta get the hype train going for Jessica Jones on Netflix.
    The reprints of Alias seem to be selling out in UK everywhere now with Amazon having a few copies left