Page 41 of 1384 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551911415411041 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Michelinie Iron man definitely, haven't read Byrne FF but most people here said that the first volume is not as good as the second which (and the fact that the FF doesn't interest me too much) put me off.
    Squadron Supreme writing wise definitely up there or even above UXM IMHO, the art is not so much but it's not bad at all.
    I'm currently reading Doc Savage Archives: The curtis Magazin era, which was a Marvel imprint or something like that but this collection is from Dynamite. It's black and white with gray washes but it's an oversized hc (even wider than the regular hardcovers) and the stories are really good IMO, sooo much fun, true pulp adventures and the art is great. Also there are some articles and interviews as well.
    I can't wait to finally get around to reading my Doc Savage Archives. What an awesome looking book!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogtown View Post
    One of my favorite releases of the year. Absurd pulp fun. Really nice build with great binding and quality paper stock.
    So true! Much better than if Marvel had published it!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I can't wait to finally get around to reading my Doc Savage Archives. What an awesome looking book!
    Why is that smaller publishers like DYNAMITE, IDW, DARK HORSE and FANTAGRAPHICS can produce top of the line books yet MARVEL AND DC with basically unlimited financial resources keeps lowering the quality of its books? How much do you think MARVEL spends annually on its collected edition program? Probably less then what AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON made in like an hour. You would think they could manufacture a book (especially a book with a an MSRP of $125) that you didn't have to handle like a new born kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Why is that smaller publishers like DYNAMITE, IDW, DARK HORSE and FANTAGRAPHICS can produce top of the line books yet MARVEL AND DC with basically unlimited financial resources keeps lowering the quality of its books? How much do you think MARVEL spends annually on its collected edition program? Probably less then what AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON made in like an hour. You would think they could manufacture a book (especially a book with a an MSRP of $125) that you didn't have to handle like a new born kitten.
    Because people bought the Hawkeye Omnibus and told marvel to not only lower the quality, but to jack the price while there is a cheaper option.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Correct me if I am wrong, but those other publishers are not sub-companies in a giant media empire that has shareholders?

Thanks for the replies! Happy to hear about the UXM omnis being the same build, i know alot of people don't like the current state of the marvel omnis but UXm vol 2 is atleast a few steps above the hickman FF omnis.

Definitely gonna go for the pretty much all the spider man omnis/all x men/The iron man one you guys have been talking about/maybe FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Because people bought the Hawkeye Omnibus and told marvel to not only lower the quality, but to jack the price while there is a cheaper option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but those other publishers are not sub-companies in a giant media empire that has shareholders?
    Both of these I think are the right answer.

They're their own companies, while Marvel and Dc are part of giant media corporations with shareholders that value profit margins differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    You tease.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    When the Star Wars Epic TPs were first announced I was mildly interested. I'm a long time SW fan, but for whatever reason, I've never read much of the Dark Horse material (aside from Dark Empire and the movie adaptions). However, when the SW Epics started flooding the Marvel solicitations, I began to feel a little overwhelmed. Where do I start? How could anyone keep up with all of these fast-appearing titles across various SW eras? You could choose the Old Republic, New Republic, Empire, etc. It was all a little overwhelming to try and make sense of if you hadn't read that material before or weren't 100% up to speed on the intricacies of SW's long and vast continuity.

That being said, I stopped into my local BAM store during lunch break yesterday and found the SW Empire & SW New Republic Epics in their clearance aisle for $10 ea (marked down from $35), and they weren't even remaindered. I thought, what the heck, I'll give them a try at that price. To be honest they're pretty great reads. I plowed thru about half of the Empire Epic last night alone. It bridges the gap between Episodes III-IV and is really, really good. If you haven't tried it, and are even mildly curious about the content, I highly recommend it. This volume showcases the struggle of the remaining Jedi post-Episode III as Darth Vader hunts them across the galaxy. The stories also continually remind the reader of Anakin's despair over losing Padme and frustrations hunting down Obi-Wan Kenobi for revenge. Good stuff. This is a Vader who is learning to master the dark side, and he's utterly ruthless.

I briefly skimmed the New Republic Epic and apparently it picks up after Return of the Jedi and features story lines revolving around the "classic" cast plus Mara Jade. Also looking forward to reading that one next. Good stuff.

PS .. they also had the Spider-Man Complete Alien Costume Saga v1 for $12 on clearance and it wasn't remaindered either. Head's up if anyone's interested in these books. Get 'em cheap while they last!
    I was wondering this week if the stories in the Star Wars Epic collections were any good. I never read any of that stuff, but I'm really enjoying the new Marvel series and was looking for more Star Wars comics to read. So thanks for that timely post, you convinced me to try them

As for the three "Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years" Omnibuses, are they also great reads ?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QComix View Post
    I was wondering this week if the stories in the Star Wars Epic collections were any good. I never read any of that stuff, but I'm really enjoying the new Marvel series and was looking for more Star Wars comics to read. So thanks for that timely post, you convinced me to try them

As for the three "Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years" Omnibuses, are they also great reads ?
    The omni's are mostly nostalgia-based. The stories aren't really more than just fun stories, where as the Epics contain some actually great stories.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Not really.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    The omni's are mostly nostalgia-based. The stories aren't really more than just fun stories, where as the Epics contain some actually great stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by mooch View Post
    Not really.
    Thanks guys, I'll avoid the omnis then! Quite a relief for my wallet Especially considering that Volumes 1 & 2 are quite expensive for the page count!

Thanks guys, I'll avoid the omnis then! Quite a relief for my wallet Especially considering that Volumes 1 & 2 are quite expensive for the page count!

Actually over on the good deal thread, they're saying that volume 2 is going for about $35-$38 on Amazon. That said, I still wouldn't recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Actually over on the good deal thread, they're saying that volume 2 is going for about $35-$38 on Amazon. That said, I still wouldn't recommend them.
    I hear that! I saw volume 2 for $36 on Amazon and then looked at the issues on Marvel Digital Unlimited. After I saw it, I knew I'd never want to read those stories with their half-baked Infantino art, so MDU saved me $36. Yeah!