Page 402 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 302352392398399400401402403404405406412452502902 ... LastLast
Results 6,016 to 6,030 of 20773
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I'm going to take a different approach and say the original Secret Wars, which no one has mentioned at this point.

Did it change everything? Well, yes and no. Things were changed for years (which is longer than most events) and its impact is still felt today.

The event established Dr. Doom as a legitimate bad ass. I mean, come on, prior to this Spider-Man and Luke Cage kicked his ass in single floppies. I mean the dude beat down the Beyonder.
    That event did not establish Dr. Doom as "a legitimate bad ass". He was one way before that. Prior to this, he had stolen the Surfer's powers and had many other amazing feats. He gave not only the FF serious problems again and again, but other heroes as well.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    That event did not establish Dr. Doom as "a legitimate bad ass". He was one way before that. Prior to this, he had stolen the Surfer's powers and had many other amazing feats. He gave not only the FF serious problems again and again, but other heroes as well.
    Yeah by the time Secret Wars rolled around he had already done a ton of bad ass things, love what Lee/Kirby, Wolfman, and Byrne did with him in the FF book, he had some good appearances in other titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Yeah by the time Secret Wars rolled around he had already done a ton of bad ass things, love what Lee/Kirby, Wolfman, and Byrne did with him in the FF book, he had some good appearances in other titles.
    I'd have to respectfully disagree.
    He might have done some bad ass things, but this put it on a whole new level as SW was one of the biggest sellers of all time at the time and it showcased Doom for all readers.
    Sure, you have some good examples, but let me play devil's advocate: Like Cage handed Doom his ass over $2 that he said Doom owed him.
    No shit.
    That kind of stuff didn't happen after SW.
    Sure, he was a great FF villain, but he was still making throw-away appearances in other books prior to SW.
    Now, when he shows up, it's legit.
    Interestingly enough, Hickman sort of compounds/expands on the Doom from the original Secret Wars. He kicks Beyonder ass and then goes on to create his own world. In both SW series, Doom "fixed" things after that initial confrontation. In Hickman's version he actually created the world that he sort of hinted at doing in the original SW.

I'd have to respectfully disagree.
    He might have done some bad ass things, but this put it on a whole new level as SW was one of the biggest sellers of all time at the time and it showcased Doom for all readers.
    Sure, you have some good examples, but let me play devil's advocate: Like Cage handed Doom his ass over $2 that he said Doom owed him.
    No shit.
    That kind of stuff didn't happen after SW.
    Sure, he was a great FF villain, but he was still making throw-away appearances in other books prior to SW.
    Now, when he shows up, it's legit.
    Interestingly enough, Hickman sort of compounds/expands on the Doom from the original Secret Wars. He kicks Beyonder ass and then goes on to create his own world. In both SW series, Doom "fixed" things after that initial confrontation. In Hickman's version he actually created the world that he sort of hinted at doing in the original SW.
    It was $200, not that it makes him losing over a small amount of cash any better, but post Secret Wars he did lose to Squirrel Girl and a bunch of squirrels. I know people like the running joke of villains losing to her, but losing to her is much more pathetic then losing to Luke Cage.

Hickman Doom is 100% bad ass he did some great work with Doom during his FF run and SW.

It was $200, not that it makes him losing over a small amount of cash any better, but post Secret Wars he did lose to Squirrel Girl and a bunch of squirrels. I know people like the running joke of villains losing to her, but losing to her is much more pathetic then losing to Luke Cage.

Hickman Doom is 100% bad ass he did some great work with Doom during his FF run and SW.
    While I agree with TomSlick on Secret Wars AND Doom, don't forget the amazing "Emperor Doom" Graphic novel w/the Avengers. He takes over the entire world, realizes it's kinda boring, and sorta lets things play out so that the good guys win and he can go back to having a challenge. You could sorta say Hickman did the same thing in his Secret Wars mini, too. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too, after all, when you are a world conqueror. LOL.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Well, there was an issue of UXM after Byrne left the book (to take over FF) where Claremont had Doom defeated by Arcade of all people. Byrne was en fuego b/c he felt that Doom was inherently an FF character, and his portrayal across the company should be in line with what Byrne was doing over in FF. Byrne later "revealed" the Doom which fought Arcade was a Doombot, thereby always creating an "out" for any appearance which was not in character. So yeah, for a while there Doom was kind of a lame villain until SW.

Didn't Simonson also reveal during his FF run that the one true, original Doctor Doom had been out in the timestream for years & years possibly as far back as his initial appearances by Lee/Kirby and when he dropped back into the regular MU all the lame appearances of the character over the years were allegedly chalked up to Doombot shenanigans. So he kind of followed up on Byrne's take on the character. I think. It's been years & years since all of that.

Was it $200? Damn thought it was $2. Anyway that MUST have been a Doombot that lost to the squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Didn't Simonson also reveal during his FF run that the one true, original Doctor Doom had been out in the timestream for years & years possibly as far back as his initial appearances by Lee/Kirby and when he dropped back into the regular MU all the lame appearances of the character over the years were allegedly chalked up to Doombot shenanigans. So he kind of followed up on Byrne's take on the character. I think. It's been years & years since all of that.
    I believe you are correct and that was done during Simonson's run, but it has been a while since I read it.

Was it $200? Damn thought it was $2. Anyway that MUST have been a Doombot that lost to the squirrel.
    The benefit of Doom is those bad loses can all be pinned on Doom bots even if it was not really Doombots at the time. It was $200, but I like Luke's commitment to fly to Latveria to get it back, when it has to cost much more then that to get to there. Doom is usually pretty honorable in his own way, figure he would pay what is owed, but maybe he learned something after Luke smacked him around.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Has anyone picked up the first Uncanny Inhumans collection?

Yes, it's Inhumans, and yes, it's time travel nonsense, but it was pretty enjoyable. It stayed pretty light on NuHumans - it only used two of the best ones, and it had plenty of Black Bolt now that he's been liberated from primarily appearing in New Avengers. Free of FF, Human Torch is actually somewhat of his own character. And Beast is, well, still Beast, but you can't win 'em all.

However, most prominently, McNiven was on his A+ game in every panel. It was Old Man Logan levels of beautiful.
    Last edited by krisis; 08-10-2016 at 05:07 PM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Has anyone picked up the first Uncanny Inhumans collection?

Yes, it's Inhumans, and yes, it's time travel nonsense, but it was pretty enjoyable. It stayed pretty light on NuHumans - it only used two of the best ones, and it had plenty of Black Bolt now that he's been liberated from primarily appearing in New Avengers. Free of FF, Human Torch is actually somewhat of his own character. And Beast is, well, still Beast, but you can't win 'em all.

However, most prominently, McNiven was on his A+ game in every panel. It was Old Man Logan levels of beautiful.
    Reading it. Loving it. Black Bolt. Kang!! McNiven. Looking forward to the X-Men vs Inhumans event.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    Reading it. Loving it. Black Bolt. Kang!! McNiven. Looking forward to the X-Men vs Inhumans event.
    Never read Inhuman stuff, but McNiven sold me. Is the previous 'Inhuman' with Madureira/Stegman comparable to this volume?

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Never read Inhuman stuff, but McNiven sold me. Is the previous 'Inhuman' with Madureira/Stegman comparable to this volume?
    I'd say "not really."

Inhuman was all about introducing a LOT of supporting structure to the Inhuman world - factions, characters, and relationships. It was the opposite of decompressed - Soule crammed as much as he could into 14 issues and an annual. It was a bit of a rush, in my opinion. Not amazing, but not bad. Some of the new characters were really interesting. Some were boring.

Uncanny Inhumans, so far, is Soule finally settling in to write the big, Game of Thrones drama beats that Fraction originally teased when he was meant to be on Inhuman. It's a bit decompressed, but so far it feels epic - not just because of McNiven, but because Black Bolt is back, and because it felt like on the first arc Soule stepped back from the micro of individuals to the macro of the Inhumans as a race.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Heads up, all: Amazon just listed most of the remainder of the Hachette Guide collections - that's everything solicited through the end of April 12 (since Amazon's release dates are two weeks behind DM). I'll have it all summarized on my blog a little bit later today, including the War of Kings prologue and the X-Men: Legacy omnibus.

Spectacular Member

Heads up, all: Amazon just listed most of the remainder of the Hachette Guide collections - that's everything solicited through the end of April 12 (since Amazon's release dates are two weeks behind DM). I'll have it all summarized on my blog a little bit later today, including the War of Kings prologue and the X-Men: Legacy omnibus.
    Can someone update post #2 for the upcoming releases?

I have a question for you, Marvel Collectors: What Marvel event collections, with at least three years of hindsight, really did "change everything" in a way that still feels significant after the fact and makes you want to refer to and re-read them years down the line?
    I would say one of the strongest impacts ever was Age of Apocalypse. It was a game changer at the time, such a big deal. Right out of the gate they spun off X-Man into a full series lasting years. Sugarman and Dark Beast were retconned deep into X-Men history. Dark Beast was an antagonist all they way up to Marvel Now. The world that was NOT supposed to be an alternate reality became a whole new reality to visit. Exiles explored its characters prominently. Then two decades later Uncanny X-force brings it back into full swing by adding AoA characters to it's story and visiting the world again, causing marvel to spin off a whole new 12 issue Age of Apocalypse series. it all ended with one of the worst X-Men crossovers ever, X-Termination. After all that marvel made Age of Apocalypse a kingdom in battle world and I'm sure we will see more.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.