Page 404 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 304354394400401402403404405406407408414454504904 ... LastLast
Results 6,046 to 6,060 of 20773

Good to know will not be grabbing it thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    That goes double for the art! Oh god, my eyes! My eyes!
    I forgot how much you liked the pushed in faces. LOL
    I habe to admit tho, I didn't like the webs and the detail McFarlane put into them. I liked his brief work on Detective and Hulk as well.
    But, wow, his writing is just flat out terrible. Heck, I think even he knew it when he started Spawn and brought in a lot of top writing talent (Moore, Gaiman, Miller, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Has anyone picked up the first Uncanny Inhumans collection?

Yes, it's Inhumans, and yes, it's time travel nonsense, but it was pretty enjoyable. It stayed pretty light on NuHumans - it only used two of the best ones, and it had plenty of Black Bolt now that he's been liberated from primarily appearing in New Avengers. Free of FF, Human Torch is actually somewhat of his own character. And Beast is, well, still Beast, but you can't win 'em all.

However, most prominently, McNiven was on his A+ game in every panel. It was Old Man Logan levels of beautiful.
    I'm waiting for the OHC

The Inhumans OHC was a cool read. I honestly believe if Marvel weren't treating the X-Men and FF badly Soule's Inhuman work would be better received.
    We need better comics

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    Maybe its not so bad in the States, but is anyone here from Canada off-put by the ever-increasing cost of these deluxe/omnibus collections? I grabbed a pre-order for Ms. Marvel Omnibus off Amazon.ca for $68, since Chapters has it at $88. However this still feels like a steep price to me for under 500 pages of content (From what the listings show anyways). I also pre-ordered the Deadpool Omnibus for $88 but I can see now it would cost over $100 cad...

My issue is Image/Dark Horse vs Marvel/DC still seem to be keeping their costs of their deluxes down more so than Marvel/DC. At the same time, Image/Dark Horse seem to be more invested in ensuring the paper is thick and of high quality. I wouldnt be surprised if the Ms. Marvel omnibus has really thin paper quality. However for the price I am paying, I would expect something akin to the paper quality in the recent Deadly Class Deluxe edition.

I have a feeling after this year, I will focus on the library/deluxe editions from Image/Dark Horse and stop picking stuff up from DC/Marvel.
    As a Canadian, I've seen prices soar well over 150% in many cases for new books just in the last year and a half alone. It's absolutely sickening and it's made me drastically cut back on what I buy. Even Image collections cost more up here now, although they're still better made and more reasonably priced than the obscene costs of new Marvel omnibuses. Also, a big issue is that we have no equivalent to IST up here, and Amazon have gone from offering a standard 30-40% discount on HCs to offering 0 to 30%, usually on the low end, which, when paired with the inflating canadian cover price, makes things even worse. I, for one, am extremely happy that I started collecting HCs back in 2010. I'd never have had as awesome a collection if I started now.
    Last edited by TheManInBlack; 08-12-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I forgot how much you liked the pushed in faces. LOL
    I habe to admit tho, I didn't like the webs and the detail McFarlane put into them. I liked his brief work on Detective and Hulk as well.
    But, wow, his writing is just flat out terrible. Heck, I think even he knew it when he started Spawn and brought in a lot of top writing talent (Moore, Gaiman, Miller, etc).
    One thing you can't argue is that he's a good business man
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    One thing you can't argue is that he's a good business man
    You're right, he is, except for buying those baseballs.

Yea I started about 2010 so I have already built up a nice collection as well. I just find it surprising people defend marvel when it comes to the decreasing paper quality.

I finally got around to picking up Hawkeye vol 2 OHC so I started to re-read volume 1. Paper is so thin you can see art from the other side on lighter pages. That's pathetic. There's no excuse when competitors are releasing oversized content with thick premium paper.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    It's arguably some of the worst writing in the history of comics.
    Nah that's a big list for comparison. I'll put up some of Howard Mackie or Terry Kavannah's Spidey against the McFarlane stuff any day!

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    That goes double for the art! Oh god, my eyes! My eyes!
    No, no, no, NO! Blasphemy! The art is what made this book a record breaking seller back in the day!

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Yea I started about 2010 so I have already built up a nice collection as well. I just find it surprising people defend marvel when it comes to the decreasing paper quality.

I finally got around to picking up Hawkeye vol 2 OHC so I started to re-read volume 1. Paper is so thin you can see art from the other side on lighter pages. That's pathetic. There's no excuse when competitors are releasing oversized content with thick premium paper.
    I agree, but I'm coming at it from a slightly different angle.

I don't think the paper is SO objectionable from a reading perspective. The show-through and the waviness don't bother me all that much. However, I think at some point in the past three years Marvel changed from treating hardcovers as an archival printing that was meant to live a long life to treating them as just another short-term profit vehicle with an eye to the highest possible margin for the lowest possible quality.

As I look at the giant mass of books in my house, I don't have a problem with the space they take up, but I do have a problem with them turning into withered junk the moment they're touched/read/shelved. That's why I got out of floppies and into books - so I could re-read them 20 years from now!

And, thus, Marvel finally drove me to digital (except for MMWs/Epics) against all of my personal wishes.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure everyone would prefer thicker paper than what they are using on some of the hardcovers now. I'm going to assume you're referring to DC as their competitor using more premium paper. They are, it's a great paper, but it's still the same company that has yet to produce an omnibus that will stay open on its own within a hundred pages of the front or back of the book. So, DC has great paper and sub-par binding on all their books, Marvel has great binding and sub-par paper on some of their books. Pick your poison, but both are still great value. How would you feel if they both produced Absolute Edition quality omnibi but they had a $200 list price instead of $100?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Nah that's a big list for comparison. I'll put up some of Howard Mackie or Terry Kavannah's Spidey against the McFarlane stuff any day!
    Oh man, yeah Mackie. He was so bad, I must have blacked out and forgot about him. Still, Todd is up there.
    On a side note, I'm surprised it took this long to get his run collected in an omnibus. Figured it would have come sooner. For all the complaints, he does have a pretty big following.

Fantastic Member

I'm looking for a collection of The Avengers: Under Siege, preferably with non-digital coloring. Any tips?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by lalalei2001 View Post
    I'm looking for a collection of The Avengers: Under Siege, preferably with non-digital coloring. Any tips?
    The Epic Collection of the same name was just released in May of this year, in fact. Prior to that, it had been necessary to hunt down an OOP Premiere HC. I don't believe either of these editions has altered the original coloring, but there are many more knowledgeable than I in such matters. Hope this helps!

By the way, that Epic specifically collects the following issues:

AVENGERS (1963) #264-277, ALPHA FLIGHT (1983) #39, AVENGERS ANNUAL #15 and WEST COAST AVENGERS ANNUAL #1

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Near Mint View Post
    The Epic Collection of the same name was just released in May of this year, in fact. Prior to that, it had been necessary to hunt down an OOP Premiere HC. I don't believe either of these editions has altered the original coloring, but there are many more knowledgeable than I in such matters. Hope this helps!

By the way, that Epic specifically collects the following issues:

AVENGERS (1963) #264-277, ALPHA FLIGHT (1983) #39, AVENGERS ANNUAL #15 and WEST COAST AVENGERS ANNUAL #1
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2Staples View Post
    Just for the record, I'm pretty sure everyone would prefer thicker paper than what they are using on some of the hardcovers now.
    I'm on the fence honestly.
    I agree that Marvel paper is thin but it doesn't bother me. It looks fine on older stuff but I agree that with modern stuff with much deeper ink and colors it can be an issue.
    On the other hand when I read Hellboy's Legendary edition, which has thick paper, I keep thinking I've turned 2 pages instead of one and it annoys me greatly because it pauses the pace of the story.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"