Page 408 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 308358398404405406407408409410411412418458508908 ... LastLast
Results 6,106 to 6,120 of 20773
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    It's really not that bad. A few instances where he's maybe not as red as he should be but it isn't at all distracting. Hardly a detraction. Complaints are from really highly (I'd say almost obsessively) exacting people and overblown.

I don't have the most recent printing but I have other books with the same paper and it's fine. Bottom line, don't be hesitant to buy.
    Yes, I would agree with you. I have a good chunk of the original DD Miller floppies which I bought as a kid and I compared them with the Omni. I really didn't see much difference at all, if any.

I'm a diehard DD completionist, and it didn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I wonder if it would be exclusive to Infinity Gauntlet and collecting all sorts of background/leadup (like material from Avengers vs. Thanos, Warlock, etc) OR if it would be in the style of the Secret Wars box and include ANYTHING INFINITY (Gauntlet, War, Crusade, Abyss) along with all of the tie-ins.

The latter would be pretty hot. I'd consider buying that.
    I'm thinking it will be the latter (or even both combined) in order to pad out a $500 box set.
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 08-18-2016 at 11:43 PM.

Default Daredevil Volume 1 (1964)

I finally finished reading Daredevil Volume 1 (1964), issues #1-380 & #-1, along with other DD mini-series such as “Battlin’ Jack Murdock” and “Man Without Fear”. “Yellow” will be covered during my reading of Daredevil Volume 2 (1998) - which should be in the near future - as it touches on relevant changes in Matt’s personal life from that time period. I used the Marvel Masterworks 1-8 HC series, Essential Vol. 4 TPB (I didn’t have the relevant MMW books at the time), Daredevil vs. Bullseye TPB (cheapest way of getting hold of Daredevil #131 – first Bullseye appearance), Daredevil Lone Stranger TPB, the Daredevil Miller Omnis and the Epic Collections (A Touch of Typhoid, Fall From Grace and Widow’s Kiss). The gaps were filled in by the actual floppies. The only issues I was missing from the regular Daredevil series were #111, #344 & #354, which I managed to find a synopsis or two of. Fortunately, issue #111 (first appearance of Silver Samurai) will be covered in the upcoming Marvel Masterworks Daredevil Vol. 11 HC.

In addition, I read through the major Marvel events as I went along (incl. Secret Wars and Secret Wars II Omnis, Acts of Vengeance & Crossovers Omnis, Infinity Gauntlet Omni) and also as many of Matt Murdock’s appearances in other mags which I could get hold of. Out of all of his guest appearances, he would crop up the most often in Amazing Spider-Man, Defenders, Marvel Team-Up, Punisher War Journal and Marvel Comics Presents.

During my read, there were of course high and low moments and some so-so. I quite enjoyed the Silver Age, although I disliked the Mike Murdock stories and was so grateful when they were “rid" of him. Gene Colan with his “out of panel” art made Daredevil one step ahead of other comics and contributed a lot to making the reading experience more bearable as some of the writing was not the best. Initially, I wasn’t all that keen on Colan’s art but grew to truly appreciate the fluidity of the characters he portrayed. Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway on writing were pretty decent as was Tony Isabella on his short stint. Steve Gerber picked up after a while following several mundane issues, whereas I found Marv Wolfman’s plots absurd and a real chore to get through.

Bob Brown, a highly underrated and forgotten artist was one of the highlights of the Silver/Bronze era and a worthy successor to Colan and predecessor to Miller and Mazzucchelli. I truly enjoyed Brown’s art. When Frank Miller and Klaus Janson, followed by David Mazzucchelli came onto the scene, they brought a new meaning to the word quality and no doubt in my mind, were the high point of Daredevil Volume 1. In between the two fantastic Miller runs, Denny O’Neill on writing and William Johnson proved pretty good, although the “Micah” storyline dragged on a bit too long. Issue #208 entitled “The Deadliest Night of My Life” written by Harlan Ellison (his one and only Daredevil story) and Arthur Byron Cover and drawn by David Mazzucchelli was truly outstanding and is one of my all-time favourite Daredevil stories. Truly a little masterpiece.

I wrote my thoughts some time ago on the Ann Nocenti run. Without repeating myself, I will say in a nutshell that it was at times interesting and enjoyable and at other times a convoluted mess. The art by John Romita JR and Al Williamson was very good and in my opinion, along with the TMWF miniseries, had JRJR at his peak. What followed Nocenti, I can only say was probably the darkest time in Daredevil comic history – the DG Chichester/Scott McDaniel era. Lee Weeks initially on art was the only redeeming factor and The Fall of the Kingpin storyline was barely ok, but the rest was a true travesty. The art by McDaniel in the “Dead Man’s Hand’ storyline was ugly and messy. A change in art style by McDaniel for the “Fall from Grace” and “Tree of Knowledge” arcs proved chaotic and incoherent at times. Chichester on writing showed a lack of knowledge of who Matt Murdock was and caused complete chaos and confusion with numerous new characters lacking sufficient introduction and description as well as a host of unnecessary and pointless guest appearances by other superheroes. Several “Alan Smithee” issues followed Chichester, and were extremely bad (it’s possible these were really penned by Chichester). IMO, the Chichester/McDaniel/”Smithee” era has to be the absolute lowest point in the Daredevil ongoing series.

What came after was a breath of fresh air. Writers Karl Kesel and afterwards Joe Kelly truly turned things around bringing back, amongst other things, Karen Page, Foggy and Matt Murdock’s life including his law practice. The “darkness” disappeared as well as welcome appearances by Black Widow. Cary Nord’s art was also pretty interesting with fine detail on the faces of the characters. The Joe Kelly ongoing run is covered in the Daredevil Widow’s Kiss Epic Collection TPB and which I would recommend to anyone remotely interested in Daredevil.

Two sites proved especially helpful when sorting through the chronology of DD’s appearances outside of his regular ongoing series - SuperMegaMonkey and CrushingKrisis

Thanks for bearing with me if you read through my post

so....I guess you like Daredevil, huh?

Great effort btw, congrats, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do the same with any characters no matter how much I like them if there isn't a consistent creative team and vision.

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

Great effort btw, congrats, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do the same with any characters no matter how much I like them if there isn't a consistent creative team and vision.
    I did it with Amazing Spider-Man 1-350. Was a damn good time but at times tough.

Spectacular Member

Speaking of daredevil, that new printing Brubaker omni, is it just the first one or both put together? Because the second on its own with the new paper would be soooo thin. Maybe thinner than elektra?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I finally finished reading Daredevil Volume 1 (1964), issues #1-380 & #-1, along with other DD mini-series
    Nice! How long did it take if you don't mind my asking?

The only two Marvel series I've done that on are ASM 1-545 (after One More Day I dropped the book) and Hulk #1 - thru the end of Mark Waid's run (the Doc Green stuff). But that's over a lifetime of reading and not all at once all the way thru in consecutive order. Like you, that consists of MMWs, Essentials, single issues and various TPBs. Back in the day I used to have all the ASM single issues from the #180s thru 545 and all the Hulk single issues from the #270s thru Bruce Jones' run in the early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

Yup, sure do DD was my first comic, followed by Hulk and Captain Britain back in the day. And thanks btw.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Nice! How long did it take if you don't mind my asking?

The only two Marvel series I've done that on are ASM 1-545 (after One More Day I dropped the book) and Hulk #1 - thru the end of Mark Waid's run (the Doc Green stuff). But that's over a lifetime of reading and not all at once all the way thru in consecutive order. Like you, that consists of MMWs, Essentials, single issues and various TPBs. Back in the day I used to have all the ASM single issues from the #180s thru 545 and all the Hulk single issues from the #270s thru Bruce Jones' run in the early 2000s.
    You know, I can't quite remember, maybe a year or so. I would have to check when I purchased certain books containing earlier issues such as the Best of Fantastic Four Vol. 1 OHC (DD in FF #39-40) and the Essential DD Vol. 4 as MMW DD Vol. 9 HC wasn't yet available. Like you, I have a ton of DD floppies. I bought the recent Epic TPBs even though I had the majority of the floppies also.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    It looks like the next box set from Marvel will be Infinity Gauntlet.

David Gabriel (Marvel SVP): "Three years ago we launched a $500 box set of Masterworks, reprinting the original run. We followed that up with the Secret Wars run, followed by Civil War in its entirety. For next year, we’ll be doing a Star Wars. It won’t be quite $500 because there wasn’t so much material to put in there. It’ll be all the movie adaptations that have been done over the years up through Force Awakens. So that will all be collected. I’m sure we’ll be doing something with Infinity Gauntlet after that"
    I'm glad I held off from buying the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus (though there my be a reprint coming up this year) as I'm sure a few will come up for sale when this box comes out.

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I'm glad I held off from buying the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus (though there my be a reprint coming up this year) as I'm sure a few will come up for sale when this box comes out.
    Am I correct that the box set volumes are all standard size, rather than over-sized like Marvel omnis? Apart from the price, that's the thing that would keep me from going that route. On the other hand, if Marvel would start reprinting all the Premiere Classics as over-sized "Deluxe" editions, I'd be all over that.

I decided to read the Squirrel Girl trades, but it looks like the first one is out of print. I see there is an OHC coming out in November, though. Hmm, should I wait so I can start at the beginning? I have the other 2 already.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
    Am I correct that the box set volumes are all standard size, rather than over-sized like Marvel omnis? Apart from the price, that's the thing that would keep me from going that route. On the other hand, if Marvel would start reprinting all the Premiere Classics as over-sized "Deluxe" editions, I'd be all over that.
    They are the same size as the masterworks (ie, yes you are correct ).

Amazing Member

I'm afraid to open my Secret Wars II omnibus because I have a feeling it will fall apart if I do.

DSC05155.jpg
    DSC05157.jpg

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by mooch View Post
    I decided to read the Squirrel Girl trades, but it looks like the first one is out of print. I see there is an OHC coming out in November, though. Hmm, should I wait so I can start at the beginning? I have the other 2 already.
    Even with the OHC coming out I can't believe they'd let a seller like that sit out of print. Also, IST and CGN still have it, so there's no telling if Amazon being out of stock is a signal or not.

And, finally, I can't imagine the OHCs will come out very quickly, so if you wait and wind up liking it you'll always be over a year behind.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeze View Post
    I'm afraid to open my Secret Wars II omnibus because I have a feeling it will fall apart if I do.

DSC05155.jpg
    DSC05157.jpg
    Nah. Oftentimes it's only the top of the ribbon that looks like that and it's glued fine down the binding. If not, it's an easy repair with pva glue.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Even with the OHC coming out I can't believe they'd let a seller like that sit out of print. Also, IST and CGN still have it, so there's no telling if Amazon being out of stock is a signal or not.

And, finally, I can't imagine the OHCs will come out very quickly, so if you wait and wind up liking it you'll always be over a year behind.

But also an omnibus is guaranteed eventually.